ATM in Florence Airport

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 07:13 AM
Brian in Atlanta

ATM in Florence Airport

The Visa web site does not list a Visa/Plus ATM at the Florence airport. Has anyone using the Plus network been able to use an ATM at the airport?

If not, I guess I'll just have to change some dollars for the taxi ride and hit an ATM in town.

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 08:46 AM
cheryl

Brian-

I didn't try to use an ATM at the Florence airport, so I don't remember if there was one, but the airport is quite small and not particularly modern. I wouldn't count on finding an ATM there, and even if there is one, I wouldn't necessarily count on it working. Even the monitors for arrivals and departures didn't work when we were there in May.

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 09:29 AM
Brian in Atlanta

That's what I was afraid of. There will be currency exchange booths, right?

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 10:37 AM
cheryl

Brian-

For the Florence airport, think bus station, and you'll have a more realistic picture. The only amenities I recall at the Florence airport were a snack bar and an information booth. The information booth may have exchanged money, but I don't think I would count on it. My advice would be to take some lire with you from the states. You'll only lose a couple of bucks on the exchange rate if you take $50 worth of lire with you, and the piece of mind will be worth it. Let me know if I can be of any other help, I absolutely adore Florence.

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 10:38 AM
Valerie

Brian, the Currency Exchange desk is right next to the exit to leave the airport. You can't miss it.

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 10:48 AM
cheryl

I'm glad Valerie was more observant than I was about the exchange booth.

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 11:33 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Thanks for the help guys. I just went downstairs and bought $60 worth of Lira in the branch. The rate wasn't that bad - 4.5% below today's wholesale rate, but if I wasn't an employee, I would have been socked with a $5 fee. Ouch.

And with that, I'm off. Ciao.