Sorrento vs AC (Positano?)

Feb 20th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Sorrento vs AC (Positano?)

Collette Travel tour first week of September 2015 ... Will have an afternoon / evening free while staying in Sorrento. My Question: With approximately 4 to 5 hours available, is it "worth it" to travel over to the AC from Sorrento? Not concerned with shopping, etc - just want to experience the AC since one always hears about its beauty. Wondering if it is that much different than Sorrento. We have purchased an optional Capri visit from Sorrento, and our tour includes Pompeii on the way. Thanks for opinions/advice in advance!
Feb 20th, 2015, 09:23 AM

Yes Positano is a classic cute old town that spills down to the sea - Sorrento is not on the sea itself but on a ridge high above it - hardly can see the sea from much of the town - completely different and the bus ride there will be harrowing as you near Positano - there are ferries available too. I'd say go for it as long as you can comfotably get back in time for your sailing - buses run very frequently but can get ensnarled in bumper to bumper traffic so maybe take a ferry back.
Feb 20th, 2015, 09:41 AM
ekc

As PalenQ said, there is nothing like the Amalfi Coast villages, especially Positano. Depending on the ferry schedules in September, taking the ferry to the AC could be an option, as the last ferry to Sorrento leaves positano at 4:00 - but the schedule could change in September.

www.coopsantadrea.com for the ferry schedule.
Feb 20th, 2015, 11:06 AM

>>>Will have an afternoon / evening free while staying in Sorrento. My Question: With approximately 4 to 5 hours available, is it "worth it" to travel over to the AC from Sorrento?<<<

I would take a ferry from Sorrento to Amalfi. Book online in advance if possible. Ferries don't run often and they don't run late so you will likely need to take a bus back(they will run until 11pm or so at that time of year).

Arriving in Amalfi by ferry it's an easy walk to see Amalfi. After a walk around there (or lunch), you can catch the bus to Positano (it's inbetween Amalfi and Sorrento). Hop off there for a few hours and walk around Positano.

>>>We have purchased an optional Capri visit from Sorrento, and our tour includes Pompeii on the way<<<

Not quite clear what you mean by this as Pompeii is on the mainland and Capri is an island. Do you have a link for your tour?
Feb 20th, 2015, 11:45 AM

With 4 hours available, minus travel time, it's going to be a quick taste.

ky: You think they can make the trip you've described in the time allotted?
Feb 21st, 2015, 07:32 AM

I would say just stay in Sorrento and go for a long walk in the city. There are some great little neighborhoods on the hillside. Or go down to the waters edge and enjoy a leisurely lunch just enjoying the town. Sorrento is lovely.
Feb 21st, 2015, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

kybourbon: Mentioned the Pompeii visit so that responders knew we'd being seeing it and would not suggest it as a side trip from Sorrento. Our tour is a land tour - not a cruise - so no worries about missing a departing ship. It is just that our non-booked time is stated as free time

It seems that it would not be a major expense to ferry over to the coast - so having just a taste of it would be OK. The response from PalenQ regarding Sorrento being different is what I was looking for ... although an excursion to Capri we've already booked as an option.

Maybe a better question for me to ask is: Is the Amalfi Coast (Positano for instance) different enough from Capri to warrant the short time / quick trip)?

We are traveling with Collette Tours on "Italian Vistas". http://www.gocollette.com/tours/euro...italian-vistas

As always, thank you all ...
Feb 21st, 2015, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

whoops - 1st paragraph - last sentence should have ended "stated as free time OF THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING"
Feb 21st, 2015, 07:37 AM
WWK

The ferry from Sorrento to Amalfi takes about an hour. That doesn't leave you much time. You could hire a private driver to take you to Positano ( it's about 30 minutes by car), but coastal traffic can be intense, though maybe not first week of September?

Anyway, just stay in or around Sorrento and have a wonderful long dinner in the Old Town.
Feb 21st, 2015, 07:39 AM

Your question is hard to answer, but IMHO, Capri is a bit overrated -- not to mention overrun. I don't know anyone who doesn't like Positano.
Feb 21st, 2015, 08:47 AM

I'm ignoring the 4 hours because it's however many hours you want depending on how late you are willing to stay out. If your tour company said that, it might just be they are dropping you for 4 hours and then picking you back up.

>>>kybourbon: Mentioned the Pompeii visit so that responders knew we'd being seeing it and would not suggest it as a side trip from Sorrento.<<<

After looking at your tour, your hotel is not in Sorrento so that complicates things a bit (unless you have a different hotel than the one listed there). Your hotel is in Castellammare di Stabia which is closer to Pompeii than Sorrento and the hotel is a bit isolated. It's also no longer a Crowne Plaza. Not a huge problem as you can take a train between there in Sorrento if you want (Vico Equense stop), but would have to get a taxi from the station at Castellammare. The hotel also offers a shuttle service. If the schedule is still accurate, as long as you are back to Sorrento train station by 11:30pm, you can catch their shuttle (might have to book it with them). The shuttle appears to also stop at the Vico Equense train station. It appears the Curreri shuttle bus (makes around 6 runs per day, but not late)that runs between Sorrento and Naples airport stops at the hotel too.

http://www.towershotelsorrento.com/a...coast-2014.pdf

The other issue is you are departing Rome that morning (day 5). It will be about a 3 hour drive to Pompeii. If you have more of a detailed itinerary, perhaps it will give you a clue about what time you finish your Pompeii tour (does it say free time for lunch after?). You would then most likely drive to Sorrento (30 minutes or so) to visit an inlaid wood place. If this doesn't interest you, you could dump your group as soon as you get to Sorrento and head out on your own excursion.

If you skip the wood demo, you could head to the port to catch a ferry (check schedule options in advance, book if possible) or to the Sorrento train station to catch a bus (buses run more often - hourly, but are crowded).

You would probably be skipping the tour dinner that day so you can sightsee on your own.

Another option is to leave the group early on your Capri day (day 6). Spend the morning on Capri (they don't really seem to be including any tours, just transport to the island and Anacapri) and take a ferry from Capri (book the day before or as soon as you arrive at Capri docks) to Amalfi, visit, hop a bus to Positano (Positano ferries are more dependent on weather - rough water and they don't put in to Positano), visit, bus back to Sorrento (will drop you at the Sorrento train station). This might be the better option day since Pompeii can be very tiring and you don't have an included dinner on day 6.

We can help you work out the logistics if you decide to do either. Ferry schedules probably won't be posted for a few months yet.
Feb 26th, 2015, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

kybourbon: thank you for your information once again. I copied and pasted it onto my word document I'm compiling and feel armed for decisions once there ... probably the best time to make them.

I purchased the excursion to Capri as it was an option .. now kind of wished I hadn't, BUT! Life is full on enjoyable experiences no matter where and how.

Thank you all ...