Something like Walmart??

Old Jul 6th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something like Walmart??

I read somewhere online - of course cant find it now.... that as far as shopping for basic stuff like a bottle of water, batteries, film... there is a store similiar to Walmart in the United States.

If anyone knows the name I would love to have it.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 04:15 PM

Where? Anywhere in the world?
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 04:40 PM

EVery country has supermarkets - although you may not find them in all small towns - where basics are much cheaper than in tourist shops (although still much more than in the US).

What country/city are you asking about?
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

OOH I am sorry - I was talking about in London.....

there was a specific store - not so much supermarket....
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Try Tesco and/or ASDA (subsidiary of Walmart in the UK).
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 06:35 PM

Boots
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 09:07 PM

Few tourists in London are likely to get within miles of an Asda branch and Boots (a toiletries and pharmacy chain with little interest in discounting) is nothing like Wal-Mart, though it does sell water and has quite decent sandwiches. At a price.

The minibranches (all over town) of the major supermarket chains Tesco and Sainsbury charge a bit more than their bigger stores, but traipsing miles out of your way to save 5p on half a litre of Evian is unlikely to be the best use of your time. They're generally the best bet.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 09:24 PM

flanneruk,

The request was for "a bottle of water, batteries, film". Not food.

Old Jul 6th, 2008, 09:36 PM

I would have sworn that we saw one in 2004 when we were going between Greenwich and London. If we had thought more quickly, we would have gotten off the transit to check it out. I'll have to ask my husband if I am remembering something else.

I did some googling and all I could find was a reference to ASDA being owned by Wal-Mart.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 09:37 PM

http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/gui...=1154654668677
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

I will look more too - not sure if owned by walmart but similiar as far as pricing - it said something to the effect of rather than pay $6 for a bottle of water go to_________ and pay only $2....... thanks again!!
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 04:39 AM

or you could just refill your bottle at the hotel/apt. save lots of money and not have more plastic bottles filling up the landfill.

Film - a digital camera is an (maybe expensive) option. Can't help with batteries, we keep losing the rechargeables, which work very well, BTW.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 05:01 AM

Batteries are usually at the checkout.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 06:15 AM

traveller 2005, I think you're thinking of the ASDA on the Isle of Dogs, which you can see from Crossharbour DLR station - they have a sign advertising themselves as part of the Walmart fanily or some similar corporate flimflam.

But seriously, for "visitors' basics" such as you mention, any number of places will sell them, down to corner shops, and kiosks in the bigger central London tube stations. You don't need to go out of your way looking for a particular chain.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 08:20 AM

zeppole,

Tesco (esp the large ones out of town centre) carries non-food items. Actually, non-food accounts for nearly a quarter of their sales.

oh2doula,
I don't think anyone pays £3 for a bottle of water, unless it's some branded mineral water in a fancy bottle. All items you mentioned can be easily found at Boots or at supermarkets. There is also a Co-op just north of Holborn, though they never seem to be open in the evenings.

Closest store formats to Wal-Mart here would be a deep discounter like Aldi or Lidl. Actually, there is a Lidl right next to Asda near Clapham--pretty visible if you're taking a train from Gatwick.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 08:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
the horror stories about $6 water and $8 cokes make me laugh. Of course you CAN spend that much. But you'd really have to hunt to find them. Don't worry about traipsing around to save a few pence - you can get water (London tap water is drinkable BTW so you really don't have to buy masses of bottled water) batteries, film, sundries EVERYWHERE,

BTW - film will be expensive compared to the States. If you use a film camera, it would be best to bring all your film w/ you. You'll save $3-$5 per roll. But it is important that you carry film in your carryon bag. Never put film in checked luggage. The scanners will ruin it. (Scanners used for carry-ons won't damage normal speed film)
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 09:29 AM

Bloody hell.

I thought I was the leading maker of pedantic points round here.

Yes, there are two branches of Asda a tourist might come close to: the one you pass on the DLR at Crossharbour and the one at Clapham Junction you see from the Gatwick trains. But neither of them are in places any visitor is very likely to stay at, visit or even get off the train to save 2p on a AAA battery

Nor are there any Aldis or Lidls located anywhere casual visitors would actually go into.

They're all in that huge wen where most people live. One or two hard-core visitors (like PalQ) take positive pleasure in comparing different styles of London suburbia. But for everyone else: Tesco's yer man.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

I think Tesco was the name but it sounds like i dont really need to worry about it - ask how much stuff is and corner shops will have basics.....

thanks
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 05:38 AM

Tesco is a good place to find those little knick-knacks you're searching for. I always frequented the nearest Sainsbury's grocery store for bottled water. One huge bottle was usually around 64 pence. Just avoid the touristy places...they'll overcharge you.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 04:02 PM

traveller 2005, I think you're thinking of the ASDA on the Isle of Dogs, which you can see from Crossharbour DLR station - they have a sign advertising themselves as part of the Walmart fanily or some similar corporate flimflam.

Thank you for letting me know that my memory isn't completely shot. Sometimes I wonder.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -