Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

++++++++++Tower of London and Greenwich in same day???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I+'m trying to do a tentative itinerary for our 8 days in London. We got tickets for the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London. We need to be there before 9:30 pm . I know the Tower is toward Greenwich - which we also want to do so I'm wondering if we should go to the Tower early that morning and see the jewels and do the Beefeaters tour - then head for Greenwich and spend the afternoon and evening - eat dinner somewhere near the Tower - and come back for the Ceremony of the Keys that night. Would that make sense? I know you can go by boat or train but I don't know how much time to allow in Greenwich . Does anyone have suggestions??? Thanks<BR>
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 08:53 AM

It would be a long day (since you want to be at the Tower at opening time) but certainly doable.<BR><BR>Go to the Tower early. Spend at least til lunch time there. Then you can take the DLR (Dockland light railway) and walk under the river to Greenwich. After seeing Greenwich for a few hours you could take a boat back to Tower Pier, the tube, or the DLR back to Tower Hill. eat in St Katherines' dock or on the south bank of the thames and easily get to the Tower before 9:30.<BR><BR>But that is a long day and you may want different clothing for the Ceremony (warmer) - so a break back to your hotel might also be a good idea. So you might want to see if you can fit touring the Tower into another day.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Visiting the Tower and Greenwich on the same day match up well. The cruise from the tower to Greenwich is very pleasent, and you only have one trip across London to do both.<BR><BR>There is no particular problem doing the Keys ceremony on the same day, but I can't think of any advantages. That area isn't a particularly strong area for restaurant choices and I think you find time on your hands waiting for the ceremony.<BR><BR>I think you ou might enjoy it more if you toured the Tower and did the Keys ceremony on different days.<BR><BR> Keith
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 10:18 AM

I think there is a reasonable range of restaurants in the area.<BR><BR>In St Katherine's Dock, The Aquarium Restaurant is very nice, and there are a couple of dining options in the Dickens Inn.<BR><BR>If you cross over the river to Shad Thames there, there is an even bigger choice. You have the 4 Conran Restaurants - Pont de la Tour, Cantina Del Ponte, Butlers Wharf Chop House &amp; the Blueprint Cafe as well as chains such as Ask Pizza, Pizza Express and All Bar One.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 04:09 PM

You are attempting two biggies in one day. Greenwich has a great deal to offer and without knowing your likes and whether you are travelling with children, it's hard to say but I suggest you schedule them on separate days.<BR><BR>I'd take the river route to Greenwich from Westminster(?)Pier in the morning on a GOOD day. When you dock in Greenwich, you can visit the Cutty Sark or head right to the top to the Old Royal Observatory to straddle the prime meridian, come down the hill to the National Maritime Museum, etc. and go back to the pier and walk thru the pedestrian tunnel UNDER the river to Island Gardens. Take the Dockland Light Railway and the tube to wherever depending on how much time you have.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. I should have added that we're staying at Brown's Hotel- (Mayfair- Picadilly area). I don't know how long it takes to get from Browns to the Tower of London - anybody know???? Anyway, I just thought it might be easier to try to schedule the day and evening without planning to go back across town to the hotel. We are traveling with another couple - no children with us - and we are used to scheduling full days on trips to Europe.<BR> Thanks for all the help.<BR>
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 08:00 AM

Just to add to what some others have already said, the DLR now does not end at Island Gardens, so you can carry on under the Thames and get off at Greenwich.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 02:21 PM

It depends if you want to see everything in Greenwich or just the 3 biggests ones (Painted Hall-Old Royal Naval College, H4 clock, Prime Meridian). I recommend not rushing through Greenwich.<BR><BR>Why not see the Tower of London and, if you have some sort of pass, go to Greenwich and return to Greenwich the next day.<BR><BR>I went to Greenwich twice on the same trip.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 03:58 PM

Just to follow up - Greenwich needs a zone 6 travelcard.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 04:00 PM

cherigal: The Tower to or from Greenwich would probably take longer than Brown's to/from the Tower. And if you go by river, it would take a lot longer. If you go by DLR it would be about the same length of time. The DLR goes to Greenwich but getting off and ealking under the river is a &quot;trip&quot;.<BR><BR>Just because Greenwich is to the east doesn't mean it is all that convenient to the Tower. If you can manage it, I probably would plan the 2 sites on different days.<BR>
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 04:22 PM

Nope - Greenwich is in zone 2. Actually on the border of zones 2 and 3. But that counts as zone 2 from central London.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 04:49 PM

Hi! I was there earlier this month.<BR>I caught the tube from Green park and then made a change to get to Tower hill<BR>(I don't have the tube map in front of me- but when I was there I had it down after a couple of days!!) and it probably took a half an hour. Now I was by myself and could walk pretty fast to make the station changes- but I don't remember any destintation in zone 1- 2 taking more than a half an hour-they run so frequently.<BR><BR>When you do come out of the tower tube station- keep right- I wasn't sure whether to go right or left- you have to look around for a sign- they are doing a lot of construction work right at the entrance. Enjoy! It was a great site and I learned a lot of history!<BR>
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 06:10 PM

Janis, thanks for the correction on zones. Too bad I can't erase it.