Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

SORRENTO: Grand Royal Hotel or another hotel that's better?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2010, 06:36 AM
DAX
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just reserved a room at the Grand Royal Hotel in Sorrento for late October based on the idea that it is close to the Vesuviana train station (or the bus system?). Anyone knows how good their premiere sea view room is? It seems like a good value, nice room with breakfast.

We'd appreciate any input about this hotel or perhaps a better one in Sorrento if there's any. We have to figure out how to get around with the public transportation. Anyone has the link for the bus, ferry, train schedules? How easy is it to go down to the Marina Grande to use the ferry to Amalfi, Positano? We plan to return by bus to avoid the climb back up to town.

We would also appreciate tips on Sorrento.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 06:44 AM

Two ferry links, but there are others:

http://www.alilauro.it/

http://www.coopsantandrea.com/it/ser...ea/servizi.asp
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 06:51 AM
DAX
Original Poster

Thanks Eks, you've been a great help. Any tip on the amalfi coast transportation?

Here's the grand hotel pictures. http://www.royalsorrento.com/gallery.php
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 02:17 PM

SITA bus for transport on the Amalfi Coast/Sorrento, etc:

http://www.amalficoastweb.com/orari_...imetables.html
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 04:02 PM

Not familiar with that hotel. We stay at the Excelsior Grand Vittoria. the entrance to the grounds (extensive gardens) is right on the main piazza. the hotel faces out over the Bay of Naples with terraces and many rooms with balconies. It's very traditional - about 1900 I would guess - with large public rooms and a charming staff. It is on the cliff immediately above the marina and has a private elevator from the hotel terrace directly onto the marina - avoiding the need to climb up or down.

We like it very much as long as ou get a room overlookng the bay (the gardens are beautiful but may not be that attractive in late October.)

I believe it is close to all public transit - but since we always drive I don't have the details.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Uma

I would second Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria. Our room had two balconies with stunning views of the Bay of Naples.
Great location, very helpful staff.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 11:33 AM

I too enjoyed the Excelsior Vittoria. The rooms are large and well-furnished, and the views are stunning. It also couldn't be more conveniently located. It feels as if it's in its own little enclave, but it is right off Piazza Tasso. There is also an elevator on one of the back terraces that takes you directly down through the cliff to the marina (and back, of course).
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 11:35 AM

I would recommend the Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria also for same reasons as above.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 12:16 AM

Hi,
now if you'd consider reviews on Tripadvisor and Booking.com, you could easily understand why the Hotel Bellevue Syrene is the best in Sorrento for many reasons: views, unique design, free snacks and drinks, location... in few words very good value for money!
http://www.bellevue.it/
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 12:17 PM

After looking at all the above mentioned hotels all of which are pretty spendy..Does anyone know of anything that is under 90 Euro a night?? Certainly there must be decent places that the average person could enjoy. Thank you