Spain Andalucia - Help with drive itinerary and which town to stay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain Andalucia - Help with drive itinerary and which town to stay

Hi Guys,

Really need your help.
Gonna be in Sevilla in 3 weeks time. Still have not planned the last leg of my trip
Here goes....
19 - 20 Oct - 2 nights in Seville.
21 Oct - Drive to Cadiz past Jerez. overnight in Cadiz
22 Oct - Drive towards the white villages. over night in Grazalema or Zahara or Ronda?
23 Oct - White villages. over night at the same place on 22 Oct.
24 Oct - Late afternoon flight out of Seville.

Burning questions:
- Is Cadiz worth going? Do u recommend any other destination to replace it?
- To visit the white villages, where is a nice place to stay, which is not too dull. And any accommodation recommendation? B&B would be great too.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 07:34 AM

As far as what white village to stay in - Grazalema and Zahara are both in spectacular settings, and are very small villages. Ronda on the other hand is a small city, also in a beautiful setting. If you want isolated and quiet, choose Grazalema or Zahara, if you want a more lively place, choose Ronda. We actually stayed two nights in Arriate, a tiny village just outside Ronda at the Arriadh Hotel - a very beautiful, relaxing place.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 07:36 AM

It's a lot of moving around, but the itinerary would work as listed.
If you are not interested in Jerez or Cadiz, you could stay longer in Sevilla or head straight to the white village region. Just do as you feel. I found accommodations a little difficult to come by in Cadiz.
Zahara would likely be too dull for overnight, maybe Grazalema too--but what a gorgeous area if you like hiking. Ronda is the only city for any action, plus it is beautiful.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 09:34 AM

I would spend at least 3 nights in Seville. I get bored in the white villages but they are white. I would spend one night in Ronda.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 08:59 PM

Wanztan,

CathyM is in Spain right now or I am sure she would reply. She is a great Cadiz fan. You might do a search for her posts here. I will try to find some.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 09:03 PM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...m#last-comment
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 09:26 PM

bookmarking
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 11:29 PM

Agree with zootsie. Lodging in Grazalema I rec. http://www.hotelfuertegrazalema.com/ ; if Zahara, Hotel Arco de la Villa. For driving directions, read http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...cos-trip.cfm?5
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 11:36 PM

this thread has plenty of info on exactly what you want
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-years-old.cfm
though i'm not sure it was worth my effort, given the lack of acknowledgment...

as for cadiz, well worth visiting. very different from anywhere else in andalucia. the people, the city, the setting, the bars and restaurants and the light are all special (yes, really, the light is wonderful). accom options are not so wide but there are hotels in the old town which is where you want to be. the parador atlantico is a good bet - i've seen people describe it as soulless but for me it's not, it's relaxed and the building is functional but not stark. staff are pleasant too - not always the way in paradores - and the location is good, next to the very pleasant parque genoves at the tip of the peninsula. the city beaches (really in the city) are great and will be quiet in oct thought it should still be warm. playa victoria is a great expanse of sand but te little la caleta beach close to the parador is lovely and is flanked by fortresses - you can visit one and walk along the causeway to the gates of the other. sights: those mentioned, the torre tavira and its camera obscura, the cathedral, some baroque churches, a rather good provincial museum and those lovely squares filled with palms and giant ficus trees with parakeets screeching all around. but really the point of cadiz is just being there, meandering, drinking in the atmosphere, taking tapas.
you can get the vaporcito steam ferry or the modern catamaran across the bay to el puerto de santa maria (see the thread link)which gives you lots more options.
other cadiz hotels...hospederia de las corters, spa senator, there's another called francia y paris or similar but i don't think much of that one and there's another chain hotel either jut opened or about to open - can't be specific as i'm not on home turf and don't have much i/net access but tourspain.com the tourist board website will help you
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 11:37 PM

just seen josele posting. al lago is way better than arco de la villa - only open a couple of years so maybe wasn't there when j visited (again, it's on that thread)
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 11:41 PM

ok...hands up...i just saw the thread link on amsdon posting and i forgot i'd posted all the info on there.
yours, birdbrain
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Hey Zootsi, Yorkshire, Egbert, Amsdon, Josele, and last but not least, Portuense.

Thanks for the tips. Really grateful man.

Actually, it seems that i should spend abit more time in Sevilla. I only arrive on 19 Oct 3 pm. Guess i should stay 3 nights so that i have 2 full days in Seville. Thus, probably need to omit Cadiz now. Anyway, i will be costa brava in 1st leg of spain trip.

Think Al Lago at Zahara looks nice...

So revised itinerary
19 - 21 Oct 3 nights in Seville

22 Oct Leave Seville in morning. Head for Jerez de frontera for sherry, then head up to Zahara for over night. Is that still too hectic? Should i omit Jerez too? Which part of the drive is most scenic?

23 Oct Explore white villages and Ronda. Overnight Zahara.

24 Oct Leave and head back to Seville for evening flight.

What do u think?
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 08:17 AM

What about adding Cordoba -- at least to see the Mezquita? It seems a shame to be so close and miss it.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi NanBUg,Thanks for your suggestion However, my hubby is not really into architecture, but more into nature. Guess we will make it for the next trip to Spain!

Dear Portuense, do u recommend Al Lago at Zahara or the Parador at Ronda?
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 08:54 AM

For nature, you want to be at Zahara and Grazalema. I was underwhelmed with Jerez, but that was largely because I visited on a Sunday.
I found between Zahara-Grazalema-Ronda the most scenic.
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 06:42 AM

you could fit in four/five hours in jerez and still get to zahara on that first evening...will take you maybe 90 mins. in october expect it to be dark 6.30-7. definitely al lago. you'll love the food, the accom is really cosy and tasteful; you can head for ronda straight after b'fast next day, have a good long morning there, get some lunch and head back via some of the best villages. dinner at al lago again then last morning, up early, go for a walk along garganta verde or up at the spectacular puerta de las palomas about half an hour drive above the village, then go over the top via Moron to Seville for your flight.
Alternatively, skip Jerez (leave that side incl cadiz etc for another trip), head straight to the sierra de grazalema and do a bit more nature-watching. i can give you dets of a lovely walk with the most amazing views from the clifftops overlooking a plain if you like. would take about two hours including time to watch the vultures whizzing past your feet!
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi Portuense,

You share really wonderful tips.

I booked Al Lago already. It looks modern and clean, with beautiful views.

The nature walk sounds amazing. More tempted to go there then Jerez now. Haha. Could you send me details please?
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 06:27 PM

bookmarking

amy
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 06:35 AM

only on condition you report back on your trip...

from zahara de la sierra, head for grazalema up the v steep winding road. at the top (puerta de las palomas), park the car and instead of crossing the road to the viewing platform, head through the gate behind you and up through the few pine trees towards the radio mast/satellite thing (whatever it is) on top of the mtn in front of you. Keep it to your right, skirting the crown and then head around the back of it (think there are sheep trails to follow). you should be able to walk about 50-100 metres below the summit. After a short while you'll come to the cliffs. Be careful. It's a long, long way down. Walk to your right a little and settle down. There's a triangulation ploint there - anywhere around that is good. You will need binoculars to spot the wild goats on the cliff, the vultures are easier though look out for nests on the cliff. Earlyish morning is good for seeing them, later afternoon is better because that's when the thermals really get going and they just play in the air. It's just great to sit there in silence and watch and the view is reall wonderful. You can do a loop but if you're not sure, go back the way you came. And if you have children with you keep them on reins/a rope. Really. There's no real risk but you just have to be careful. I was once leaning out over the edge filming with a camcorder and a horsefly bit me on the hand. to this day don't know how i managed to a) hold on to the camera and b) not slip...
oh, in autumn you might find hunters around. they're not dangerous, just a bit Rambo. less chance if you're there on a weekday afternoon. they're only after rabbits or partridge. sad characters...