Spain in July 2017 with teens

Old Mar 15th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain in July 2017 with teens

My husband and I are planning a trip to Spain in July 2017 with our 16 year old daughter and 14 year old son. We have two weeks and are flying into Madrid. We were thinking 5 days in Madrid and 5 days in Barcelona, and trying to figure out what to do in between.

We discovered that the San Fermin Festival (Running of the Bulls) will be happening in Pamplona while we're there. Trying to decide if that will be fun for 2 days with 2 teenagers or a disaster. Any thoughts?

And we'd love any ideas on other places to visit between Madrid and Barcelona. Thinking it will be too hot for Andalucia, so thinking about San Sebastian, Bilbao and other towns in Northern Spain. Would love to hear any suggestions!

Also, when we've traveled in Europe, we've always loved the quieter rural towns more than the super crowded touristy cities - will 5 days each in Madrid and Barcelona be too much?

Thanks for the advice!
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 03:20 AM

San Fermín is heavy partying, but also lots of family activities, open air concerts, the fun fair and the best fiesta atmosphere and spirit I've experienced anywhere. People come back here year after year for good reasons, and a couple of days in Pampluna during the sanfermines could be an experience for a lifetime. But you should be very quick in getting accomodation, most of it is for sure already taken.

And Pamplona is only a short ride from beautiful San Sebastián, the culinary capital of Spain with three of the finest city beaches on the continent and a local culture that people take great pride in: http://www.euskoguide.com/places-bas...stian-tourism/
http://www.sansebastianturismo.com/e...o-to-the-beach

Could be five extremely hot days in wonderful Madrid, July is often more than 100F. But also time for the fabulous Veranos de la Villa festival (Summer in the city festival) with top national and international artists in theaters and on open air stages all around the city every night: https://www.esmadrid.com/en/whats-on...os-de-la-villa
http://www.veranosdelavilla.com/en/
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 09:14 AM

You have four days to fill between Madrid and Barcelona so two days in Pamplona and two in SS/Bilbao would do it. Pamplona will be VERY crowded and messy, but it is a premier fiesta, a once in a lifetime experience, as Kimhe says. Beyond those entertainments and fireworks, there are the bull runs in the early morning and the bullfights in the late afternoon - the most important events of the festival. I say go for it, but make your reservations immediately. Also for SS. You'll have a great deal of fun !
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 09:45 AM

If you like quieter cities, I'd recommend San Sebastian. I loved Granada but it'll be insanely hot in July. I personally would love to be in Pamplona for the running of the bulls but my husband said I'm on my own for that! I guess I'll have to do it in another lifetime or with some other crazy like-minded travelers. If you don't actually want to run with the bulls, you can always view them from the safety of a balcony.

Thinking back to when I was a teenager I think your kids will enjoy Barcelona because of the sites - plenty of Gaudi architecture to behold. I'm a huge fan of free walking tours and there are a variety of tours to join in Barcelona. I also really enjoyed San Sebastian - walk up to any pintxo bar and just eat your way through Old Town. My impression was SS was like an expensive getaway - seaside town with interesting and beautiful views at each end of the beach.

I wrote a trip report of my solo Spain trip to San Sebastian, Barcelona, Granada, and Seville:
http://fanofblank.blogspot.com/2014/...-in-spain.html
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 04:04 PM

Lindy - Viewing them from a balcony is quite expensive. Instead you can view them from behind the fence lining the street. It's free, and you get more of a sense of being in the run. No, don't run yourself. It's too dangerous.