Southwark (by OXO) v. Notting Hill

Dec 7th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Southwark (by OXO) v. Notting Hill

My family of 6, which includes my three children- ages 10, 5, 3, are travelling to London in March 08. In an effort to be budget-conscious in these dismal US$ days, I looked for an apartment to stay during our week-long stay there. It was a fairly extensive process (unfamiliarity with different neighborhoods, cost factor, size of our family) but we have it narrowed down to two apartments: one in Nottinghill, the other in Southwark (by the OXO Tower), that I now have to pick from.
Understanding that each neighborhood has its own charm, I would appreciate any feedback in either of the two neighborhoods. There is a river walk area by the apartment near the OXO tower, but then we have to cross the river to go to the west end - not sure if the Southwark area is a desirable area (tourist-wise and with children), as opposed to being in Nottinghill. Other areas such as Knightsbridge, Chelsea are much more expensive to rent for an apt that can sleep 6.
Any suggestions/tips are appreciated.
Dec 7th, 2007, 05:40 AM

While both Southwark and Notting Hill are safe and convenient in general, you'll really need to find out actual address (or full postal codes). This is because some marginal areas could be included as Notting Hill--a typical case of misleading branding. That way we can also give you an idea how close each locations are to the tube stops etc.

Another thing you may want to check is actual bedroom specs--if it is doulbe-sized or single-sized (the latter often not being much larger than a walk-in closet).

Southwark is on Jubilee Line, which is quite reliable. Though Notting Hill is more residential and will probably give you better amenities re: supermarkets, restaurants close by etc.
Dec 7th, 2007, 05:47 AM

W9's quite right: there are a number of places that try to pass themselves off as Notting Hill th\t are really rather iffy. Nowhere on the river near the Oxo Tower (but what does "by" mean?)ought to be iffy, though there a couple of blocks of flats just behind I'd be leery of - and that look downright pokey.

The Oxo Tower, BTW, is closer to most of the West End - not to mention the attractions in and around the City - than Notting Hill. The walk across the river isn't just trivially short: it's just about the best urban view in Britain, and the river path itself is part of what is unquestionably the finest urban walk anywhere.

But let's see those postcodes.

Dec 7th, 2007, 06:03 AM

I agree with the above. Personally I would prefer to the OXO spot as its much more central and flanneruk is bang on...walking across the river has a fabulous view and is very enjoyable. I love taking walks on the riverwalk on south bank.
Dec 7th, 2007, 06:29 AM

Absolutely no contest. Grab the place by the OXO Tower before someone else does!
Dec 7th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Make sure your husband/boyfriend takes you up the Oxo Tower (or of you're a bloke take your wife/girlfiend up the Oxo Tower).

You won't forget it.
Dec 7th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your tips - much appreciate it. I have not been able to get a complete postal code - but the place in Nottinghill is W11 and the one in Southwark appears to be SE1 (Broadhall St).
Dec 7th, 2007, 08:09 AM

There's no such place as Broadhall St, but there is a Broadwall in SE1 and it's smack bang by the Oxo tower. It's next to the Coin Estate (an interesting social housing experiment - and one that works).

It's a great area.

David - ex Southwark ASB Officer with responsibility for that area and who has taken many women up the Oxo Tower. It brings a tear to their eye..
Dec 7th, 2007, 08:32 AM

the bit of teh "postal code" you provided doesn't help - they both cover wide areas. Larger than some zip codes in the States. If you do mean Broadwall (not "street" just Broadwall) - you could hardly find a better location in London.

Why not post links to the flats, especially so we can make sure about the "Notting Hill" place.
Dec 7th, 2007, 09:00 AM

Echoing janisj here with a request that you post links to the flats -- the Southwark one sounds intriguing and I'd like to file it away for future reference.
Dec 8th, 2007, 01:03 PM

W11 is quite a wide area. Do you have at least a street name for "Notting Hill"?
Dec 12th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. The postal code is SE1 9PL. The link is
http://www.vrbo.com/110276.
We have decided to go with the Broadwall/Southwark apartment (I spoke with the owner on the phone who seemed very nice) due to the outdoor space it had (deck off the apt) and the fact it had 2 bathrooms as opposed to one bathroom in the Nottinghill (Elgin Crescent) apartment. Has anyone stayed at this apartment? or know of the building?
Hoping that the dollar improves somewhat before March