Day Trip from Sorrento?

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:47 PM
Christine

Day Trip from Sorrento?

Our tour offers a full free day in Sorrento (after ouring Sorrento and Capri the previous day). We have the option of taking their bus ($40 each x 2 ) to the Amalfi Coast for the day -stopping in Poisitano, Amalfi and Ravello. Can't decide if we would rather go on our own on local bus to Amalfi and back (how much for the bus?)......OR....take the circumvesuviano train for sightseeing and a wander around a village. Which village would be a good one to stop at and have thet own right there - not alot of walking? We will already have spent a day in Pomeii. Would the train be picturesque enough to just ride it up and back? Thanks.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 07:34 PM
Dianne

If you have a full day, for sure do it on your own. It's easy and you can spend that $80(!!) on something else. A couple of years ago my tickets from Sorrento-Amalfi, then Amalfi-Ravello and back to Sorrento cost about $6US. The Amalfi coast is beautiful and I would most highly recommend this rather than going for the train ride.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:35 PM
joyce

I agree...go up the coast...but take "the Big Blue Bus"....it's exciting, you get to meet lots of new folks, and it gives you the freedom to stop at a town you might like to visit longer. We loved Ravello....but we love pottery and this town creates beautiful dishes, etc. Positano is also lovely. Have fun wherever you go.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:20 PM
jt

The circum. train route is NOT an attraction - it's a subway type mass transit train with no more scenery to offer that what you've already seen around Pompeii except for Naples.<BR><BR>Take the first bus of the day to Positano's 2nd stop to sample the hairpin views and be positioned at the top of this steep town. Walk/tour slowly way, way down and catch the very scenic ferry to Amalfi. There the town and the bus lot is right at your level and if you are really lazy you can linger there and take the bus to Ravello (yawn).<BR><BR>But what you should do is stay on the boat to Salerno and transfer to a bus marked Paestum. Go past that town and alight at the archeological park - wonderful! Not at all redundant with Pompeii, this offers graceful Greek temples amidst wildflowers, an outstanding museum, and a serene untouristy experience (english not much understood though).<BR><BR>In any case, time yourself to catch one of the last bus runs back from Amalfi. You can tour the town and board bus early and get a seaside seat, unlike if you were boarding in Positano (which is no picnic for a number of reasons).

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:57 AM
Kay

Christine,<BR>I would definitely recommend doing it yourselves, you will save heaps and can do exactly what you want. The first time we went to Sorrento/Capri/Pompeii we did a tour and visited the cameo factory and the woodworking factory - fascinating I'm sure, but all they are hoping for is the tourists to spend money there. <BR>We were back in Italy this year, travelling on our own and loved it. I would recommend the train only as a means to get from Naples to Sorrento, not as a day tour. Catch an early bus -they can get quite full later - to Positano for a look round then another bus to Amalfi which is further on (or skip Positano which we felt was over-rated). After looking around Amalfi you can catch another bus to Ravello which is high up on the hill with beautiful views. It is about an hour from Sorrento to Amalfi, with breathtaking views along the way of the coastline. The driving and traffic along the narrow road which hugs the cliffs seemed hair-raising to us but the Italians are used to it and don't blink an eyelid. The buses are easy to use, cost about 1-2 euro per sector and they are well used to tourists asking, is this the bus to Ravello?? One more tip, try and catch the bus back to Sorrento from a place where the bus starts from, like Amalfi and get on early while it is standing waiting for passengers. That way you will get a seat. If you get on in Positano chances are the bus will be packed and you will stand all the way back to Sorrento. Don't forget to validate your ticket in the little orange box on the bus.<BR>Kay