Southampton to Scotland and back to London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are coming into Southampton on a Saturday morning and have one week to make a circle along the western coast of England, into Scotland and end up at Gatwick the next Saturday. We have Brit Rail flexipasses and will take the train. I need an itinarary that will include one night or two in Turnberry for a round of golf. Is this doable or am I gonna be worn out?
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 12:40 PM

Sure, you can do it. If the golf is the key issue, book the tees and move on from there. My recollection from having tried to book for Fodorites in the past is that you can't unless you're staying in the hotel (mega dear)
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 01:56 PM

As Sheila says - you can't simply play Turnberry. Unless you have an invite by a member, you need to stay at the hotel and it is VERY expensive. So if you mean staying near Turnberry - no, at the Turnberry Hotel - yes.

Now if you were willing to play Troon or Prestwick instead - no problem - just book tee times WELL ahead. You don't have to stay any particular places for these two great courses.

As for the rest of your question - can you get from Southampton, up the west side of England (you won't see much "coast" because Wales would be in the way), to Ayrshire and back to LGW in a week - sure. But what do you want to see along the route?

In your case a BritRail pass probably doesn't make the most sense. You can fly to up to Scotland and the fly back to LGW a lot faster and a lot cheaper than a BritRail Flexipass.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Well, it's not just me...I have a wife and two children (14 and 10) and they get 2 brit rail passes free when we buy. Still, it might be easier to fly out of Bristol and rent a car from Glasgow? or does it make more sense to go back to London and fly out of Gatwick? I want to play golf at least twice and I have points with the Westin, so I can get on Turnberry...is it that much better than Troon or Prestwick? The rest of the trip is for sight seeing...car or train?
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:10 PM

not to beat a dead horse - but the low cost airlines are REALLY low cost if you book far enough ahead. Like £6 plus tax -- or sometimes even £0 plus tax. The cost of two Flexipasses is still more than 4 R-T air tickets if you paln ahead.

Turnberry is fabulous of course - but the friends I have taken to play have enjoyed Troon immensely. And they have really LOVED Prestwick. I'm sure partly because of the history there with all the early Opens etc.

But IF you can get Turnberry for points -- go for it. It certainly is out of reach to so many travelers.

Now, if you are considering driving one way - either up to or back from Scotland - I don't see how BrtiRail passes could be of benefit.

The hot set up for me would be a low cost flight to either Prestwick (I'm not sure if Prestwick is served from any of the southern England airports but you can check on their website) or Glasgow (or train if that turns you on), pick up a car, stay and play at Turnberry (say 2 days), and then head south. Travel through the Lake District, the Peak District, maybe overnights in the Cotswolds and/or Bath, then off towards Gatwick for the last night before flying home.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 10:42 PM

If you decide a budget airline is the way to go, check out flybe,(www.flybe.com) they fly from Southampton Airport to both Glasgow and Edinburgh and their prices are very competitive.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 11:57 PM

Cdfev

there's a chap on here called Roger who loves to do what you're talking about about would give his eye teeth to play at Turberry.

IF (and only if) the journey is part of the trip and not just a way to get to a destination, it's quite doable. Last time Roger went to Cardiff, then Shrewsbury, then Carlisle, then Turnberry (where he bought a ball from the pro shop to prove he'd been there) then... I'll not bore you with the details. You could do it more quickly- for him the journey IS the trip- so, as I said, book the tee, then get back to us and we'll fit something together for you.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:01 AM

flybe.com is currently advertising glasgow - southhampton for £25. (may not include taxes)
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 11:33 AM

As Sheila said, the train travel is what it is all about for me. I do love golf, Scotland and given the facts presented I would likely do something like this. Southampton to Chester on Saturday; Sunday to Turnberry via Carlisle and Dumpries; Monday at Turnberry; Tuesday to Glasgow and then to Leuchars (St. Andrews); Wednesday and Thursday in Edinburgh. Friday to London. Having said that, it really is hard to go wrong while in Scotland. Another place I like is York, about mid point between Edinburgh and London. Tons of things the kids would enjoy. I strongly suggest you do a search on York to find out about all of the sites. Have fun. hit it long and down the middle.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate everyone's help. I think that we will do a mix of train and rental car. I'll look at your suggested routing Roger and see if I can pull it off. Broke 80 for the first time in my life this year and think that I'm ready to give the links style courses a shot