Sorrento accomodations Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where should my family and I stay. ( 2 teenage boys ) We would like to be by the sea and close to the central shopping and dining area. Want to spend under $200 a night if possible. Our dates of travel are June 30th - July 5th. Thank you in advance.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 01:23 PM

I would get an apartment with that gang. Look at:

www.summerinitaly.com
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 02:17 PM

We stayed at Hotel Ulisse Deluxe it was just off the main st on a bus route down to the beach or you walk down to the beach about 10 mins. the hotel was new the rooms all ensuite, very helpful staff. we booked it the through www.hostels.com the site has hotels, B&B,and Apartments . and you only have to pay a 10% deposit.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 02:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would look for a place with a pool rather than trying to be "by the sea and close to the central shopping and dining area." Most of Sorrento is located on a cliff above the water, so it's usually a choice of being by the sea -OR- close to the central shopping and dining area. There is bus service to neighborhoods beyond the center.

I agree with bobthenavigator that an apartment might make the most sense for 4 people and a relatively low budget. You're late for booking early July, so I'd nail something down ASAP.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 03:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've seen several bad reviews for Hotel Ulisse (I think noise was one of the main complaints) so be sure to check TA for reviews before booking.

Much of Sorrento is cliffs so even if you are seaside, you don't have always have water access. Some hotels that do have access offer concrete bathing piers, not beach although there are a few at the far edge of town. I would stay out of town, up in the hills (for views), with a pool. If that interests you, Hotel Aminta has a nice pool, views and a courtesy shuttle to town.
http://www.aminta.it/
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 03:32 PM

We have booked the Hotel Ulisse for 5 nights in July, I'll post a review when we return. But I checked TA before I booked, and again just now and the reviews are very positive.

jean253 - I'm glad to hear you liked it. Did you walk from the train station? Do you remember how long that took?
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 05:52 PM

Hi Everyone - thanks so much for your replies so far. I should mention that I'd like to be near the sea where beaches are easily accessible and close to the main center. Grazie Molto!
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 10:18 PM

I recommend Sorrento Flats but if you want something with a hotel concierge, Domus Sorrento. Both are right in the shopping centre (near Via Tasso) and close to the water (Marina Grande)
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 05:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think you are understanding the beach situation in much of Sorrento. Here's a few pics.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...hing-decks.jpg

http://www.ondaverde.it/images/sorrento_italien.jpg

http://www.etro.vub.ac.be/Personal/f...Sorrento_2.JPG

Here's a list of the beaches in the Sorrento area. As you click the links, click the satellite version of the map. You will see that many are more bathing piers surrounded by rocks than beach.
http://www.sorrentoinfo.com/en/22/4/...stablishments/
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 10:26 AM

Why do you want to stay in Sorrento? Your boys will have much more fun in a place on the Amalfi Coast where they can swim, at least have some peebly beach to walk or/sit on/swim off, dive off the big rocks, snorkel etc (our girls LOVE all that). Sorrento is not any good for any of that as several posters have noted.
We always prefer to rent somewhere if we are there for a week to give us more space and more food options - I second the recommendation for summerinitaly who we have been very pleased with. This vs hotel is a matter of personal choice of course
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 11:08 AM

Oh, I forgot "Casa Dominova". It is the one place I really liked after searching for a place around Marina Piccola(where the boats leave) and the Circumvesuvia in a hurry to leave another hotel. It is right in the restaurant and shopping area and 5 minutes downhill to Marina Piccolo, but hidden on a sidestreet. If you want to go to beaches, I suggest taking the frequent hydrofoils in Marina Piccolo that take you right up to Positano's beach and if you take theto Amalfi, you will find little boats there that make frequent trips to the really pretty St.Croce & Duoglio beaches on their way to the Emerald Grotto.
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 11:14 AM

Also, I really liked Sorrento, and your boys will have fun there because it has more stores and nightlife, the lodging is much cheaper especially for a family of four, and you can go to Naples and Pompeii very easily in the Circumvesuvia, and tour the Amalfi fairly easily in the Sita buses(sit on the right side going)or by ferries, hydrofoils.
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 11:24 AM

We stayed in Sorrento on our very last night in Italy before flying out of Naples. We are a family of four (16 yr old daughter and 12 yr old son) and stayed at "The Magi House". I cannot say enough about it. It was very nice and super affordable. I cannot comment on the breakfast as we left too early to have it but it was one of the nicer places we stayed after traveling around Italy for 3 weeks.

www.magihouse.it
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help!
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 03:17 PM

Check out Hotel Settimo Cielo (7th Heaven!). It is on the "Capo" which is a short walk up from downtown and there are buses if you are feeling lazy or have suitcases. It has spectacular views and most rooms have a terrace (our views were amazing). The hotel has a pool, which should appeal to your kids. This hotel was terrific value for money and breakfast was included. Their website is www.hotelsettimocielo.com Highly recommended
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 04:09 PM

isabel We are 4 seniors who stayed there last April and didnt .find it noisy. The staff were very helpful.The Hotel also own a Spa & Gym down the street. I don.t know if you could use it. Yes it was about a 15 min walk to the station worth a taxi if you have luggage. There was an alleyway across the street that led to shops bars etc, We loved it there.
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 06:23 AM

I can reccomend Ulisse Deluxe, it offers an extraordinary position that allows you to comfortably visit every corner of Sorrento, starting with the famous Corso Italia lined with shops and attractions such as the side streets in the historical centre and and suggestive atmospheres offered by Marina Grande.
Double rooms from 69,00 €
Its web site is: http://www.ulissedeluxe.com/