Search

Spanair stopping flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spanair stopping flights

Hi all,

as of this midnight, Spanair is closing down and stopping flights.

The company hasn´t informed it officially yet, but flights are cancelled, online selling is stopped ...

There might be people who has bought tickets, specially for intra-Spain flights or connections, so you might do good in trying to contact them and see what options are they offering. There are plans to reallocate travellers in other airlines, but that might be only for the next days.

http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2012/01/...57_912827.html

There is a national phone number for the affected passengers : 902 131415.

Rgds, Cova
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 11:25 AM

Wow - that's huge news. This is going to have a huge ripple effect on the other airlines flying these routes. I guess that I'm not so worried now about my flights with Air Europa in March
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Cathy, I would double check. Air Europa used to operate flights between Madrid and Bilbao ... and it was a code-share with Spanair (their 19:00 Sunday flight from Bilbao to Madrid used to be almost always cancelled since last summer). I guess they might have had more code-shares within Spain.

Bye, Cova
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 11:36 AM

I'm flying Air Europa Paris to Valencia on a code share with Air France. Then Valencia to Mallorca and Mallorca to Sevilla - booked directly with Air Europa. So I think I'm OK. Never flown them and now will do it 3x in 2 weeks!

But thanks for looking out for me
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Yes, your flights look fine

Easyjet has just announced that they are beginning the route Madrid-Bilbao next Monday, instead of the 19th of February, and are offering a special price to the Spanair passengers.

It is going to be complicated ...

Cova
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 12:26 PM

This might somehow give a little more insight to the unbelievably low airfare booked through Orbitz on Spanair and flown by USAirways from BOS to MAD this past November 2011. We paid $350 rt total. It was too good to be true, yet it was. We were able to go to Madrid and discover how much we liked the city.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 12:41 PM

Good riddance. An awful airline and their demise is well-deserved.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 04:58 PM

Oh dear,

I have a Continental flight from Madrid in July , starting from La Coruña in Spanair. Great!
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 03:43 AM

(from Spanair's website --the site is currently not available--)
Spanair's website access not available. The 'communication' said:

Spanair comunication to their customers
January 27th of 2012
Spanair advises today, the 28th January 2012, that the airline has suspended operations. Due to these exceptional circumstances all our flights are canceled
- In case you have acquired a ticket with Spanair to fly in the next days or weeks, there are different alternatives:
a- If you have paid the ticket by credit card, please ask for information from your credit card issuer or bank about the different refund options.
b- If you have travel insurance, please contact your insurance provider to receive information about coverage.
c- If you have bought your ticket in a travel agency, please contact them.
d- If you have purchased a ticket with Spanair that is operated by another airline, in principle your flight will be unaffected. However for clarification we suggest you contact the operating airline.
e- Spanair, in cordination with the Generalitat, has reached an agreement with Vueling, Iberia & Air Europa. For all those passengers that bought tickets to fly in the next three days they will be have the option of a special fare. For more information visit the websites of these companies.
f- In all other cases to claim the refund of your ticket, please contact:
· Spanair sales offices
· AENA help desks located in airports in Spain
· Tourist information offices in Spain.
· Catalan consumer agency
- Spanair is permanently in contact with the Spanish aeronautical authorities and the airports where the airline operates its flights to deal with this situation.
- The Spanair contact center (Telephone number within Spain: 900 13 14 15 and from outside Spain: +34 971 916 047) and our Spanish sales offices in the airports will remain open to attend to customers.
- Spanair apologises to all our customer affected by this situation
Barcelona, January 27th of 2012
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

well ... regarding the change of tickets, Spanair is not offering anything. You can ask for a refund and then you have to look for your own flights. It is true that the other companies are offering special fares, but it is not being offered by Spanair.

They should be in charge of all these changes, but they are trying to avoid it and leave all the work in the passengers and the government.

And then ... the workers, knowing that they are losing their jobs, have to be at the airport and justify the actions of the owners. It is quite a disaster, truly.

Bye, Cova
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 07:45 AM

Cova the company is no longer trading so they will not be offering anything, they cannot purchase flue, more paper for the tickets, money for the website, money for electricity, etc etc. So do not blame the workers for anything.
The Government of Spain is going to go after the management for miss-management of the company.
http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Worl...ir_712573.html
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 09:48 AM

about two thousand people have lost their jobs...at 23 % unemployment one can only feel sorry for the workers.
The fish smells from the head...