Spain in July with 2 teenage girls

Old Apr 18th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain in July with 2 teenage girls

My daughter has decided that we should travel to Barcelona this summer. We have 10 days to 2 weeks to travel. We are thinking 5 days in Barcelona and rent an apartment. We rented an apartment in Paris a few years ago for a week and we had the best time. I know there is lots to do in Barcelona. I just need help with the rest. We don't like to move from hotel to hotel but would rather go to one central place and take day trips. I need some suggestions. My husband doesn't want to go to Madrid. In his words he wants to breathe and eat like the Spanish. What is a nice town we can rent a nice apartment and some suggestions on day trips.
thanks
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 08:32 PM

Madrid is a Spanish city and Barcelona is an international city. There are approximately 2.9 million madrilenos who would disagree with your husband.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 08:35 PM

"In his words he wants to breathe and eat like the Spanish" Sorry, but Madrid isn't that bad for breathing and eating, but in July I would head for the Basque coast, San Sebastian-Donostia or Bilbao.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 10:38 PM

In Juy much of Spain will be hellishly hot. The south often has temps over 100 degrees for a week or 10 days at a time and Madrid is often not much cooler.

Agree to head to the Atlantic Coast - as the Spanish do- for decent weather.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 11:10 PM

Another vote for San Sebastián and the Basque region. The Spanish have been going here in summmertime for more than a century for very good reasons. Many consider San Sebastián to be the most beautiful city in Spain. Some of the best city beaches in all of Europe, fantastic food and a culture that people take great pride in. Lots of nice villages along the coast towards vibrant Bilbao with the famous Guggenheim museum. If you go the other way, you're soon in France and places such as St. Jean de Luz and Biarritz. All within 60 mins driving from San Sebastián. The article "A different kind of Spain" gives you an idea: http://marshlands.blogstream.com/

"There is dining that features more Michelin starred restaurants per mile than Paris, New York, or Vienna. There is a culture brought Woody Allen to the city’s Film Festival last year, brings Herbie Hancock and Bob Dylan to this summer’s Jazz Fest, and embraces Gehry’s Guggenheim Museum just down the coast in Bilbao. There is the zest for life that drew Ernest Hemingway to nearby Pamplona and was immortalized in The Sun Also Rises.

San Sebastian’s setting on the coast is a panorama reminiscent of Rio de Janeiro - a horseshoe bay of blue water whose entrance is guarded by Mount Igueldo, a wide sandy beach circling the bay, green mountains extending all the way to the water, and a statue of Christ on Mount Orgull overlooking it all. At the back of the bay lies the city, clad largely in white, perched on the beach and the slopes heading up into the mountains".

17 Michelin stars in San Sebastián, but the best food experience might just as well be strolling around for the delicious pintxos/tapas served in every bar in this food-crazy town and really take in the atmosphere. According to Ferran Adrià (El Bulli) San Sebastián is the best place to eat in the world "in terms of the average quality of the food, in terms of what you can get at any place you happen to walk into".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...rink.shopping2

The 45th edition of the San Sebastián jazz festival takes place July 21-25.
http://www.heinekenjazzaldia.com/?language=en

You can fly Barcelona to Bilbao with Vueling from 25€. Direct bus every hour from Bilbao airport to San Sebastián in 75 mins.
http://www.vueling.com/
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 12:04 AM

"""My husband doesn't want to go to Madrid. In his words he wants to breathe and eat like the Spanish. """"
Well it seems most head for their vacation homes or rental homes on the Northern Coast. Anywhere from Basque country, through Asturias and onto Galicia...with Cantabria in between. It is called the Green coast.
But it is going to be hard to recommend somewhere because this is a large area of the country.
Maybe look at this area find something out and let us know, also method of travelling would be appreciated too.
Apart from a guide book have a read through
http://www.spain.info/ven/zonas-turi...erde.html?l=en
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 07:19 AM

We went to Barcelona for 5 days and San Sebastian for 5 days last July. I ended up wishing we had skipped Barcelona and spent 10 days in San Sebastian.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 02:52 AM

Rural guesthouse and farmhouse accommodation in the Basque Country
http://www.nekatur.net/Agroturismo-h...spx?lang=en-US