Search

Day trip from Sevilla

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip from Sevilla

Hello folks,

Will be visiting Sevilla from 21st to 25th May '19 with my wife and son (13 years) for 4 days. Looking for options to do a day trip (self driven car rental) on 24th May. I believe Cordoba is doable, any other recommendations ? On 25th will proceed from Sevilla to Marbella (self driven car rental) via Ronda and visiting one or more white villages.

Thanks for your time and any valuable suggestions.

Regards,
Nashh

Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 09:52 PM
kja

Many people visit Cordoba as a day trip from Sevilla; I was glad to spend 2 nights there, as it is extraordinary -- one of Spain's most magnificent gems. No need for a car, as it is easily reached by train.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 10:40 PM

We lived in Andalusia for a while and travelled all over the province by car. However, Sevilla was the one place I regretted using a car. Navigating the city is horrible as is the parking, 5hough I suppose if renting a car in te centre and driving out wouldn’t be to problematic!

One place you may want to consider, is El Caminito Del Rey - a stunning walk through the Chorro Gorge and more or less on the way to Rhonda. Some photos and detail on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/spain/

You need to book a time slot online in advance and I think can choose to get a guide (English available) or DIY.

I agree with kja that Córdoba is better done by train. Unlike Sevilla it is easy to both navigate and park, but you would probably want to spend at least half a day there ( the Mesquita alone takes a couple of hours at least) so it would be very packed day on the way to Malaga.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply Kja. So Cordoba is a "must visit" place and doable as a day trip from Sevilla.

Just wanted to know if it is practical and driving conditions is good around that region. Post Sevilla, I have plans to self drive to Marbella (stay overnight) and the finally to Malaga airport (to drop off the car).

Thanks again for your time and valuable feedback.

Regards,
Nashh

Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 11:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi Crellston.

Really appreciate your reply. No i am surely not driving around Sevilla. My stay is from 21st to 25th. Will do Sevilla from 21st to 23rd. 24th morning will pick up car (for 3 days) from Sevilla train station and head to Cordoba. The entire day will be spent in Cordoba. Will head back to Sevilla in the evening/night and stay in the hotel. 25th morning will drive to Marbella while doing Ronda and places as suggested by you guys. Will stay in Marbella for 2 nights. On 27th morning will start from Marbella to Malaga AGP (where I need to drop off the car) and take flight to Lisbon. Hope it makes sense.
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 02:22 AM

Once you are out of the city centres (be it Sevilla, Córdoba or Málaga), driving conditions are excellent. Check google maps for parkings in Córdoba. There are plenty!
While Córdoba is perfectly doable as a daytrip, you will regret not having booked a night or two. The city has too much to offer for just a brief one day visit. But then, you can't have it all.
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply MyriamC, will follow your advice.
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 04:35 AM

Agree about driving conditions. I was nervous to rent a car last month and eventually was sorry that I had not done so, and had to take a few taxis for long rides. Roads looked to be in excellent shape, well signed, not clogged with traffic, and with drivers that appeared to me (from the passenger seat) much more courteous and not as fast as those we encounter in Italy. (sorry, I love Italy but driving there has its challenges!)
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for letting me know the driving conditions out there.
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 11:34 PM
kja

@ ekscrunchy: I'm curious: where did you go that required long taxi rides? When I visited the area, I didn't find the need for any taxis except a few very short taxis between my hotel and the train or bus station, and IIRC, few others have mentioned a need for a long taxi ride. Perhaps your interests or needs might have been unusual in some way? Knowing what called for your long taxi rides might prove helpful to the OP and anyone else who considers relying on public transportation in this region. Thanks!

Last edited by kja; Mar 25th, 2019 at 12:16 AM.
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 05:11 AM

The OP is not going to areas where I took taxis. And I doubt if you would have wanted to visit Barbate, to which I took a long taxi ride (from Cadiz) to El Campero, one of Spain's legendary seafood temples, known for atún del almadraba. Most of my focus is on food, as you can tell if you've read any of my (what seem like dozens but are really not nearly that many) reports.
There are a few buses daily from Cadiz to Barbate but relying on them would have been very inconvenient for me time-wise.

I took a taxi home (to the parador in Cadiz) from Vejer, after meeting up with my sister who was based there. The taxi rides were terrific in and of themselves due to the personalities of the drivers. We had terrific conversations about everything from cross dressing to Michael Jackson (not the same driver, however!!) You've probably missed my ongoing report, but all will be divulged there...stay tuned!!

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Mar 26th, 2019 at 05:30 AM.
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 06:21 PM
kja

@ ekscrunchy: Thanks! That's what I thought, and why I was surprised when you seemed to suggest that those visiting Cordoba might benefit from having a car because of the length of requisite taxi rides. I think your second answer makes it clear that you were not saying that long taxi rides would be likely.