Spain - day driver advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2017, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering hiring a driver to pick us up in Granada and drop us off in Seville - and making sightseeing stops along the way. We would need someone trustworthy (since our baggage would be with them during this time) and who speaks some English (not tons but enough). Anyone have a recommendation?
Old Jun 26th, 2017, 09:54 AM

This could be quite an expensive trip. If there are several of you, splitting the cost would make it more bearable. Your hotel in Granada should be able to come up with a licensed, bonded driver. Where do you want to stop, Cordoba and Ronda perhaps ? Do you drive ? If so, no worry. The roads in Spain are terrific. Why not rent a car and do the drive yourself.
Old Jun 26th, 2017, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

yeah...but then no wine for me! curious about the price and i'd want to arrange it ahead of time.
Old Jun 26th, 2017, 11:22 AM

So have your hotel arrange for a driver in advance. I would guesstimate that it would cost at least 500€. I would rent a car, drive to Cordoba, spend the night, drive on to Ronda, spend the night, and then on to Seville, if you're worried about alcohol. Think it would be way cheaper and more fun.
Old Jun 26th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

bedar: we're considering the car rental. we have one day to get from granada to sevilla. can arrive at night.
want to see the caves at pileta and then...some small town with lunch? then drive to sevilla.
i called autoeurope. it's a great rate for a 1 day car - i'd need to pick it up from rail station in granada and return it to rail station in sevilla (probably the next morning) but it's only a manual. i drive stick shift but my husband does not - so that means only me driving. it's a long day then - and no wine at lunch.

we need to be in sevilla that night but can figure out the whole day anyway we like. i had presumed we'd 'train' (which i now know to be bus and train ) to sevilla and just get there mid-day but then i started looking at that 'travel' day as a chance to get out of all the bigger towns we'll be in and go see those caves. (we saw the caves in the dordogne and just were entranced.)
Old Jun 26th, 2017, 02:46 PM

I lived in Spain for many years but never got to the Pileta caves, only the glorious one in Altamira in the north, so can't say how worthwhile it might be. I looked it up and saw that it's near Ronda and one has to have reservations to get in. BTW, AutoEurope also provides automatic tramsmission cars tho' they are more expensive. Since you have to be in Seville that night, I'd suggest taking the bus/train. Or, take the train to Ronda, a cab to the cave, and then a bus to Seville.
Old Jun 27th, 2017, 02:34 AM

You may want to do a Google search, or ask your lodgings now for recommendations or a quote. Other travel websites ask similar question and their quote was considerably less than 500 euro. Still more expensive than a one way car rental.
Old Jun 27th, 2017, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

bedar - the issue with the train to ronda then cab to cave then bus to seville is our luggage. is there luggage storage in rhonda rail station? then rail station to bus station.

also..autoeurope did an extensive search - no auto transmission one way rentals avail.
about to post separately about planning the day and driving.
thanks so much for your input.

quilting mamma -would you share which website? i have a $600 quote for an 8 hour day.