Spain or Greece

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 08:22 PM
Tom

Spain or Greece

I've seen a question asking "Spain or Italy?", but I have a similar question. During the next Spring break (one week in late March) I plan to take my family which includes a teenager to either (southern) Spain or Greece. Once I considered Canary Islands, but now I think we should go to either Spain or Greece. Having been to Rome last year, we thought discovering other country would be a better idea than visit other parts of Italy. Do you recommend southern Spain or Greece? Weather is one of major considerations (should not be too cold). It looks like most people recommend Italy over Spain. Shall I give up the idea and go to Italy again? Any suggestions?

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 11:39 PM
Cal Duke

We went to Crete, the largest Greek Isle, last April and loved it.--Very friendly,
great food, interesting day trips (via
both car and tour bus), and we took a
full day ferry ride to the beautiful
Isle of Santorini.--We plan to go back
to Santorini for sure!--Gorgeous 365 degree views of the Mediterranean Sea.
In Greece, we recommend bringing your
sweaters in March and April and the
same applies to Spain (especially at
night)...As for Spain, we're going to
Malaga the end of September. My wife
says if I loved Greece, I would love
southern Spain also because of similar terrain, scenery, attractions,
hospitality, etc...Oh yeah, if you go
to Greece, be sure and take a guided
bus tour to a traditional Greek village
in the mountains and sample some hearty
food, spirits and hospitality. HAPPY TRAILS!

Suggestions in Greeece are: 1. Take a
guided bus tour while in Greece with
a traditional "Greek night" at a village.
2.Rent a car but be careful on the
primitive roads, and 3. Bring your
sweaters during March and April for sure.

As for Spain, we're going to Malaga in
southern Spain on Sept. 18th for a week.
My wife says if I loved Greece, I'll
love Spain.--She says the terrain,
climate

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 09:40 AM
elvira

If you're looking for a semi-relaxing vacation, then consider renting a house or condo on a Greek island - inexpensive, and gives you a good base to explore. It also means more room to spread out (and some privacy for the teenager). Ditto in southern Spain.

If you want to do a more labor/travel-intensive trip, then either Spain or Greece, visiting the cities for museums, ruins, etc.

Both countries will offer reasonably good weather. Just a matter of choosing what you want to see (Goyas, or statues with no noses?)

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 01:50 PM
lisa

This is a hard one. I haven't been to Spain but hope to soon because I keep hearing such great things about it. But I have been to Italy twice and it certainly merits another visit. Venice and Florence are glorious as is the northern part near Switzerland. But I loved Greece too. I guess if I were you, since you went to Italy last year, I would choose someplace different this year so go with Greece or Spain. However, if you do go to Greece please do yourself a favor and don't spend too much of your precious time in Athens. It's pricey, crowded, polluted, and I just found it not nearly as nice as spending a week on one of the lovely islands. Had to see the Acropolis, etc. but should have spent only one night in Athens at most and left ASAP. The people in the smaller villages are nicer, the food is better, everything is less expensive, and the scenery is gorgeous!

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 12:24 AM
Marina

The southern part of Spain is just georgeous, and believe me, not just because I live here! Spring time is a beautiful season to visit, either alone or with family. Cities such as Sevilla (don´t miss it, but it gets crowded during Easter and the "Feria de Abril"), Granada and Córdoba are a must.Andalucía (which is the name of the region) combines tradition, nice people,fantastic food and wine, beautiful places to hang out and relax. If you want to stay by the beach, Cádiz offers amazing and sandy beaches (better than Málaga, I have to say, althoug this one has sunshine all year long..) Impossible to describe everything in just a few lines..I am sure you´ll love it. Get a good map and directions.

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 07:33 PM
Tom

Thank you all for good suggestions. I think I will go to Spain this time. I am sure I will have more questions as my plan firms up. Hope you will help me again then.
Tom

Old Sep 10th, 1999, 01:42 PM
Marisa

Tom,

I lived in southern Spain for two years. Was a great experience. If you have any questions drop me an email and I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

Marisa

Old Sep 11th, 1999, 09:00 AM
Cheryl Z.

Glad you decided on Spain 'cuz you can hop over to Portugal too. We loved both, especially Portugal. Earlier this year, end of April, beginning of May we found Madrid very cold and rainy, further South warm and dry, and Lisbon very hot. so you may encounter similar weather - be prepared.

Old Sep 14th, 1999, 05:59 PM
Tom

Cheryl, thanks. I agree Portugal is a nice place to visit. But I don't think I will be able to go there this time because I have only a week, and I've been to the Lisbon area twice already.
Tom

Old Sep 14th, 1999, 06:04 PM
Tom

Marina, thanks for your suggestions. I am almost certain that if I go anywhere at all during the Spring break, I will go to Seville/Cordoba/Granada, Spain. I have your email address and will send you some questions probably in the beginning of the next millenium!

Old Sep 14th, 1999, 11:44 PM
Bobby Ghosh

Tom,
I've been to both countries in the past 18 months (and Italy, too), and I think Spain's the best of the lot. The weather will be perfect, the people are always wonderful, the food's terrific and the scenery eye-popping.
Greece is great for history and for its islands. But for an all-round fun holiday, nothing beats Spain.
Have Fun,
Bobby

Don't limit yourself to southers Spain (as beautiful as it is), though. Make sure you visit Barcelona.

Old Sep 14th, 1999, 11:49 PM
Bobby Ghosh

Oh, and if you decide on Spain, you might consider these excellent hotels:
Seville: La Rabida
Granada: Dauro II
Cordoba: El Califa
Barcelona: Hotel Continental
Cheers,
Bobby

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 10:56 AM
Sheri

Message for Cal. My husband and I are considering Malaga, Spain for a trip this spring. Do you have tips? Places to stay?

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 10:56 AM
Sheri

Message for Cal. My husband and I are considering Malaga, Spain for a trip this spring. Do you have tips? Places to stay?