Greece Rounds in 10 days

Jul 25th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Greece Rounds in 10 days

I am arriving in Greece to Santorini via Athens and would spend 10 days all on September.
I wanted to visit Santorini and Mykonos Islands and of course explore Athens.

Questions:
Should it be ideal if I will go straight to Santorini, then Mykonos and Athens?
What shouldbe my best mode of transportation from island to island transfer. I ma single and very easy going.

I wanted to exit Greece by Athens to Pamukkale and Cappadocia of Goreme City of Turkey.

Questions:
Would it be possible by flight?

Thank you
Jul 26th, 2012, 01:11 AM

I would go straight to Santorini by air, then take a ferry from there to Mykonos. On your return to Athens you have a choice of flight or ferry. Travel times by ferry from Mykonos to Athens are shorter than from Santorini, so there isn't as much advantage in a flight. If you plan to spend some time in Athens before moving on to Turkey, Blue Star from Mykonos to Piraeus would work best.
Jul 26th, 2012, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank yo u very much Heimdall. I wil take not on that.
I will consider flying from Athens to Santorini in order to maximize my time.

Is Athen just a day to explore?
Jul 26th, 2012, 03:50 AM

Athens is a large city with many museums and ancient sites, plus some beautiful neighbourhoods where Athenians go to relax. Some tourists think all there is to do is see the Parthenon, visit the Acropolis Museum, and walk through Plaka. If that's all you want to do then it could be done in a day.

Personally I think a minimum of three days is needed to even scratch the surface of places to see in and around Athens. Although I've been there many times, there are still lots of things on my "to do" list. For instance, I haven't yet been to the Benaki Museum or taken the funicular up Mt Lycabettus. To enjoy Athens, especially in the heat of summer, it's best not to rush around and try to see everything in only a day or two. Spend some time in cafes enjoying a long lunch, and stopping for a cool drink.
Jul 26th, 2012, 06:24 AM

When I go to greece in the summer, i usually hit the same three spots: athens, myk, and santorini...i have done it many different ways over the years, slow ferries, fast ferries, flights (most recent trip in june 2012). I am headed back in sept for 12 days and am doing the flight to santorini as soon as i arrive to athens. for you i would recommend: arrive at ATH airport, fly to santorini (JTR) right when u arrive to ATH, stay santorini 4 night, fast ferry (flying cat 4) to mykonos, 3 nights in mykonos, and ferry or flight back to athens for 2 days in athens. Do you have ten days or ten nights? i prefer 4 days in santorini and just 3 in mykonos. 2 in athens is good. i have spent more time in athens, and got bored because u can really see everything in just 2 days. and i was there in june and only spent one day/one night in athens and i wish i had another extra day. u wanna hit the acropolis of course, the agora, and new acropolis museum. try to get to the islands early in sept if u can to ensure the best/warmer weather if you are interested in going to the beach