Souvenirs from Prague

Sep 24th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Souvenirs from Prague

Hi,
My daughter and SIL may have an opportunity to visit Prague this December( SIL on business, daughter tagging along.) What would be a good souvenir for them to bring back to me as a 'thank you' for babysitting my 3yr old grandson?
I am envious and would love to go as a nanny, but they are not quite up to such a long flight with a 3 yr old.
Any other suggestions for what to do/see in Prague would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
L
Sep 24th, 2007, 09:19 AM

Bohemian crystal is very famous
Sep 24th, 2007, 09:19 AM

The big items in Prague are crystal and marionettes. But mainly crystal.
Sep 24th, 2007, 09:52 AM

I never noticed that marionnettes are the big tourist item in Prague, and I've been there several times. Crystal, yes. But as you are a woman, the other big item is garnet jewelry. They make very good quality pieces, and the silver is high quality also, and marked.

Maybe your daughter should be deciding what to buy you herself, if it's to be her thank you gift to you. She should spend some time looking and buying a present, and exert some effort.
Sep 24th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Maybe I just found myself in the marionette section of Prague, but I saw them everywhere. And a couple of stores devoted to them: celebrity marionettes, traditional marionettes, etc. I figured it was because Prague was known for the puppet theater. (I never noticed garnets myself, but I'm not much of a jewelry person so I'm not sure I would recognize a garnet anyway.) The crystal is everywhere, though.
Sep 24th, 2007, 11:04 AM

My dad bought my grandma a beautiful garnet cross to hang on necklace from Prague. I was jealous.
Sep 24th, 2007, 11:30 AM
GBC

Another vote for the garnet idea.
Sep 24th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.I really like the idea of garnets- esp since it is my birthstone.
L
Sep 24th, 2007, 07:50 PM

If you are thinking garnet but would like something a bit different as a stone, find a shop that has Moldovite. It is a lovely green stone that is found only in that area. The name comes from Moldau - the other name for the river that runs through Prague. The price is about the same as the garnets but it is something more unique.
Sep 24th, 2007, 07:57 PM

We bought garnets in Prague, but also found some lovely handicrafts at the Manufactura stores that are sprinkled around the city. I've especially enjoyed painted eggs that I've hung on the Christmas tree.
Sep 24th, 2007, 09:48 PM

I vote for garnets. There is an infinite selection of garnet rings, garnet bracelets, garnet earrings, and garnet necklaces.

Another of my favorite Prague souvenirs is my Russian military style fur hat. The hats come with and without the sickle & hammer emblem on the front. I get a lot reaction/attention when I wear that hat. The ticket agent at the Swiss Air counter wanted that hat. When I wore the hat in Barcelona I received many stares & comments of "Ruska, ruska."

To do: concerts - many concerts are held every night in Prague. These are advertized by fliers. When I was in Prague there was a whole table full of these fliers in the lobby of my hotel.

Also - blacklight pantomime is very popular in Prague.

Major sites include Hradcany Castle, the Goldsmith's Street, Old Town Square, Tyne Church, the Clock Tower, The Holy Infant Jesus of Prague in Our Lady of the Victories Church, the Mucha Museum, Wenceslaus Square..

If you do a search on Prague many posting will come up.
Sep 24th, 2007, 10:40 PM

Cheryllj, I also thought Prague is known for marionettes! My cousin brought me the most beautiful one when she was there.
Sep 25th, 2007, 03:23 AM

Another vote for garnet jewelry. Prague and Cesky Krumlov abound with shops selling simple to elaborate garnet jewelry pieces at varied prices to suit one's budget. Other favorite items of mine to take home from Prague are crystal jewelry and leather goods such as shoes and bags. There are a number of shops selling these in Wenceslas Square.
Sep 25th, 2007, 04:59 AM

If your daughter has exquisite taste, she will purchase a piece (or two) of Moser crystal at the shop on Na Prikope. This is were such notables as Thingorjus and Muffy Drexel buy the stemware for their dinner tables. There is a smaller shop in Old Town Square, by the way.

Another interesting shop is Dr. Botanicus, which is situated off of the alley that runs alongside the Tyne Church. This shop sells handmade soap, jam, and wreaths made of dried flowers and herbs. The bitter orange bath oil is divine. Fodor's uses my "recommendation" for this shop in its Prague guide.

There are many shops that sell amber and garnet jewellery on Pariska Street--the Via Condotti of Prague. Louis Vuitton, Armani, and Dior are also on this street, sweetie darling.

Love you, hate your shoes...