Southampton to London and hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2019, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are taking a cruise in October which ends in Southampton. We plan to spend 3 nights in London before flying home. Please suggest moderate costs ways of getting from the dock to a London hotel. We are in our early 80's with several pieces of luggage due to medical needs so prefer not to have to handle our luggage on too many stops.
We haven't been to London for many years and would appreciate suggestions for reasonably priced (under 225 pounds per night) hotels in good locations.
Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 18th, 2019, 04:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
'Moderate cost' transport would be the train or a coach but neither sound practical for you. Usually the cruise lines can arrange transfers - have you checked with them? Otherwise there are car services but most will be pricey - what do you consider 'moderate cost'.

As for hotels - there are (literally) thousands to choose from. £225 is at the low end of 'mid price' in October which is definitely high season. Rates tend to be VERY date specific so a property that may may fit your budget some days in October could be twice that a few days later. My guess is you won't be using the tube much or at all and more relying on cabs and buses so proximity to a tube station isn't all that important. So plug your dates into booking.com and see what you find . . . OR give us your exact dates and we can give you suggestions.
Old Dec 18th, 2019, 04:35 PM

Your cruise line most likely will offer transportation to LHR airport or a landmark in downtown (such as Victoria coach station) for about USD$69/pp. From Victoria coach station you can get a taxi to your hotel.
This may be easier than booking a private car service, because then you won't have to look for your driver at the cruise terminal.

Others will chime in to give you additional options.

Last edited by Reading54; Dec 18th, 2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old Dec 19th, 2019, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
'Moderate cost' transport would be the train or a coach but neither sound practical for you. Usually the cruise lines can arrange transfers - have you checked with them? Otherwise there are car services but most will be pricey - what do you consider 'moderate cost'.

As for hotels - there are (literally) thousands to choose from. £225 is at the low end of 'mid price' in October which is definitely high season. Rates tend to be VERY date specific so a property that may may fit your budget some days in October could be twice that a few days later. My guess is you won't be using the tube much or at all and more relying on cabs and buses so proximity to a tube station isn't all that important. So plug your dates into booking.com and see what you find . . . OR give us your exact dates and we can give you suggestions.
Thanks for the info. We are actually walkers. We prefer to walk most places, taking cabs or tube when necessary. The dates we will be staying in London are Oct. 30, 31, Nov. 1 and maybe Nov. 2.
Old Dec 19th, 2019, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. We'll check it out.
Old Dec 19th, 2019, 12:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
A quick look for your dates I found these nice to very nice hotels w/i your budget on booking.com:

Sanctuary House
St James' Court
Fielding Hotel
Strand Palace
Apex Temple Court
Radisson Blu Edwardian Bloomsbury St
Rubens at the Palace
Montague on the Gardens
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Janis. I will check those out. Do you use booking.com regularly? I usually try to deal directly with the hotel.
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 06:51 AM

Can’t answer for janisj but I use them all the time. Always been pleased and very easy. I only go directly to hotel for booking if the type of room I want is not listed on the booking.com website. The hotel does not put all their rooms out for the various booking agents. So, if you want twin beds for example and none are available in the booking.com website, check with hotel. I seldom find much of a price difference . I can usually complete my booking in under 2 minutes.
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 06:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I travel like historytraveler