Search

Southern Spain

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southern Spain

We have the first part of our trip somewhat planned for Barcelona (3 days) - Valencia (2 days) - Madrid (3 days). We would then have 10 more days in Spain with departure in Madrid. We would like to visit Southern Spain - some areas of possible visits - Seville, Cordoba, Granada, Nerja, Toledo, Malaga. Need advice on the following:

Trying to use trains/buses majority of way if possible. If so, what would be best itinerary?

If we need to rent a car, would it be best in Madrid or Seville?

Is Granada (Alhambra) a day trip or worth an overnight stay?

We would like the last few days of our trip to be more on the rest and relax theme - thinking maybe the coast area.

Any input on possible itinerary would be great. We are two adults traveling who love mixing with the locals, seeing the sites and having a good time with food and drink.

Thanks.
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 06:32 PM
kja

With 10 days, you can see the highlights of southern Spain. My personal preferences: 3 or 4 full days in Sevilla, up to 2 full days in Cordoba, 1 or 2 days in Granada (yes, you do need to plan on at least 2 nights there so you can see the Alhambra during both the day and the evening, in that order - reserve your tickets well in advance; allow more time for Granada if you want to see its other treasures), and up to 1 day in Ronda. I skipped Nerja and Malaga; others love those destinations.

Toledo is in central Spain, near Madrid. I thought it deserved 2 full days. Others visit as a day trip from Madrid.

You do not need a car -- you can see all these places by train and or bus.

I trust that you are aware that you are giving yourself very little time for either Barcelona or Madrid. It may be enough for you, but that really depends on your interests.

Any good guide book should give you the info you need about transportation. If yours doesn't, then I strongly urge you to get at least one other.
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 06:50 PM

When are you planning this trip? Spain has thousands of miles of coast, north, south, east and yes, even west, facing the Atlantic in both Galicia and Cadiz. The time of year will dictate where you head after Barcelona, Valencia and Madrid.
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi Kja,

Thanks for your input. Right now, we only have confirmed 3/21 arriving Barcelona, 3/29 daughter departing Madrid and 4/8 we depart Madrid. Nothing else is confirmed. What would be your recommended itinerary? We do plan to get apartments while traveling with the daughter - thinking Barri Gotic area in Barcelona, not sure of area for Valencia maybe the beach area, Madrid Old Town Center area. Any suggestions would be appreciated since this is the first trip to Spain for all of us.
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi Robert,

Any advice you have would be appreciated since this is the first trip to Spain for all of us? Don't really want to travel to the coldest locations.
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 06:59 PM
kja

The options for traveling in Spain are SO diverse that I don't believe it is reasonable for anyone to suggest an itinerary for anyone else without a VERY good idea of travelers' interests. Just one simple example: Those who love art will likely want at least 4 days in Madrid itself; those for whom art is not a priority may find just a day or two in Madrid sufficient.

There are MANY posts about travel through Spain on this board. So, in addition to consulting some guide books, do read some trip reports and especially the planning threads, where you learn what people are thinking and considering as they make their choices.

Spain is a delightful destination; enjoy!
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

We like to visit museums and top tourist attractions, but are not art lovers - like the history and architecture. Also, love to mix it up with the locals in the areas. Our travel style is to get the highlights in each area and then at the end of the travels to focues on more rest and relaxation.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 05:11 PM

Hi! we did similar journey last April, arrived and departed from Madrid, in between took a train from Madrid to Seville (via Cordoba side trip); rented a car in Seville to drive to Granada (2 nights) then 2 more nights on the coast to rest (but did side trip to Gibraltar). you can read our detailed itinerary in my blog (it was a 3-generation trip but you can still find itinerary ideas- ask away if have specific questions)

http://celebratetheweekend.com/spain...accross-spain/
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 06:30 PM
jgg

We had 8 nights and did 2 nights Granada, 2 nights Cordoba and 4 nights Seville. With 10 nights you could add sometime on the coast, which we didn't do. We did all train travel and it was very easy. As someone else mentioned, Granada needs more than just a day trip. In addition to the Alhambra you should also take the time to explore El Albaicin area.

We loved spending the two nights in Cordoba, but that could be done in one night or even as a day trip from Seville.

Here is a link to my trip report along with pictures: http://www.fromhometoroam.com/catego...ope/andalucia/
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great input. We are now finalizing this part of our journey and would appreciate input on our proposed itinerary as far as: Does it make the most sense via public transportation or should we rent a car or change the locations to a different direction of travel.

Train from Madrid to Seville (4 nights)
Train / bus from Seville to Granada (2 nights)
Train / bus from Granada to Cordoba (2 nights)
Cordoba back to Madrid for flight back home the next day

Thanks. I am enjoying reading the various travel blogs.
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 03:06 PM
kja

No need for a car for that trip -- all easily done by public transportation.

Should be great - enjoy!
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 12:18 PM

tagging along as we will be in similar places (I mean bookmarking... not literally tagging along)
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 08:00 AM

same!!