spain for 5 days in august

May 27th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

spain for 5 days in august

Hello there. We are planning to spend 5 days in spain in August but do not know the best area to spend it. We have been looking on Ryan Air to book from england where we will be at that time. We have been told that Mallorca is great, Vallencia came up as well. Some say Girona or northern Spain because of the weather, beaches at this busy time would be good. Also, should we book lodging now at the same time as the flights or should we wait to get there, sounds risky to me. We have never been there, help!Please.
May 27th, 2006, 01:32 PM

August is too busy (and hot) in Spain so I advise you to book as soon as possible.
Advising you on where to spend the 5 days depends much on what you want to do. do you want to go to a beach resort? If so I highly recommend you Marbella.
If it's cultural Spain you're looking for my advise is to go to Barcelona, beautiful city, with plenty to see and do, and beaches nearby.
Madrid is too hot in August and it's not near the sea, so I woouldn't recommend you to go there at this time of year.
May 27th, 2006, 01:35 PM

You mentioned Mallorca as well, if it's beach and sun you want Mallorca is very nice but avoid staying in the touristy places like the Arenal, go north.
I prefer Ibiza to Marbella, though, you might consider it. In any of these places I strongly recommend you to rent a car.
May 27th, 2006, 01:36 PM

LOl, I meant to say I prefer Ibiza to Mallorca, not to Marbella, sorry.
May 27th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your reply. We would prefer to be at a beach side than inland. I am hoping to find something with nice beaches and some good shopping as well. Is it better to book/hire a car in Canada than in Spain? Ibiza better than Mallorca? Where is a good place to stay for lodging?
May 28th, 2006, 02:32 AM

Ibiza is much nicer than Mallorca in my opinion, because it's smaller also. If you want beach I advise you then to choose one of these islands over the south of Spain. Beaches in the south of Spain are not as nice as in the Balearics.

If you're going in August you should book everything ahead in Canada, lodging and car. August is the busiest month in any place and you might get there and find no caror hotel available.

I don't know what your budget is for lodging but have a look at this site because you have all the information you need on Ibiza and hotels, it's great: www.ibiza-hotels.com.

I stayed some years ago at the Playa Real Hotel and found it very nice, good location, near Ibiza town but in a quiet area .If you click on the left side of the screen at the site on " Hotel Fast List" you can see it , as well as many other hotels. It also has a link to rental cars where you can rent a car online.

For Mallorca try this site www.baleares.com.
May 28th, 2006, 02:39 AM

Forgot to add that my hotel was in Talamanca , close to Ibiza town but quiet area, so you can go to Ibiza at night ( if you like discos, Ibiza night is great) or during the day. There are many nice hotels in this area, check them at the site. You will have all the information you need.

A tip: Ibiza has many beautiful "callas" they are small beaches only reachable by car . Pick the car and find them. The water is warm and so clear you can see the many fishes in it.