Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

My parents got bamboozled at the Phoenix rental car place. Or did they?

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my parents fly into Phoenix. It is late, they are tired. They guys tells them that Arizona is one of three states where you have to take the extra insurance. Their insurance won't cover anything. My parents also use this American Express program where they pay $25 a car rental for extra insurance. They guy said that woudn't cover it either.

Did they get bamboozled or is the guy right? And if they did get bamboozled, what recourse do they have if any?
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 08:52 AM
TheWeasel

I vote for bamboozled, but you'd have to read the fine print to be sure. That part about "have to take" extra insurance is wrong. You never have to take their insurance, just be prepared to pay yourself if your own insurance doesn't cover anything.

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

I guess that is what I meant. That if they didn't take the extra, then they would have to pay for all repairs and for the time the car is not in service. He said their own insurance would be no help. Can this be true? And they got hit for an additional driver charge. I thought spouses were free?
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 09:21 AM
TheWeasel

It can be true but you would have to check with the insurance company and verify. I've had rental agents tell me my insurance doesn't cover the rental in their state, even though my insurance agent specifically said it does. My agent would know the details of my policy better than a rental counter person, so I trust her word over theirs. Wasn't their some story about this fairly recently, where one (or more) of the rental agencies got into legal trouble for misleading customers into thinking they "had" to purchase extra insurance?

As for the spouse charge, that all depends on the company. Some charge extra and some don't.

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 09:33 AM

Yeah they got bamboozled, but it was your parents responsibility to know just what was covered and what wasn't so that they were prepared for what is definitely common practice...trying to sell the collision damage waiver even to people who don't need it.

Not sure about Amex, but lots of the credit card coverage does not include premium vehicles such as SUVs or big vans. Some people think they're covered and they're not. And always double check since the terms of your credit card coverage change practically overnight.

They might be able to fight the charges with Amex, especially if Amex is receiving complaints about this rental agency from others.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 09:36 AM

The newer hidden rental charge is a loss of use charge - meaning if you crash their car, while your insurance should pay for the repairs, it may or may not pay for the lost rental fees during time is in shop. We were told our substitute transportation line item on our insurance would cover some of it.

Bamboozled - I don't know. Rental agents in my experience will try to sell you anything you might buy. They can't expect to rely on rental guy to tell them not to buy something. So it is still buyer beware, even if they are older, tired, etc.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 09:42 AM

You always have to be very careful with the rental guys. We were warned of that fact in Belgium. When we went to get our rental (Alamo) in Lax L.A. they tried all sorts of things. We had to increase our insurance(they said) and they even argued that the car we rented (intermediate) would not be able to get where we were going. Paul
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 09:46 AM

At the end of the day, there's a fine line between falling for the hard-sell salesmanship pitch and being bamboozled.

The only place where I think the line may have been crossed is being told that AZ requires you to take the extra insurance. If that's stated as a fact, and assuming it's wrong (which I believe/hope it is) then something should be done about it. Problem is, how would your parents prove the agent said that?
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 09:53 AM

It may have been their responsibility to know what was covered, but the rental agent probably saw an older couple as an easy target. I don't know what recourse they might have, but I would contact the rental company and if necessary, take it up the corporate chain. I would make sure I used language such as taking advantage of seniors, especially if the agent blatantly lied about the laws of Arizona.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 10:15 AM

They try this lots of places. I think it's the manager of the specific office - and how hard they have staff push to get extra credit from company management.

I had to rent this week and got a good deal for Avis (although I usually use Hertz). Never again. First they tried to tell me I had to take insurance (illegal in New York), then they said my AmEx card doesn't cover me (it does), then they tried to talk me into taking an SUV (claimed they didn't have the compact I ordered even though I could see smaller cars in the garage) and finally forced me to initial in about 6 places that I was refusing insurance.

I would never go through this again. Hertz just says - do you want the extra insurnce, you say no - and the issue goes away.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Do the salespeople get commission from the extra insurance? Or do they just get bonuses if the office does well?

The guy also told my parents that there were no 4-door cars available in the class they rented. He was trying to get them to upgrade. They said that is fine. They go to the lot, another guy says take any of these and they were ALL 4-door!

For the future, they will call their agent ahead of time.

This was Dollar. I use Thrifty a lot with no problems.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 10:33 AM

Worst scam we fell for was in Las Vegas where they "upgraded" us from mid-sized car to "mini-van". Turned out to be a full-sized van. For some reason (also probably fatigue, etc.) we took it and discovered about 2 miles later it had a bad transmission - and we were trying to drive it over mountains to California.

When we returned next day to exchange it, they claimed they had no "California cars" - they must rent CA emission-equipped cars if returning in California - and found one only when we started to make a quiet "scene"
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 11:20 AM

I wonder if Phoenix is known for this. They tried to take me when I rented a car there several years ago. It had to do with refilling the gas tank. Too long of a story to tell but we talked to the manager and he refunded part of our money. Best bet is to call your insurance company and check with them before you leave for trip.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 09:35 PM

I rented a mid size car last week from EZ Rental at the Phoxnix Airport Rental center (what a place - the center is supposed 5800 cars available!).

Anyway, when I told the counter guy I had AAA and didn't want any extra coverage, his response was "Well, if you have a deductible over $500 you might want to consider buying our insurance, it will save you money", which although semi-pushy, was an acceptable suggestion.

NO comment about "having" to take extra insurance since it was AZ and he knew I was from CA from both my address and seeing my drivers license.

Having said that, earlier poster was right - if there were limitations to their policy regardingn what was or weren't covered due to the insuarnce company they have and the level of coverage they have chosen, they need to be aware of their coverage. E.g., if for example, SUVs are not completely covered under their particular policy. BTW that is a new one for me, I am going to have to call my agent and ask since I often rent mini vans and SUVs when traveling with my elderly parents!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 05:30 AM

I've had the hard sell at two rental agencies in Phoenix. I was told my insurance absolutely wouldn't cover an accidnt and I fell for it as it was late, I was traveling alone, and couldn't get DH on the cell to verify. Next time I didn't go for it.

I think Budget lets the spouse drive free.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:08 AM

Was this Enterprise? I have had them tell me I need extra "loss of use" insurance to cover their vehicle should I damage it and it is no longer rentable...

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 08:09 AM

I rented a car from Alamo last week at the new Car Rental Center at Phoenix Airport. The guy at the counter tried to get me to add the insurance, but I stayed strong. I have AAA and knew that I had the insurance I needed. He gave me the hard sell, but I resisted. He didn't look too happy. I think that loss of use line isn't really valid. I think I read somewhere that in order for them to collect for loss of use, they would have to be completely out of cars.

On a side note, the new Rental Car Center at Phoenix is very nice and user friendly.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:53 PM

In light of all this, if one is going to rent a car out of Phoenix, which agency would one choose? ANY good experiences?
Betsy
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:18 PM

Mikesmom - you are right about the "loss of use". I called my car insurance company after reading these posts. The rental company can charge for the loss of use, BUT they would have to be totally out of that sized car. They said that as long as you are at a bit larger rental company, the chances of them being out of an intermediate or full size car, for example, would be very slim to none. They recommended we turn down all coverage - and I'm taking them up on it. We will be renting this week from PHX, headed for a week in Sedona. Looking forward to some sun and leaving the Seattle rain behind!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:26 PM

kelliebellie,

I live in Phoenix and on occasion also rent cars here. You parents were being lied to. IMO they should contact the corporate HQ of the company.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -