Spain and Portugal Itinerary

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain and Portugal Itinerary

I am flying into Barcelona for a 3-4 week Spain and Portugal adventure. Anyone have any suggestions for routes and must sees
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:44 AM

Pamplona (7-14 July); Santander: weekend of 16 July for Santiago festival; Santiago de Compostela (or as close as possible): weekend of 23 Jul.

There are lots of places along the way (Bilbao, Limpias, Santillana del mar, Potes & los Picos de Europa, etc.).

Must sees: midnight, 24 Jul fireworks display in la Plaza del Obradoiro in Santiago de Compostela.

After SANTIAGO head south thru Pontevedra into northern Portugal with stops in Baiona and Vigo, Monte Santa Tecla in la Guardia and Tui. Braga & Guimaraes are nice, followed by Porto & Coimbra. On the way south, stop at one of many roadside restaurants in the Mealhada region for the best roast suckling pig anywhere.

Enough adventure??

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:34 AM

I did the exact same trip a year ago, except I only had a total of 19 days. I flew into Barcelona and out of Lisbon.

After only two days in Barcelona, I flew to Madrid for only 30 euros on Iberia Airlines and spent four days there, with two day trips (one to Segovia and one to Toledo). I then flew to Granada (also for only 30 euros) and spent 3 days there. Then I took a bus (quite comfortable and convenient actually) to Seville where I spent four days.

From Seville I took a long bus ride to the Algarve of Portugal where I spent a few days on the beach as a relaxing vacation from my vacation. Then I took a bus to Lisbon where I spent three days with a day trip to Sintra.

If I could do it again, I would have added a day to Barcelona and subtracted a day from Seville (I know others would disagree), but I basically had an amazing time!

With a whole extra week, I probably would have spent more time driving through Andalucia to visit the towns of Rhonda, Zahara, Grazalema, and Arcos de la frontera before arriving to Seville. I also would have added a day or two to visit another town in Portugal, probably between the Algarve and Lisbon.

You'll have a wonderful time no matter what you do!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:55 AM

We also flew into Barcelona 3nights,train to Madrid 3 nights, train to Seville 2 nights,train to Loja 2 nights, train to Granada 2 nights, flew to Lisbon 3 nights incl.day trips to Sintra,Estoril, Cascais.Flew home (N.J.) from Lisbon.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

What sort of time would it take to do the entire coast with the odd stayover inland?
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:56 AM

Tskobo - I will be taking a bus from the Algarve to Seville. What bus company did you use....was it EVA and how long of a ride is it? Thanks.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:23 AM

We are leaving for Spain in a week! We are flying into Barcelona for 4 days then taking the train to Pamplona for the running of the bulls! Then renting a car and driving north thru San Sebastian, Bilboa, Santander and back down into the Rioja wine region before heading back to Barcelona for our flight home.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 10:26 AM

Amee - I believe I took DAMAS bus service from Seville to Lagos. The trip took over six hours, but for a few days at the beach it was worth it. The last two hours were the worst because the bus stopped at several towns before arriving to Lagos. For example, if I recall correctly, I was on the bus for another hour and a half after the bus had arrived at Faro, so the time spent on the bus depends which town you start from.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Amee- check this link for Damas info.

http://www.damas-sa.es/buscar.htm