Spain Pharmacies - good stuff?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To piggyback the French pharmacy post, I wanted to know if there are any similar suggestions for Spain. I travel to Italy quite often and know all the goodies I can find there. I haven't been to Spain in several years and was only there briefly. I love finding beauty products or over-the-counter medicines that are more effective in other countries. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Hello stellamarina, I don't know anything about pharmacies in Spain but I can tell you if they are like the pharmacies in Italy if you talk to the pharmacists you will get excellent advice about over the counter medications. As good as talking to a doctor (assuming ones problem in not life threatening of course). I would think it would be the same in Spain. It is in Mexico also. Best wishes.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 12:51 PM

I got some cough syrup with codein from a farmacia in Granada that worked nicely. Without knowing the Spanish words for cough and syrup, I was able to make my need known by miming coughing and drinking. It worked so nicely, in fact, that I bought another bottle the day before returning to the US and am ready for my next upper respiratory infection.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice! Much appreciated.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 04:27 AM

Hi Stellamarina,

I think that parafarmacias will be more what you are looking for (specially regarding beauty products).

Regarding normal pharmacies, yes, the pharmacist degree takes at least 5 years at the University, and many times their counsel is better than some doctor´s ... You can check with them, although like in France, many former OTC products are beginning to require a prescription.

Although nothing will beat the OTC Botoina we have just seen advertised all over Italy

Kind regards,
Cova
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 03:57 AM

many of your prescription medications here, except hypnotics, can be bought over the counter..
amoxililan--(sp?) is called "clamoxyl" or there are generics and it is a fraction of the cost.

however, due to antibiotic abuse, it seems these bacteria are needing more and more of the designer ( and expensive here) lab drugs that have been created. but they, too, are bought ususally with no script.

Old Sep 11th, 2005, 03:57 AM

many of your prescription medications here, except hypnotics, can be bought over the counter..
amoxililan--(sp?) is called "clamoxyl" or there are generics and it is a fraction of the cost.

however, due to antibiotic abuse, it seems these bacteria are needing more and more of the designer ( and expensive here) lab drugs that have been created. but they, too, are bought usually with no script.