Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Some suggestions needed for Greece please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there!

My husband and I are going to Greece the 3rd week in Sept. We arrive in Athens late Saturday night and then have until the following Monday (9 days later) at 6pm before we fly home (out of Athens as well). Our thought was to only stay in Athens for a couple of days and then go to some of the islands - we have been told Mykonos and Santorini are great...Does this seem too ambitious? We don't want to run ourselves ragged but also would like to see some interesting sites. Any suggestions for hotels? Any "must see" places that you all can personally recommend??

Thanks so much!!
Marcy
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 05:13 PM

Marcy,
I think you could do Athens, Santorini and Mykonos in that amount of time. It will help if you fly between the islands. The flights are not very pricey and very quick. Of course more time would be better, but if you take early flights you can make the most of your time.

We were there 7 years ago and stayed very near the Plaka in Athens. We stayed at a Best Western Resort on Mykonos. It was great, but not in town. We walked to the beach. I'm sure others have in town suggestions. I was a bit clauterphobic in town in Mykonos. In Santorini we stayed at a great hotel facing the volcano, but I'll have to look it up. It had a great resturant too. I'll look for the hotel and post if I find it.

I'm know the others on the board will have lots of ideas.

Have a great trip, we loved Greece. The people are wonderful and the food was great.

Travelatte
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Travelatte! I am getting so overwhelmed as I pour through all the information!! And one other little piece: We are in Spain 10 days before we fly to Athens so I am trying to organize that as well!!

I really appreciate anything that you (and everyone else) can suggest!!

Marcy
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 05:36 PM

Hi

Marcy, please state what your hotel budget is.

Athens and two other islands in 9 days is easy to do. In Athens there is the Acropolis and the National Archeological Museum. And dinner in the Plaka area.

Next ferry to Mykonos. I loved the town - its narrow maze of streets was so atmospheric, particularly at night. Beautiful beaches too.

Then ferry to Santorini. Stay in Firostefani for magnificent sunsets over the caldera and walkable to Fira.

Flight back to Athens (Olympic or Aegean Air). Try to time this flight so that you can leave that day from Athens airport for your flight home. Allow plenty of time in between flights.

Please note - you need to sort your accommodation out ASAP, particularly for the islands.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Worldinabag...great suggestions.... to answer your question re: budget - we were hoping to keep it under 100 euros a night if that is possible - I've been scouring the internet and have seen some really cute looking places for really cheap (some less than 50 euros for the 2 of us). We aren't sure if those are too good to be true.

We are late 40's/early 50's so we don't want to rough it TOO much!!

Thanks for any other suggestions!!

Marcy
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 06:25 PM

I say skip Mykonos (unless you're wanting expensive upscale nightlife) and go to Santorini and Paros. These islands have more to offer and are close together. Definitely don't miss Santorini, and I wholeheartedly recommend the village of Oia for your accomodations. It's the most beautiful and timeless village on the island.

Here's a link to a website with many good hotels to choose from, separated by village and price category:

http://www.santorinihotels.com/hotels.php

Old Aug 20th, 2005, 08:04 PM

I'd also recommend skipping Mykonos and visiting either Paros or Naxos. Also, in September, either fly back from the islands or build in an extra day or so of flex time. The winds at that time of the year can often shut down the boats -- even the biggest ones -- for a day or two.

If this is your first trip to the islands, Santorini is a must-see. Spent more there on lodging and make it up on Naxos or Paros, which have lower lodging prices.

Don't get me wrong. Mykonos is lovely and it's got the best access to Delos, but Santorini-Mykonos pairing is a U.S. tourism cliche and you'll have few chances to avoid the mass tourism track. You won't totally avoid it on other islands. But especially on Naxos, there are places that are not totally dependent on catering to tourists.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 09:43 PM

Hi

It might be good idea to list the hotels you've found here in this Forum so Fodorites can critique them. 50E a night sounds too good to be true for something not too rough. Is this high season price? Do the rooms have private facilities? What about location?

Some hotel suggestions:

Athens: We stayed at the Cecil Hotel. Rooms off the main street are quieter. The Attalos Hotel a couple of doors down gets good reviews as well. Both are in an excellent location.

Mykonos: We stayed at the Vencia Hotel. On the hill and very panaromic. Short stroll to town. Clean basic rooms. Lovely breakfast terrace and pool area. Make sure you ask for a room with a balcony.

Santorini: Our stay at the Grotto Villas was memorable. Huge room, large baclony and cooking facilities. Views to die for as the cliche goes and in my opinion a bargain.

See ya.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 11:04 PM

The Anemomilos Hotel in Oia is a good bargain. They have a caldera view from their balcony AND a swimming pool. Be sure to ask for a room away from the road.

http://www.greek-hotels.com/santorini/anemomilos/
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 08:35 AM

There is no problem in doing 2 islands in 9 days or so, indeed you will have a wide choice of islands. The Greek islands do not consist of only Mykonos and Santorini. There are around 70 to choose from. Those two islands are just mega tourist traps and if you avoid them you efforts will be rewarded.

So I will suggest you visit Astypalaea and Amorgos, which are tremendous islands to visit and they are very reasonably priced. Not least they actually do have some greek atmosphere, genuine greek villages, not the trashy fakes of the terrible twins.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 02:12 PM

In planning our visit to Greece last June, I found so many islands I wanted to visit. In the interest of time, however, I finally decided on Paros and Santorini, because the islands are on the same line and so ferry connections were easy.

We loved Paros! Once you leave the port, it feels very rural. We stayed at Lefkes Village for 120 euros/night for a family room. We really enjoyed the hotel, which is in a beautiful setting just outside the village of Lefkes, overlooking olive groves that stretch down to the Aegean. There is also a lovely pool.

Paros has some pretty beaches and some attractive towns to explore. It is not as developed as Santorini and so was a nice contrast.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the advice!! You have all been so very helpful. We will now busily finalize our itinerary.

Can anyone offer a good website where we can find ferry and flight information for getting between Athens and all the islands in this area (the Cyclades)? I am reading some different suggestions about the best way to travel. It sounds like there may be rough water for some of the longer trips so we may want to seriously consider flying for the longer routes.

Thanks again!
marcy
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:01 AM

Departures from Piraeus port:

http://egov.yen.gr/en/yen.chtm?prnbr=27622

Departures from Rafina:

http://egov.yen.gr/en/yen.chtm?prnbr=27860
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:09 AM

oops sorry.That was for ferries.

here is a link with a complete flight schedule from and to athens
http://www.aia.gr/EN/passenger_infor...info/body.shtm
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 10:13 AM

Hi: We stayed in the Hotel Cecil last September. It was comfortable (a converted townhouse) and VERY centrally located, just blocks from the Plaka. In fact, we walked everywhere in Athens from this Hotel.

The room was about 90 euros and included a buffet breakfast. They will accomodate you if you need to eat earlier than their usual hours because you're on a day-trip from Athens. By the way, our room was on the roof and had a marvelous view of the Acropolis.

You might want to plan some day trips from Athens, like Delphi and the Peleponese. The agent who booked the hotel for us also booked the tours and it was a little cheaper than booking direct. And the tour bus picked us up at the hotel.

Santorini is exquisite and very romantic. Take lots of film.

Check with Virtualtourist.com for other suggestions and reviews from fellow travelers. Have fun!!!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:44 AM

Agree with those who suggest skipping Myjonos in favor of a more 'authentic' island experience. We did a trip to Santorini and Naxos, with a day on eahc end in Athens that was absolutely perfect. In Santorini, Oia is by far the nicest place on the island to stay. We stayed at the Royal Canaves II which had breathtaking views and charming cave rooms. I travel extensively and it was one of the most fabulous places that I have ever stayed. Naxos is the greenest of the greek isles and has great sites. rent a car for the day and explore the mountain where Zeus was born, a village made entirely out of marble and sweeping views. If possible take the ferry from Naxos to Santorini and sail into the mouth of the volcano - its spectacular.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 03:48 AM

Hello to all! It?s great to hear that you are coming to my country this September and to tell you the truth you have chosen the best period for the greek islands. I tend to agree with all who spoke FOR Santorini & Paros/ Naxos, as Myconos is always very crowded and not the real island feeling.
I am sure you will enjoy the best time in the extraordinary island of Santorini (3 nts will be fine), and YES, you should stay in either Oia or Firostefani.
As for Paros and Naxos, I prefer Naxos, with more traditional villages, history, high quality food and the best beaches in the world (3 days OK).

To be honest, I never book my hotel beforehand at this time of year. I go there and get advise on-the-spot, so I have the chance to check the room and decide. Sometimes the internet can really fool you!

However, it would be more relaxing for you to get advise from Athens, in several tourist offices in Syntagma Square.

Advice 1: take the TRAM from Syntagma Square to Glyfada, a seaside suburb. It is a very nice ride, a perfect view, and in Glyfada there are hundreds of open- air restaurants to dine.

Advice 2: take the bus route “ATHENS SIGHTSEEING PUBLIC BUS LINE” Nr 400 (www.oasa.gr) and you will have a cheap sightseeingtour of all major attractions in the centre.

Advice 3: To check on the sea- transfers, www.hellenicseaways.gr is the most reliable site.

I really hope you enjoy your stay and will be happy to read your news later.

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:01 AM

We spent 3 wonderful weeks in Greece early this summer and I would recommend going to Naxos over Mykonos--didn't go to Santorini. It's less expensive, has wonderful sites and beaches, and has fewer tourists. It's worth it to rent a car for a day (25 euros) to see the interior towns, ruined temples, countryside. We recommend Aegean Thesaurus as a small, personable travel agency, tho we found Pension Sofi on our own (30 euros)--call Rena at 011-30-69744-54810.