Spain Itinerary - Mostly Andalucia

Feb 19th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Spain Itinerary - Mostly Andalucia

I am re-posting this under the Spain "topic". Sorry for the duplication.

My wife and I are spending 12 days in Andalucia in late April/early May. After lots of research including reading all the great posts in this forum, we've pretty much finalized our itinerary. Please note that while we prefer the countryside and small villages to the cities, we are including some time in the cities to sample them and to see the major sites. Any ideas or input related to the places we will be (other than the obvious "must sees") would be appreciated. We fly into and out of Madrid.

Day 1 - arrive Madrid - train to Toledo
Stay night in Toledo

Day 2 - pick up rental car - drive to Ubeda
Stay night in Ubeda

Day 3 - day trip to Baena and Priego de Cordoba area
Stay night in Ubeda

Day 4 - drive to Las Alpujarras through the Sierra Nevadas - stops along the way
Stay night near Berchules

Day 5 - day trip to several villages of Las Alpujarras
Stay night near Berchules

Day 6 - drive to Granada - afternoon touring Albaicin and Granada
Stay night in Granada

Day 7 - tour Alhambra in morning - drive to Ronda
Stay night in finca outside of Ronda

Day 8 - tour Ronda and/or white villages

Day 9 - more touring or white villages or Ronda

Day 10 - drive to Sevilla after breakfast - turn car in - tour Sevilla
Stay night in Sevilla

Day 11 - train to Cordoba - tour Cordoba
Stay night in Cordoba

Day 12 - train to Madrid - tour Madrid
Stay night in Madrid

Day 13 - fly home out of Madrid

I realize the the "touring" in Sevilla, Cordoba, and especially Madrid will have to be very limted but we really just want to hit the high points in the big cities.

Thanks for any ideas!

Feb 19th, 2007, 10:49 PM

Hi bpajax I guess you turned out a pretty good itinerary. Only thing is that probably you should have alocated more time to Seville. We are talking of the third city of Spain, and one day seems too little even if you only wish to visit the basics.
Feb 20th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Cut through Consuergra on the Toledo- Ubeda leg and see the windmills.

If you can get from Berchules to Capiliera it is an interesting drive on to Lanjaron and then an easy run up to Granada. Would love to hear from you on your return as to the roads in this part of the Alpujarras. They can limited and exciting.

Check out Molina del Santo outside Ronda as a plasce to stay. Very nice and caters to naturalists, archeologists, etc. Provides good hiking maps and the like. Great base for poking about Grazalema etc. Cork forests nearby.

I think I'd do Sevilla and Cordoba a bit differently. Stay 2 nights in Seville and then catch an early morning AVE to Cordoba. Get off and stow bags in lockers at the station. Cab into town and see the Mezquita. [IMO the only "unique" thing about Cordoba. Nice down but not different from what you will have seen already] Then back to the station and grab the AVE on to Madrid. maybe allow 4 hours. This would save 1 hotel change and give a bit more time for Seville where I think the time would be better spent.
Feb 20th, 2007, 01:55 PM

HI. My husband and I spent almost 3 weeks in Spain in January. We prefer the country and spent most of our time in Las Alpujarras and the Subbetica ( Baena and Rute). Driving was much easier and prices were lower there than in the cities. People were very friendly. It did not take that much time to get from one place to another. Your itinerary looks good to me. However, I am a fan of spending at least 2 nights in a row in the same place if possible. It is more restful. Maybe you might consider picking a couple of the big towns to see rather than 3. Skip Cordoba maybe.
Feb 21st, 2007, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great input. We probably should cut Cordoba to allow more time in Sevilla and not have another hotel change. It's always the trade-off between "seeing everything" and taking a little slower.

I am especially excited about Las Alpujarras. I'm reading Chris Stewart's "Driving Over Lemons" right now. He moved with his wife to a small cortijo in one of the valleys of the Alpujarras a number of years ago from England. The book is an accountof their new lives there. Very entertaining.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:53 AM

Tips for Ubeda and Baeza (a must, 10 kilometers from Ubeda).
Hotels in Ubeda:
* Parador
* Alvar Fáñez
Guided tour walk (english available): Artificis
Tapas bars: The province of Jaén is not good for wine, drink "caña de cerveza" (glass of beer) and choice one tapa of the board, it's included in the cost of a drink.
The best time for tapas is 13:30 to 15:00 hours.
Dining:
* Restaurante Museo Agrícola (Ubeda)
suggestions: pipirrana, lomo de orza.
* Restaurante Juanito (Baeza)
suggestions: escabeche de perdiz.
Feb 24th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions Revulgo. We are tentatively booked for the Palacio de la Rambla in Ubeda - is that a good choice?

We look forward to trying one of your restaurant ideas and will definitely have a cana de cerveza with a tapa!
Feb 24th, 2007, 06:41 PM

I read "Driving Over Lemons" too. That is what inspired us to go to southern Spain. We drove to Orviga and to Trevelez ( which is way the heck up in nowhere) and to many other little towns. We went to a fiesta in Orviscon. The roads were really good, all paved though they are very windy. It made me a little nervous when my husband glanced into the deep canyons while he drove. Also one Sunday we did end up driving on a road that was under construction. There is really good food every where. You won't be disappointed. We stayed in a hotel in Lanjaron (Hotel Central) which was like a step back in time. Marble floors, shuttered windows, a place to do your hand laundry on the top floor with a drying area on the roof. The cost was 35 Euros. Cash only.
Mar 20th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone else have any suggestions for special places to see along the way or for great restaurants in the cities that we will be visiting?

Thanks for all the valuable input so far!
Mar 20th, 2007, 12:23 PM
kja

Two restaurant recommendations:

In Toledo, Hostal del Cardenal
In Cordoba, El Caballo Rojo

Enjoy!
Mar 20th, 2007, 12:59 PM

I am pasting here text I've written in other posts. If something is not clear, come back. Now I have no time to re-write.
Alpujarras.. Go Velez de Benaudalla-Orgiva-Pampaneira-Bubión and Capileira (end of the road, but very beautiful town. Then you can go back to Orgiva and go to eat at Lanjarón, Alcadima restaurant, 958770809.
Nerja to Capileira is almost two hours.
Have a nice trip. I await your post on your return.
An addition to the Alpujarras:
instead of eating in Lanjaron, you can drive one hour from Pampaneira to Trevelez, for one of the best hams in Spain, eating at La Despensa de la Alpujarra, 958858668, Almond soup, Pork meat and Trout, specialities.

Ronda/White Villages
You'll love Arcos de la Frontera. Eat at the Parador or at Marqúes de Torresoto restaurant.
Arcos to Ronda: if you are planning spending the day on the road, you can do: Arcos-Bornos-Villamartín-Zahara de la Sierra-Grazalema (not to miss)and then Ronda.
Another choice: Arcos-El Bosque-Ubrique-Benaocaz-Grazalema, and then you can opt to Zahara or not, and Ronda, the road is OK. Algodonales to Zahara to Grazalema is 45 minutes.
Any place to eat'll probaby be OK.
You'll love Ronda, eat at the Parador and at Maria or Bodeguita de San Francisco, both at Barrio de San Francisco. Very near the Predicatorio Restaurant, with a great view of the cityscape.
Ronda: You arrive with a nice view, then the gas station and the old walls and gates. That is the Barrio de San Francisco, continue upwards into the city and narrow streets. Once you cross the bridge over the chasm, youll find the parador at left, go ahead and right before the bullring, on the left, there is a parking lot: leave your car there. In the very lot is the Tourist office: get a plan of the town Then go back and cross the bridge on foot for incredible experience. Walk the quarter called “La Ciudad”
To the Predicatorio Restaurant you have to drive back to Barrio San Francisco and then take the road to Gaucin, and you’ll find it just where the barrio ends. It has a big free parking.
Nov 23rd, 2007, 02:18 PM

marking for future
Jul 15th, 2010, 10:21 PM

We just returned from a two week stay in Ronda and it was the best vacation we have ever taken! Love Ronda and the Spanish! And we had two on the best meals of our lives in Ronda - at the Predicatoria Restaurant in Ronda.I've traveled all over the world and have never had a more wonderful meal. So good that I ordered the same food the next night - our last in Spain. I had a 1 1/2 inch thick veal sirloin topped with a wonderful wine reduction, with simmered grapes adding a surprising texture and flavor. But the best of all was a 1/2 inch grilled fresh goose liver that was the crowning taste sensation. With a 360 view of Ronda, this is a magnificant way to spend a evening in this wonderful town. But you might best hurry! We were the only patrons the two nights we spent there. Prices aren't cheap, but for a very special dinner, you can't beat this. The Jordans, Sweetwater, TX USA