Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Spanish museums' senior rates, for EU citizens only?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been looking at the web pages of some of the famous Spanish Museums, trying to decide whether it's worth buying a multi-attraction pass, only to find some ambiguity in the so-called "reduced rate" for over 65. Does it apply only to EU citizens or to tourists from North America as well? Thanks.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 12:35 AM

The "senior" discounts didn't work for me in Madrid..Was asked for my passport when trying to purchase and was told Spaniards only!! Didn't make much difference. However..Rail tickets can be cheaper with a Gold Pass (5Euros). Purcjase at travel agents or train station.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Well, amer_can, I don't know what happened to you, but I emailed Prado directly, and this is their reply: "we inform you that reduced price is for people aged over 65 years of any nationality."
So my question is answered directly from the horse's mouth, so to speak.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 09:41 AM

Goletian..glad to hear...I probably just ran into the wrong ticket seller at the Prado and also the Palace. Next time I will know better..God willing there will be a next time!!!
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 10:36 AM

I've never encountered any problems getting the senior discount (now that I am able to) once you show them your identifications (passport or drivers license).

You do need a passport in order to purchase Renfe's Tarjeta Dorada and be at least 60 years of age.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 10:56 AM

If you are in doubt, or don't see it offered at the ticket desk, don't be too shy to ask. Most of the time the answer is yes. Sometimes, for a church museum, everybody has to pay the same.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 12:55 PM

I have seen non- Spaniards getting it in Barcelona ..Miro Fundacion andmMueum of Modern Art.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 02:01 PM

There isn't one big rule for the whole country, I'm sure it can vary by museum. The Sofia Reina clearly states it is only for EU citizens. I agree the Prado website was ambiguous as it says something like "citizens over 65" and if it was anyone over 65, that was an odd way to word it. They should take lessons from the Reina Sofia in terms of writing their website rules. Also, it included reduced tarifs for large families, and that is generally a particular benefit rendered by the national govt in various places (like France, also). The Palacio Real website also clearly states that you do have to be an EU citizen for the senior discounts (or the iberoamerican countries).
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 03:03 PM

Always ask, the worst they could say is no, the best, YES! When we were in Spoleto, Italy last year, the young woman at the desk of a fascinating ancient dwelling museum, one of a number of archeological findings beneath the present day city, gave us a senior discount on sight. From that point on, we asked at the regional museums we toured, and if one was offered, they gave it to us.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 02:50 AM

Last November my husband got the reduced rate. He showed his passport and they were very nice about the whole thing.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 12:16 AM

most of times is only for Eu citizens, sometimes they give it any way, I guess it is good to really look Senior ( I wish I didn't but I do ) , in Rome in the amazing museum on top of Capitol Hill
The woman simply looked at me and gave me the free ticket, I guess on Wednesday there are free tickets for Seniors in many places,... in Seville in the Alcazar , I am sure the benefit applies to anyone of any nationality over 60 providing an ID, however in same city Seville ,in the Museum of Bella's Artes it is only for EU citizens. I agree it is good to ask, you never know, actually in this museum they let me in anyway After they told me it is only for EU citizens, I guess he agreed with me that it is an unfair
Rule...who knows...
In my experience Italians and Spaniards can offer warmth, kindness, simply because they are what they are the most illustrative annecdote I can rely happened in the University of Salamanca,
The visit of the library with the into cables , antique book etc is only visited by special invitation.We had been invited and we're with a small group inside the library which is separated from the corridor by a huge glass wall. The library Director himself was giving us a lecture, a small group of 4 or 5 tourists knocked the glass door hoping to get in too. The guy goes an tells them Sorry people
are allowed only by special invitation. ....after a second thought he tells them, Ok get in.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 12:24 AM

I wish to add in someplaces the stren answer is NO WAY, even rude like in the Uffici in Florence and in
Rome in the beautiful Museum Villa Borguese..... By the way I meant before the Campidoglio Museum in bRome
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 05:57 AM

I took a look at Prado's website
in English,,it says persons over 65
in Spanish, it says citizens over 65

go figure.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 09:04 AM

I read it (Prado site) in French, and it says citizens. This is not a difficult translation, if they wanted to say persons vs. citizens in various languages, they could. Odd.

THis is what the Prado website says in English, don't know where you saw persons
<<Reduced price: 6 €
Citizens over 65
Members of large families
Holders of youth cards>>
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 10:12 AM

Sorry, I had it inverted...persons in Spanish, citizens in English
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 10:15 AM

Personas mayores de 65 años
Miembros de familias numerosas según dispone la Ley 40/2003, de 18 de noviembre, de Protección a las Familias Numerosas y Real Decreto 1621/2005, de 30 de diciembre, "