Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Rental car companies are enforcing a strict policy

Old May 20th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought I'd mention that many of the major rental car agencies are refusing to rent cars to anyone who has been involved in a car accident within a 36 month period from the date you arrive at their counter. It doesn't matter if it wasn't your fault and it doesnt matter if it was a fender bender, something in between, or serious. It can ruin a trip if you are not prepared for this to happen and I think most people don't think about this. I wrote a letter to one company and suggested that they implement a plan in which the renter has to purchase temporary (but mandatory) insurance coverage during the rental period, or make it mandatory for these drivers to purchase the collision and damage waiver. People purchase temporary insurance when they drive into Mexico from California.
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:06 AM

this sounds like finacial suicide for the rental car firms. Think about it: 36 months is a long time. I would think there are a fair number of people who have some type of accident in a 3 year period. (Not I, knock on wood. But a good number of my fellow workers and friends have.) So, rental car agencies are going to turn down business. Even for those people who were in an accident AND it wasn't their fault? Sounds like a really idiotic thing.
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:06 AM

Did this happen to you? Which agencies?
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:19 AM

Sooner or later everyone will be involved in at least one fender bender. The rental car companies need to discriminate those with proven bad driving records, suspended/revoked licences and not people who have a minor accident on record.
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:32 AM

How do they find this out? I was in an accident that wasn't my fault two years ago...the only people who should have record of it happening is the other driver's insurance company. No citations were issued, my insurance didn't pay...I just don't know how they would find that out.
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Loki, yes it happened to me with Budget at the Long Beach, California airport just recently. I was involved in an accident last summer in which one car stopped short to make a sudden left turn and I, with 2 other cars hit each other from behind. The other one was 2 years ago and the funny thing is that I had just pulled into a parking space, turned off my car and one of the students plowed into the back passenger door of my car pulling out from a spot across from me. She had been on her cell phone and swung back very wide. Anyway, I wrote to Budget and they have since sent me back a letter indicating that they understand my disappointment, but it's their policy and that's that. Basically, I urged them to implement a plan in which their reservation system informs the public about this policy beforehand.
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Travelisfun, the car rental agency runs your driver's license number through a computer that's hooked up to a national system which tells them everything about your driving record. The desk agent dialed an 800# and I talked to a young man who read to me my driving record.
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:06 AM
jor

So do they turn you down when you call in the reservation or when you show up to pick up the car?
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:12 AM

I heard about this (maybe a year ago?) on one of the "60 minutes" type newscasts.

They were saying that the car firms don't tell you at reservation time, but hit you with this when you get to the counter. To me, thats the bad part. If they let you know up front, you wouldn't be stranded. Of course, they probably don't want to waste the check until they know you're there...
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Jor, that's the reason I wrote the letter to Budget. I had a confirmed reservation through their 800#, but their agents don't inform you of this policy. Not even a clue. Their website states that all drivers must have a clean driving record, but I think that's an ambiguous statement. The average person involved in car accidents isn't going to think this applies to them. It makes you think of drunk driving arrests, etc. Anyway, in my letter to the president of the company I asked him to implement a plan in which you are informed of this before making a reservation. I also think they should still rent to these drivers, but make the collision damage waiver mandatory.
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:20 AM

I'd be curious to know your source for this. I just looked at Hertz website and the only restictions within 36 months are for people convicted of certain types of driving offences, like DWI or leaving the scene of an accident. It makes no mention of any accident being a reason to deny.

I could see them using that as a reason to charge a premium fee, but to deny outright for any circumstance, makes no sense from a business perspective.
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:21 AM

BTW, here's the link to Hertz.

http://www.hertz.com/servlet/ByrServlet?MOVE_TO=3
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:25 AM

jor...when you attempt to pick up the car.......With Avis, you can have the verification done ahead of time but it costs $9.95.....Hertz makes you sign an affidavit that you have not had a DUI or similar in the last 36 months...actually that you did n ot enter a plea in that time....
Old May 20th, 2004, 11:22 AM

Here's what Hertz says:

The rental and/or authorized driver privileges will be denied if the driver's license verification indicates that the renter/authorized driver's license is:

Currently suspended, revoked, expired, invalid or surrendered

If he/she has, within the past 36 months, paid a fine or pleaded guilty or no contest to or otherwise been convicted of:

Reckless disregard for life or property

Driving While Intoxicated (DWI), Driving Under the Influence (DUI), Driving While Alcohol Impaired (DWAI) or other alcohol or controlled substance related convictions

Leaving the scene of an accident or failure to report an accident

Possession of a stolen vehicle or use of a vehicle in a crime

If he/she has, within the past 24 months, paid a fine or pleaded guilty or no contest to or otherwise been convicted of:

3 or more moving violations, including seatbelt violations and speeding violations

Hertz will not rent to anyone whose driving record reflects any of the above violations. Hertz reserves the right to change, add to, and/or modify any or all of these conditions without any prior notification.

Old May 20th, 2004, 11:29 AM
GoTravel

Uh oh. I wonder if they'll find out that I wrecked my car about six months ago and four days after that, wrecked my husband's car.

Old May 20th, 2004, 11:58 AM

So what's next? Are they going to refuse to rent you a car if you've had a speeding ticket within the last three years.

IMHO, the insurance industry is at the root of many of these problems. They collect your premiums for years and then try every trick in the book to weazel out of a claim.

A couple of weeks ago a man pulled out directly into my daughter's path when he was making a left hand turn. To avoid "t-boning" and a possible serious injury or death to this driver, she pulled her car hard to the right and hit and pulled of his bumper; her car sustained a lot of damage. The other driver took full responsibility and was ticketed. He is insured by Progressive and their adjuster called us the next day to tell us our claim was being denied because our daughter should have veered left instead of right (which would have been into oncoming traffic). I guess Progressive figured had she hit an oncoming car odds were that it wouldn't have been one of their insured.

Old May 20th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Jane11159, wow you must be relieved your daughter is okay but steaming about Progressive's decision, which I think stinks. Ryan and Budman, do you think Hertz's interpretation of moving violations is only that which they list such as speeding, seatbelt, running a stop sign, etc. or do you think it also includes accidents whether they are your fault or not?
Old May 20th, 2004, 12:45 PM

To correct one statement - the insurance industry isn't the problem. The American public is the problem. The litigiousness, fraud and the view that "no one gets hurt" if I up my claim is the problem. (I'd also add people using their cars as telephone booths is the problem, but I'll save that for a Friday rant.)

I'd imagine their intepretation depends on the company and likely by state. They probably view the number of incidents as the barometer and not neccessarily one or the other. Two tickets and an accident in 36 months probably is the same as two accidents and a ticket.
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:57 PM

Enterprise doesn't have theis policy. Here in Texas, they are in most car dealers' service/body shop departments. I just rented a car from them today and they did not ask one question about my driving record. (And yes, I had a collision claim on my record, thanks to someone who hit my car in a parking lot and them left...)
Old May 20th, 2004, 03:07 PM

The statement I made about the insurance companies is correct. My husband is an attorney and represented insurance companies for years and refuses to do so any more because they try their level best to absolve themselves of any obliglations and will stop at nothing to do so.

Before the lawyer bashing starts, let me acknowledge that we all know there are lawyers who abuse the system and that needs to be dealt with. There are also doctors who abuse the system and the insurance companies are out of control. My husband has a client who's daughter was hit by a drunk driver. Their own auto insurance co. refused to pay the $500,000 for the uninsured motorist coverage the family had. The insurance company denied it because the family didn't notify them within 48 hours of the accident--they didn't know for a week whether or not she was going to live. The policy actually stated that they "should" contact the insurance company within 48 hours. When my husband contacted the insurance company and called them on it, a check for $500,000 was hand delivered within 48 hours--and to set the record straight we only hear about the ambulance chasers who are the minority. My husband would not accept a dime of the fee he was entitled to from the 500 grand and to this day continues as this girl's guardianship attorney at no charge because this family was financially devistated. To add insult to injury their health insurance co. returned the premium they'd paid, retroactive to before the accident and said they didn't have to cover her since they refunded the premium. That one settled the day before it was to be heard before the FL supreme court because the insurance industry did not want the exposure. By the way, 8 years later this girl is still in a wheel chair and can only communicate through a special computer.

I am sick to death of hearing about the malpractice insurance issues--the same doctors complaining haven't had to move out of their 2 million dollar homes. Are you aware that some physicians knowing the patient has filed a personal injury lawsuit, will perform the surgery on a patient and wait to be paid until the patient gets their settlement? Where is the incentive for the physician to acknowledge whether or not the surgery was needed as a result of the accident? How do I know this? We were sued for a very minor fender bender (it cracked the guy's tail light)--he claimed this accident caused him to have severe carpal nerve damage (which a hand therapirst testified is impossible) and two herniated disks. As it turned out, he'd had these ailments for years and used this accident to try and get these sugeries he's needed for years paid for by us because he was uninsured. The doctor agreed to do the surgeries and wait for payment until the lawsuit was settled. What they didn't expect was that the private investigator we used got video of him doing the things he claimed he could no longer do and best of all, it turned out that he was also a convicted felon. He went to prison for leaving the scene of an accident (he was drunk) in which he hit and killed a pedestrian. He had to go to 3 lawyers before he found the sleazeball who took his case--those are the lawyers we need to get rid of.

These problems go much deeper than the average person realizes. Until the doctors, insurance agencies AND PI lawyers are reined in, it's not going to change.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information