Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Southern Spain trip at Easter- a mistake?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 06:43 PM
mel

Looking for some advice regarding a 7/8days in Southern Spain beginning Easter weekend. That week is the only week this year we can travel without our 1 year old, and we have been looking forward to Spain. On one hand the crowds are supposed to be overwhelming, but on the other hand: there must be a good reason this is such a popular time to visit. Should we go forward with Spain or try some other country to holiday in? (BTW- looking at Seville, Ronda, Granada, Jerez, Cordoba, etc.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 12:21 AM
margo

G'day Mel<BR><BR>Easter is the time of the huge celebration, Semana Santa, (Holy Week) in Andalusia, centred around Seville, but affecting all the surrounding areas. Seville, Granada, Cordoba and Jerez will all be affected. If you don't have accommodation in Seville now - don't bother - or prepare to pay over the top rates. Even getting there is difficult in this period.<BR>Having said this, it's an absolutely fascinating experience, if you are at all religious (Christian). Processions go through the day and night, and people come from everywhere to participate and watch. I've never seen anything like it.<BR>The non-religious things are probably pretty crowded simply because there are huge numbers there. I actually went to Cordoba and Grenada in the first part of Holy Week, a copuple of years ago. There was some problem getting accommodation, but I managed. Towards the end of the week it was just impossible - I had to travel to the north, because there were no rooms I could find.<BR>With a small child, you would want to have accommodation booked, so start looking now. This area is one of my favourite places in the world - it's just so different from anything else I've seen. Have a great time.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 03:12 AM
Judy

Dear Mel, we took our 5 kids (all adults out on their own) to S. Spain last year during Santa Semana and it was an unforgettable experience. Work very hard now at getting accommodations and expect to pay premium but it is worth it. We located in Malaga, took the bus to Sevilla, and drove our car everywhere else. By the way, the processions in Malaga were amazing beginning Palm Sunday am at the cathedral. We also followed many in the evenings. I agree with the writer above. Do it!!!! Judy

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 07:47 AM
mel

We would definately be traveling WITHOUT our 1 year old, which is why we are tied to this week. Does anyone have any suggestions about our route, based on when we will have the best luck finding accomodations? I've started inquiring in Seville about rooms for Sat and Easter Sunday nights, and I have to say that I've had NO luck finding availability; perhaps I should end the trip there instead? Am I crazy to be in this region at Easter and not be in Seville those 2 days?

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Pedro

I would suggest you to try to find accommodations in Jerez for that weekend, since processions there are really beautiful ( quite affordable city, not big at all and some of the best hotels are located some 500 metres from the city centre so it allows you decide if seeing the processions in Jerez or making day trips to Cadiz, or Arcos de la Frontera, all worthwile. I mean Hotel Jerez or Royal Sherry Park. ). From Jerez I would head for Granada stopping at Ronda. (if your schedule is not tight staying overnight ), two nights in Granada and then Sevilla stopping at Cordoba to see the Mosque. Perhaps your itinerary can be a bit ambitious for this special time of the year. Antoher option would be staying during the weekend at Cordoba (processions there are also reccomendable, much more interesting than in Granada for example) and then visiting Granada and Sevilla ( stopping or day trips to Ronda and Jerez. ) But I would not spend much time trying to find accommodation in Sevilla right now, I am almost sure there are no rooms left. Andalucia at Easter can be really unforgettable. I think you will enjoy whatever you do.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 10:46 AM
mel

Miracle of all miracles- I found a room in Seville Easter weekend! In fact, it's even at the Las Casas de los Mercaderes!! Wow- I can't believe my luck. I had even tried the Jerez route, based on Pedro's suggestion, and had no luck there. <BR>SO, now I have to figure out the rest of my trip, which should be much easier to find accomodations AFTER Semana Santa. We land in Seville and spend 2 nights there. Then we pick up the rental car at the Seville train station and drive the next 4 days. I thought a night in Jerez, 2 nights in Granada, 1 in Cordoba, and then one last night in Seville before getting back on the plane. Does that seem too ambitious? <BR>Also getting from Jerez to Granada, should we stop in both Ronda AND Arcos de la Frontera? And should we cut across country or take the longer, coastal route?? Any suggestions. Also- any specific places I can look for Easter festivities in Seville? Is there anything I should be sure not to miss? Now I'm really getting excited!

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Jen

What a great trip! There is no more beautiful place than Andalucia in the springtime!<BR>Arcos de la Frontera is a lovely whitewashed village, but I would think that especially after seeing Jerez (a similar town in many ways), you would be better off seeing Ronda. Ronda is visually stunning, and worth seeing. <BR>Since Semana Santa runs from Palm Sunday to Easter, you should not have too much trouble with its festivities while you are there. I was really surprised, however (when I was in Sevilla at Easter) that all the festivities took place prior to Easter Sunday. After the revelry and drama of the week preceeding Easter, Easter Sunday itself was very mellow. <BR>In terms of distances in your itinerary, I honestly have no idea how that will work out. I think the time you have alotted to each city should be great, however. Bon voyage!

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 11:55 AM
olga

Try these:<BR><BR>http://www.andalucia.com/festival/se...emanasanta.htm <BR><BR>www.sevilla5.com<BR><BR>Anyway, Las Casas de los Mercaderes <BR>has an event board during that week <BR>where the daily schedule of processions will be posted.<BR>Also, the front desk will have handy pocket guides available for guests.<BR>How do I know? I work there.<BR>I´m the front desk manager, so feel free<BR>to contact me privately about you reservation so I can make sure you get a nice room.<BR><BR>Olga <BR>Seville<BR><BR> <BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 12:16 PM
mary lewis

Sounds like a great trip. We were in Spain last March and spent time in all the places you mention. I personally would not spend a night in Jerez - it is a quick drive from Seville (maybe a couple of hours) and then another quick drive to Ronda (maybe an hour). I would definitely try to have your overnight in one of the Pueblos Blancos - and my pick would be Ronda. You can do what you need to in Jerez in a morning or afternoon (sherry bodegas and horses) and then travel on through the Pueblos Blancos. I also would only spend one night in Granada and spend the other night somewhere on the coast - like Nerja.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Laura

Arcos has a mini running of the bulls on Easter Sunday. Two bulls only, one at a time. It's very fun if you are an adrenaline junky. Yes, people quite often get gored but the excitement surrounding the area is great.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Janet

I will also be coming to Spain just before Easter. My daughter is studying in Seville this term. I plan on going to Madrid first, then to Seville and then to Costa del Sol. Will finding hotel accomodations be that difficult that week? I didn't realize how hard it would be. Also, how many days do you think I need in each city? We will be arriving on Good Friday, March 28th and leaving on Monday, April 8th. Thanks so much for your help.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 04:56 PM
mel

Laura: regarding the mini running of the bulls in Arcos. I just looked at my atlas and Arcos is in Northern Spain and nowhere near Seville and its surrounds. Is this the Arcos you were referring to, or was it Arcos de Frontera in So Spain?