Advice on Verdon Gorges of Provence

Old May 27th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on Verdon Gorges of Provence

Hello, I'm going to book a day tour from Aix-en-Provence tourisme. The tour will go to Plateau de Valensole for which is the reason I choose the tour. I know the Lavender fields there must be very beautiful. But the tour doesn't end here. It also includes the Mousiers, Verdon Gorges and the Sainte-Croix deVerdon Lake. But I haven't heard it before and haven't expect to go there. So, I read the travel books and it said Verdon Gorges is the most deepest canyon in Europe. It's road is "S" shape and the village Moustiers-Ste-Marie is a village on the high mountain. So, I really worry about whether it is safe to travel there. From my imagine, it is quite dangerous. I don't want any accident since my target is only the Lavender field of Valnesole. So, can anyone give some advice or share your experience on Verdon Gorges. Thanks!
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:07 PM

Irene,

We visited the Gorges du Verdun last fall and drove the route with no feeling of danger at all.....the road is winding in places with overhangs, but totally safe...well paved and wider than many village roads by far. The gorges is beautiful and worth a trip...I think you will find it a pleasure.
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Wow - isn't that a lot of driving. I heard other people say it takes forever to drive around that canyon.
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:55 PM

We did not drive the complete Gorges area, but rather, the most accessible and popular road, likely the same the tour bus would travel..there is definitely a longer, more winding route...we spent most of a day doing so, stopping here and there, a very leisurely drive, ending the trip with an overnight at Castellane...
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
It's a lovely drive and you can do as much of it as you want. We have done the full drive about 100 km, I think but this should help you. I like the way to the point subline.

http://www.provencebeyond.com/sites/verdon.html
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:31 PM

I have traveled throughout 24 countries in Europe and I think just maybe the Gorge de Verdon could be the most beautiful place I have visited. It is totally safe.

Larry J
Old May 28th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all your advice