Opinions re Advantage Car Rental from DFW?

Apr 27th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Opinions re Advantage Car Rental from DFW?

I got a very attractive rate on a rental car from Advantage Car Rental from the DFW airport.

I have never used this company... reliable? Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Blondie
Apr 28th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I searched and found a couple of brief answers regarding this company in Colorado and Arizona.

If anyone wants to pitch their 2 cents, that'd be great but it sounds like they'll do just fine.

Apr 28th, 2003, 01:33 PM

I rented from Advantage in Salt Lake City and had no problems. Their agency was located off site, but the shuttle bus picked up just a few minutes after we arrived. When we arrived at the agency they did not have a full size car as I had reserved and upgraded us to an SUV.
May 8th, 2003, 06:25 AM

I too had a very attractive rate with Advantage Car Rental in Houston (IAH) this week and it will be the last time I rent from them! When I walked into the rental office one customer ahead of me was upset because he had a reservation and had a confirmation number to pick up a certain type of car, but when he got there it was not available. While I was over hearing this problem being handle, another customer approached the counter and was upset for being charged for extra coverage when he told them he did not want the extra coverage. Than it was my turn. It seemed to be going well until I received my bill. First of all, I understand why the customer got charged for extra coverage. What they do is ask you do you want full coverage or minimum? That is how they get you! What you need to state is " I don't require any coverage." This is how I put it and I was pressured by the agent to purchase it. I told him I was covered through my Insurance Company and it was not needed. I was than asked who my Insurance Company is and then the agent put them down! When I was handed my bill to sign I noticed a charge I did not agree to. I asked what it was and was told by the agent that he upgraded me. I stated I did not ask for an upgrade and don't desire or need one and to take off the upgrade charge. He stated if he did so that he had no cars with in the class I rented in and I would have to wait for one to be available. I asked how long and he said he could not give me an accurate answer, he stated it could be 30 minutes or all day because there is a convention in town and they are short of cars. I stated that this is unacceptable and that he needed to give me the car available with no upgrade charge, this is what your competition does. He stated that I am not right and that their competition does this all the time. I told him I have been traveling and renting cars for over twenty years for business and pleasure and NOT ONE car rental company has ever done this. They have always asked me if I would like an upgrade and I usually state no and if they are currently out of my class of car I have on hold through an reservation with a confirmation number they give me the upgrade for FREE! The agent stated that I was mistaken (nice way to call me a liar). I told him if I ran my company and treated my customers as I have been treated and have observed other of their customers being treated that I would be out of business! Advantage Car Renters BEWARE, watch the agent's tactics and go over your bill before you sign it.
May 8th, 2003, 07:19 AM
OliveOyl

SoCalBob, so did you get it for free?

I think most companies try to twist your arm into the insurance coverage. I've had the same from Enterprise, (including the minimum or maximum coverage spiel) then shrugs and attempts to make you feel guilty for not accepting it.

There is one thing you should keep in mind though. I worked claims for Amica Insurance. We fully covered damage to policyholders' rental vehicles under the liability section of their policy, (which never carries a deductible), based on the fact that when you sign for the rental, you are legally obligating yourself to return the car in the same condition in which you took it out.

Our own insurance is with USAA. Imagine my surprise then, when we were rear ended in the toll booth on the Maine Turnpike, and found that if the other party did not have insurance, (and there was some question) our coverage through USAA would not be under the liability section of our policy, but under collision, which carries a $500 deductible. We'd have been out that $500, had she had no insurance. Furthermore, if we had no collision coverage on our own vehicles, we'd be out of luck in an accident with a rental car--no collision coverage on your own car=none available for a rental vehicle either. This is something you need to check with your own company. If USAA, which has a pretty stellar reputation handles it this way, my guess is that most other companies do as well.

USAA has been generally thought to be tops in service, but Amica far and away tops them in both claims service and premium cost. The one problem...they accept few policyholders. Your accident and or moving violation record must be clean for x years prior to acceptance. They won't insure any cars over a certain age. Once in you are not cancelled easily, but getting in is a problem.