southern france suggestion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I (from Canada) visiting Paris in April, then looking for suggestions on where to spend one week before visiting Cinque de Terre in Italy.

We are considering southern France because the weather may be a little warmer there - but are open to suggestions.

Any suggestions on where to visit in Southern France? Thought we would probably rent a car to explore.

We are very active and like to walk and bike and are not interested in museums - but enjoy great scenery.

Thanks very much
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 06:54 AM

Mega
I love to say -come here, come here but in all truth, the South of France is lovely.

From the Spanish border to the Italian border, you'll see nice beaches and the small villages will please you a lot.

The Langedoc-Roussillon region has a very amount of great things to look, and it doesn't matter what you have for choices. Look into the Camargue, which is at the delta of the Rhone. Google Camargue and it will show a lot to see.

Provence is good too. I know the people from Provence things it's the only good place of France but it's just of one nice places to visit.

What part of you from Mega?

Blackduff
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 07:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Blackstuff, enjoy it all. I happen to prefer Provence, mostly because I have made many friends there.
Langedoc-Roussillon is a less crowded area. The hiking near cassis along the Calanques is one suggestion and the drive through the Gorge of Verdon(about 13 miles )is spectacular, called the Grand Canyon of France.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 08:05 AM
ira

Hi M,

When in April will you be visiting the CT?

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 08:15 AM

If you have not visited Europe or France that much, Provence would be a good choice because it is a little more "tourist friendly" than other places in the South. It is also quite easy to get to - only 3 hrs from Paris on the TGV (and cheap too - if you can nail a Prem fare).

The Luberon has lots of biking routes. See Russ Collins' site to find places to rent bikes
http://www.beyond.fr/

You could spend the entire seven days in Provence - perhaps staying 4 days in the Luberon & the remainder near St Remy.

If you want to visit the Cote d'Azur, stay in Nice - which is a good place to get a train to the Cinque Terre.

Stu Dudley

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 08:17 AM

Gorgeous Places in Provence:
Avignon-town with the Palace of the Rebel Popes

Les Baux de Provence-Pretty town perched above limestone formations.

Arles-Pretty town with intact Roman arena.

St. Remy de Provence--very charming town.

Aix-en-Provence-larger university town with fountains and Cezanne's studio.

Some pretty places to visit in the Riviera:

St. Tropez is worth a quick visit in the off-season. A boat ride will show you the mega-mansions there.

I personally liked the old section Nice, with its quaint architecture and narrow alleys.

Eze is pretty and is perched high on a mountain.

I know that you do not like museums, but the Ephrussi de Rothschild estate is wonderful.

St. Paul de Vence and Vence are also worthwhile trips.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 09:44 AM

Eze is deffo worth a day and Menton is worth a trip as well. http://www.hotel-france-hotels.com/p...ica-st-michel/ This basilica is lovely inside and out as well as some fabulous gardens and other monuments.

Not to forget Monaco which used to be the rulers of Menton. There is plenty to see in the most splendid tropical garden they have there. Mainly cactus but there are some spectacular views around there too.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 09:59 AM

Eze worth an entire day?? - that's certainly not my opinion. If you want to have breakfast, lunch, & dinner there, shop in all the shops 5 times each, walk every street 5 times, spend a couple of hours just admiring the views - it could consume a day. If you just want to explore the village & maybe have one of the most expensive lunches you've ever had, then just a couple of hours would do.

Just my opinion.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 12:13 PM

Stu,

You are probably right ... it will take an hour to get there and an hour to get away by bus. It could take an hour for lunch and an hour to get to the top of the hill where the garden is. It make take longer as the maze of wonderfully cobbled streets and snickets have quite an amazing feeling to them.

The art shops that you will no doubt be tempted by will take a few moments each and shuold you require some refreshments 1/2 way up, I am sure that could take a half hour.

It would take an hour to take in the gardens and some of the most spectacular views on the Riviera. A few moment on the way down could inspire you to visit the lovely little church that you get a splendid view of once again from the top.

A half day then but still worth the trip imo.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 05:39 AM

Hi

Check out these photos of Languedoc to see if it is worth a visit : http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/ph...hoto-index.htm

Peter
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 05:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
megamiles, here is a virtual tour of the south: click on the areas you'd like to see.

http://www.vaucluse-visites-virtuelles.com/