Spain in early March

Search

Spain in early March

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2019, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain in early March

My husband and I are booked in an apartment in Valencia mid to late March - we'll be there for Las Fallas and more. We were in Valencia 2 years ago and loved it. I'm trying to figure out somewhere else in Spain to go beforehand for about 5 days which would be early March. We have traveled a lot in Spain and loved everywhere we've been - Barcelona, San Sebastian, Bilbao, Granada, Cordoba, Nerja, Girona.

Considerations are the weather - we are looking to get away from the severe winter cold where we live - and accessibility - don't want to go too far afield.

I am late 60s, he is early 70s. We like to try great food, museums, and mainly people, scene watching.

I have been thinking about Seville - I was there 40 years ago and loved it; he's never been and the weather would be good I believe; Madrid- again, I was there so long ago and him never and given all the time we've spent in Spain seems like we should spend time there, but maybe not great weatherwise at that time?; and Malaga - really because of what I've read on this board and maybe it's a little easier?

Would appreciate suggestions and any experiences in these places that time of year.

Thanks.

Last edited by joduhl; Aug 29th, 2019 at 04:51 AM.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 08:23 AM

Really, all those sound fine to me. You can't predict that the weather will be "good" in March in Seville. It isn't going to be freezing, of course, but I was there once at the end of March and it rained -- a lot -- and was a lot colder than I expected. Not freezing, sure, but I wore jeans and boots at night to go out, and had a jacket (waterproof, luckily). A couple days it was sunny and nice, though.

I am not following the logistics, I would think Madrid would be the easiest from Valencia to go to/from, not Malaga or Seville. you can get from Madrid by AVE in less than 2 hrs. It will take you probably 5-8 hrs to get to/from Seville or Malaga from Valencia, at least by train.

Maybe you meant Malaga would be easier in some other way than Madrid? Maybe, it is smaller. I think you can't go wrong, really, but don't think it is super quick to get from Seville to Valencia.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 08:24 AM

Definitely Seville. I loved my time there and think I could definitely spend 5 days enjoying myself there, but you also have the opportunity from there to do some day trips to Cordoba, Cadiz or Jerez!
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 09:28 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We spent a few days in March in Tarifa and had a blast. Warm weather, terrific scenery (white villages) and no crowds at all. We stayed at the Hurricane Hotel outside Tarifa - terrific place. We visited Medina Sidonia during Carnival, and saw the yet-to-be-burnt witch in the central square. You'd be there around the same time.

Pictures -

Hotel Hurricane

Baelo Claudia Roman ruins, between Tarifa and Cadiz

Kitesurfers, Tarifa

Vejer de la Frontera

Bruja, Medina Sidonia

Old Aug 29th, 2019, 01:59 PM

Seville is lovely, more to see than Malaga ( also nice)

We had rainy days in April in Seville and Madrid .

One can get from Valencia to Seville on AVE by changing trains in Madrid.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 02:47 PM

Sevilla, no question.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I booked an apartment in Seville for 5 nights and, yes, there are train connections through Madrid to Valencia. Madrid will have to wait for another time.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 06:34 PM
kja

Just for future reference, it's always wise to give Fodorites at least 24 hours to respond to a question, as we have different schedules.

Sevilla is a great choice -- enjoy!