Spain car rental question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip for 4 adults; DH and me with my parents, in southern Spain mid-March. Thanks to everyone for all the tips I have learned on this forum. There have been several threads about car rental and cars4holidays has been mentioned. Their rate is much cheaper than what I received through autoeurope and others rental sites- I even tried Spain autoeurope as some suggested (which was cheaper than the US site.)

I would love to hear from someone who actually used cars4holidays to make sure they had no problems with their rental. I plan to pick the car up in Granada on a Sat and return it in Sevilla the following Sat.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 10:00 PM

Did rent through cars4holidays once, was no problem.

You probably already know that they only act as resellers or consolidators. But while other sites will not tell which will be the actual rental car company you make a deal with, you will see that in advance with cars4holidays.
I would check each individual quote within the group of car you want to rent if they differ re. surcharges for 2nd drivers, minimum age, etc.

Since they usually/ only resell local companies, it may happen that those will not have a desk at the airport, at other airports they do have regular desks. So it can happen that a company rep will meet you in arrivals hall, and you will sit down somewhere to finalize and sign the contract. That may look a bit odd or makeshift, but it was as good and professional as any contract I did at the regular Avis or Europcar counter.

Rental car insurance in Spain does not cover any damage to tires, wheel rims, undercarriage, and glass. So if that is an issue, you may want to check if your CC insurance would cover that, and if you can decline rental car insurance.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 04:03 AM

A word of advice: Be very, very, very careful with Auto Europe. After more than 25 years traveling to Europe and using their services, I am appalled at the shift the company has taken. The quote/voucher they provide you with does not reflect a number of charges that could very well be included and they don't include those until you check in at the counter. It is a fraudulent practice known as Bait & Switch and there are numerous complaints about Auto Europe-Portland (ME) at the Better Business Bureau. By the way, I never, never have done an online reservation with AutoEurope-- I ALWAYS talked to a representative.

The obvious problem with using a non-USA based company is that if something goes wrong with the rental/car you are under THEIR jurisdiction and policies, which may be better/worse protective of your consumer rights. You go figure. I have never used car4holidays, so I can not vouch for their business reputation. Best of luck!
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the input- and caution about autoeurope. I have used them in the past without problem but it has been a few years.
I have the voucher from cars4holidays; the rental is through Aurigacrown. As we are picking the car up on our way out of Granada, I asked to pick it up in town. The sight listed is the Hotel San Anton. Hopefully it will not be too hard to get from there to the main highways.
The insurance coverage looks good- everything included except as you mention the tires, wheels and undercarriage plus glass. There is no cost for a second driver.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 09:28 AM

A very interesting response from Viajero2 regarding Auto Europe, a company we've used at least 5 times each year for the last 10 years. The following information was obtained at BBB.org.

The company name is Auto Europe L.L.C. and has been in business since 1954.

Based on BBB files, this company has a satisfactory record with the Bureau.

To have a "satisfactory record" with the Bureau, a company must be in business for at least 12 months, properly and promptly address matters referred to it by the Bureau, and be free from an unusual volume or pattern of complaints and law enforcement action involving its marketplace conduct. In addition, the Bureau must have a clear understanding of the company's business and no concerns about its industry.

The Bureau processed a total of 20 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total 20 complaints closed in the last 36 months, 13 were closed in the last 12 months.

The report sounds pretty good for a company that does as much business as Auto Europe.

Old Feb 9th, 2008, 09:45 AM

Twenty complaints in the last 36 months means twenty customers who HAD TO ELEVATE THEIR COMPLAINTS TO BBB LEVEL. It does not by any means implies that there were ONLY twenty complaints about this company in the last 36 months. The BBB own studies have indicated that only a small percentage of disatisfied customers have to elevate their complaints to their level, opting instead for small claims court, settle with the company, or simply drop it. If given that small percentage, there is STILL such number of complaints about Auto Europe that MADE to the BBB level, then, by using your own numbers, now I am POSITIVELY CONVINCED that something is fishy about Auto Europe- Portland-based office.

I can only relate my own experience, Robert, I was once where you are today, recommending Auto Europe right and left (for a lot longer than ten years...). Not anymore, I am not sticking my neck out for a company that acknowledged they had bait us and then credited us $43 out of $400....how's that for integrity?..but is all good...karma is a baitch.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

I called Auto Europe US direct. The price they quoted on the phone at first was higher than the US web price. When I said I could get a better price on their Spanish website, they said they could match the US web price but could not do any better.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:43 PM

Try Kimwel, they have be rated the best in Europe.

http://www.kemwel.com/
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

kemwel is about the same price as auto europe. $325 or so for the size car I want.
I have reserved a car through cars4holidays for 97 euros- which I calculate to a bit under $150.
This includes unlimited miles, 3rd party insurance, CDW (which I will delcine to have on my cc) theft protection, personal accident insurance, VAT and up to 4 drivers included.
It sounds too good to be true, but I am going to give them a try!