Sorrento With Day Trips

Search

Sorrento With Day Trips

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2019, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorrento With Day Trips

I don’t know why I’m just now getting a chance to write this trip report for the best trip I’ve taken to date.

My husband and I stayed 5 nights in Sorrento in April 2018. We did day trips to Capri/Anacapri, Positano/Amalfi, Vesuvius/Pompeii, and Ischia.

We booked our trip as well as a transfer to and from our hotel through Expedia. Great deal and we had a great experience.

For the first afternoon when we arrived, we just explored Sorrento and found both the train/bus station and where the ferry departs.
Sorrento is very walkable and family friendly.

For our first full day, we took the ferry first thing to Capri. As soon as we got there, we did a boat tour of the island, which was amazing. There is an optional stop for the Blue Grotto, which we didn’t decide to do until the last minute because it’s pricey, but also realized if we didn’t go, we’d still have to wait for the other people who did do it to get back. There’s an added cost for the entrance, plus you’re expected to tip like 10-20 Euro to the person who takes you on the tiny boat inside. So it is pricey for a short experience, but it was a unique experience and I don’t regret doing it. After the boat ride, we took the bus to Anacapri, which you can buy a ticket for and hop on to your right when you get off the boat. I wanted to do the solaro chairlift but it was closed. We explored for a while, and then took the bus back down to Capri. There was a huge line at the main bus stop, but if you walk past that stop a bit, you can hop on the bus before it gets to that stop. Might be cheating, but this tip saved us loads of time. We stayed in Capri for a bit and then took the ferry back to Sorrento and had dinner there.

For our next full day, we took the bus to Amalfi first, then to Positano, and then back to Sorrento. You can hop on the bus at the train station in Sorrento. Be aware of where the bus picks you up in Amalfi and what times. We waited in the wrong line for a bit and then missed the bus we wanted to get to Positano. Not the end of the world, but slightly annoying. One thing to note about Positano, is that if it’s nice weather, wear or bring your swimsuit. It had a nice beach so I would’ve liked to spend some time there or in the water.

Next full day we took the train to Pompeii and got off at the Pompeii stop, but we waited for the bus to go directly to Vesuvius. There was a little sign for the times in the station and I think we bought the tickets on the bus. There will be people out front trying to sell you packages, but I don’t know anything about those/wouldn’t recommend them. The bus ride was a bit long, but they drop you off close to the entrance and then you hike the rest of the way to the top. So worth it! The only thing I wasn’t expecting was the number of bugs/gnats. They follow you until you reach the top. Expect for them to stick everywhere - hair, shirt, etc. We took the bus back to Pompeii and walked a little down to get into Pompeii. We did a half day there and used the Rick Steve’s audio guide, which you can download ahead of time. I think the actual audio tour is an hour, but by the time you stop/start it each time to look around, we ended up spending 3ish hours there I think.

For the next full day, we took the ferry to Ischia. This is the day I wish I would’ve planned better. We went to the Aragonese Castle, which was beautiful, and then took the bus all the way to Sant Angelo. Sant Angelo was pretty, but it was a very long bus ride and the town was basically shut down on a Monday and the water was swarming with jelly fish. Ischia was beautiful and the views from the castle were great, but I’d recommend doing a lot of research for where you want to go before going to this island.

This trip has been both mine and my husband’s favorite trip so far. The Amalfi Coast is just beautiful.