Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

SOS to Ben Haines or others that know Poland.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben (especially) and others of you have helped me so much in planning our trip to Krakow and Prague. The problem is our plans have changed. I hired a researcher to take us to my parents place of birth. We will be in Krakow, he lives in Warsaw and wants $300.00 to pick the 4 of us up and return us 2 days later. I think we could save some money if we take a late night or early morning train to Warsaw and have him pick us up at the station, and return us to the Warsaw station to take a night train to Prague. I know it is a longer trip then leaving from Krakow, but once we leave to find the ole homestead we will be done seeing what we had time for in Krakow anyway. My questions are: 1. Will we save money taking the train from Krakow to Warsaw, 4 adult fares versus $300.00 for a private car ride? 2. How many hours to get from Krakow to Warsaw? 3. Is there an advantage in taking the night or morning train? I want to see Krakow, the Castle, old jewish quarter,Auschwitz, salt mine? I know it will be hurried , but can it be done in 2 and a half days? When I found this researcher, I had to give up 2 days in Krakow, but I don't know when I'll ever be back, and the chance to find out where my roots (and my kids) are was very enticing. Hope you can answer all or atleast most of my questions. You haven't let me down yet. Thanks in advance. Mary
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:33 PM

I'm not Ben, nor have I been to either town, but I have done a lot of train schedule research. I went www.raileurope.com, clicked Fares & Schedules and chose Krakow & Warsaw. If I did this right, it is showing that the trip is 1 1/2 hours, first class adult fare is $36. Hope this helps! Sounds like a very interesting trip.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:38 PM

I don't know nearly as much about this as Ben or some others might, but have been there once. The train from Krakow to Warsaw takes a little over an hour and a half. In there morning, there is a train about every hour from the schedule I've seen. You will definitely save money because trains in Poland are very cheap. I don't know exact fares, but from my experience, I'd guess it would be about US$20 per adult, second class, for that route.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:40 PM

oh, they have a website (Poland Rail) at www.pkp.com.pl
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 10:05 PM

Again..Try intercity busses. <info @pex.com.pl> The guide and car can be good. We, six of us, hired a driver. Lodz to Krakow, two nights there and back. Included stops at Oswiecim and Wieliczka. Price $250. My Polish wife negotiated the price with local taxi firm. There is a sustantial difference between local prices and international ones. Hotels in Slovakia have two prices, one for visitors and one for natives.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 02:15 AM

Auschwitz (Oswiecim) which is actually Auschwitz-BirkenauII is a day trip. The salt mines are close to a day trip too although it can be hurried if you get up early say 7AM to 2PM round trip from Krakow. The train to Warsaw is about three hours and you would save money. Personally I like travelling places like Poland during the day as I like the rural/industrial scenery mix and match and enjoy the ride. You should see something of the countryside even if it is from a train window.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you. I'm going to try the polish train website (hope its in english!) All of you (and Ben didn't even answer) have made every trip we've taken out of the U.S. more enjoyable thanks to your first hand experiences. I can't wait to be able to help other travelers like me!
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Gino

zwho,<BR>I am a little confused.<BR>1. What is the town your parents were born in.<BR>2. I hired a researcher to take us to my parents place of birth. We will be in Krakow, he lives in Warsaw and wants $300.00 to pick the 4 of us up and return us 2 days later. <BR> Not having been privy to your previous posts, please explain what you are trying to do and I'm sure you will get very good info.

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Art

Mary, for the 4 of you, I would rent a car and drive. The main roads are only 2 lanes but in quite good shape. The Polish drivers are courteous and are good drivers. We made a loop from Germany to Torun to Gdansk to Warsaw and Krakow then south to Romania. We had no problems driving and saw a lot of the country while at it. You will also be able to do much more in less time while in Krakow. You could easily do the castle and the salt mines in one day. You could combine Auschwitz-Birkanau and the old-town in another day. If you saw Schindlers List, visit the area were it was filmed. You can get a map showing the former Plasoz death camp as well as the Kommendants house and the original Shindlers factory while there. We really enjoyed Krakow.<BR>Have a great trip.<BR>
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 06:46 PM

How were you planning to get to Auschwitz and the salt mines? When we were there 4 years ago, excursions to either place were about $60 a head. That's a lot of money if there are 4 of you. We had a rental car and visited both places on our own. Driving wasn't a problem at all (other than finding our way into the inner city of Krakow where our hotel was located). For that, you could just hire a taxi driver and follow him. Renting a car would also solve your problem of how to get to Warsaw inexpensively. One thing, if you do this, be sure to pay to keep your car in a guarded lot overnight. We only used the car to drive in and out of Krakow and to visit the salt mines and Auschwitz; other than these times, it was parked because we would never want to drive around the city.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Once again, thanks to everyone whos helping me. Gino, I'm getting very good help, even thou you're confused! I love the idea of renting a car and thanks for the tip on guarded parking. We did this in Spain with auto europe. It was a really good deal. Should I stick with them or is there a better choice for Poland? Okay, Gino, for you in a nutshell. We were going to Krakow for vacation. My parents are from tiny towns that are not tourist sites. Going there seemed out of the question since we don't speak polish. I found this man who will take us and try to find out some of our history. So our plans changed. Thats it.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:04 AM

Sorry my reply is late: I came home yesterday from three weeks in the Balkans.

The second class single fare by InterCity or Express train from Krakow to Warsaw is 15 euros. You have no need of first class, so four people cost 60 euros. The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. This shows restaurant car trains that take 2 hours 40 minutes from Krakow Glowna station to Warsaw Central. Trains to interest you leave at 1800, 1900, 2000, 0600, 0700, and 0800. Do you know the nearest town to your grandparents' home, or the name of their village ? If so, I may be able to timetable you from Krakow to the town station by train, to meet your researcher there.

Overnight, with a sleeping car, your choice is Krakow Glowna 2245 to Prague Hlavni 0720 or Warsaw Central 2126 to Prague Hlavni 0720. You can book both your seat to Warsaw and your sleeper to Prague at the Orbis office either near the great square in Krakow or near the Pollera Hotel there. This is easier than at the station, as Orbis staff speak Engkish. In the stations at Krakow and Prague pickpockets work in gangs of three, to crowd you. No problem. At Krakow Glowna station you can take lifts between the platform and the station roof, and on the station roof can choose a taxi with a firm s name and phone number painted on the side. On arrival, if you have no Polish money, you can ask the driver to stop at a cash machine, ATM, or in Polish Bankautomat, on the way to your hotel. On departure you ask the hotel doorman to tell the driver to go to the roof. At both stations you pass through the station carrying only rail tickets, one credit card, and a little money: all other valuables are in a bag inside your biggest piece of luggage, for withdrawal on the train or in your hotel.

The salt mines and Ausschwitz have frequent busses and minibusses from the bus station near the main station in Krakow: I see no need to hire a car there.

Ben Haines
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 04:35 AM

Welcome home, Mr HainesI hope their will be a trip report?