Search

Greek Honeymoon Help!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greek Honeymoon Help!!

Hi All!!

I'm new here so feel free to chastise me if I make any missteps in my first post

I'll be getting married this coming May 2011 (!!) and we're 99% settled on Greece as our honeymoon destination!! I was hoping I could come here to pick the brains of the resident experts.

We stopped by a travel agent and I was actually in shock at how unhelpful they were, I've spent the past two days learning much more in these forums than their pamphlets and pretty dull lecture. Anyway, on to the dates we're working with and what we're trying to do!

We'd be looking to leave May 30th or 31st (from the East Coast of the US) and return somewhere between June 9th and 11th (so as many as 13 days and possibly as few as 10). From what I've read here we'll be going during a pretty good time, as the in-season will just be starting to heat up, but nothing will be too crowded, hot, or expensive (we hope!).

The general gist of what we're thinking of doing is as follows:

Arrive in Athens
Spend a day or two in Athens taking in the sights
Depart for an island (Naxos, perhaps?)
Spend 3-4 days there
Depart for island #2 (Santorini?)
Spend the remainder of our time there
Fly home (I read somewhere we could fly directly from Santorini to England then back to the states from there, which would be nice, I think - but does that make any sense/make anything easier?)

We were considering Mykonos as well (and I'd love to visit out-of-the-way Rhodes), but we're leaning towards spending quality time on a smaller number of islands rather than hopping from place to place just for the sake of saying "I went there" and not really getting to enjoy it. So... we're open to anything from here. The more islands we visit the better? Should we substitute Naxos for Mykonos or somewhere else (pretty set on Santorini, though)? I've seen some people suggest bouncing right from Athens to an island without leaving the airport if plane schedules allow... is that recommended? I really want to see the historical sights in Athens, but I suppose doing it at the end of the trip instead would be okay if that makes other things work better. At this point our hearts are set on very little so we're open to any suggestions.

Thanks so much for your help!!
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 11:38 AM

You'll get great advice here--lots of knowledgeable Greek travelers. I am planning a Greek trip as well, but to a different region. I suggest getting your airfare nailed down first, because the prices really start to climb at that time of year. At kayak.com, you can check open-jaw flights.
I really like your idea of Athens, Santorini, and Naxos. That way you get the wow factor of Santorini and the more quiet Naxos. Best wishes!
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 12:01 PM

We are making our third trip to Greece in May, so certainly not as expert as many you'll hear from. We fly from eastern US and most flights arrive in Athens in the morning. We try to fly to our farthest destination that day (in this instance, Crete) and work our way back to Athens, ending our trip there. We find we enjoy Athens more when we're not jetlagged and, if we arrive back in Athens by ferry, we are not risking missing our flight home if we are delayed for any reason.

We have always had RT tickets to Athens, though, so your plan of flying home from Santorini would work as well.

More islands do not necessarily mean better.....you need to take into account travel between islands and the time that takes. With a short trip, your 3 stops sound perfect.

I'm sure you'll get lots of expert advice, as I have with previous trips. Have a wonderful honeymoon in Greece!
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 01:04 PM

If you can get a direct, non-stop round-trip flight from the east coast to Athens it makes better sense than trying to co-ordinate flying through the UK. That said, if it's something you want to look into, go to www.easyjet.com to see what they might offer in May/June. They're the best airline for cheap, direct UK>Santorini flights (out of Gatwick Airport). More than likely, though, this will mean an overnight in London before your flight home.

With a maximum of 13 days you don't have time to waste. Choose two islands close together that will also allow for an easy return to Athens for the trip homeward. Fly out to your first island as soon after your arrival as is possible, allowing at least 2 hours to make the connection. Save exploring Athens for the end of the trip so you have plenty of time to get back to the mainland in case of any unforseen delays or cancellatons out on the islands. I recommend Naxos over Mykonos, but whichever you choose you can get from either to Santorini on a daily basis.

If you want hotel recommendations please give us your maximum daily room budget, in euros.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 01:05 PM

Look at Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air for your domestic flights between Athens and the islands.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, we have been to all the places you mention. Naxos and Mykonos are both lovely, I don't think you can go wrong whichever island you choose. Naxos has the historic Venetian kastro to explore as well as the portara (massive doorway to an ancient temple) where Mykonos town is full of white sugarcube buildings with bright pink bougainvillea and vivid blue doors and stair railings, so every time you turn a corner you reach for the camera.

We've stayed twice on Santorini, first time in Fira and second time, last year, in Oia. On Oia we had a wonderful caldera view which was really beautiful. Oia is quieter than Fira but I think more romantic. There are buses all day between the two.

It seems flying from Santorini to London would add time on to your trip, which takes away time from the Greek islands so not a good idea. Also if you arrive at London Gatwick but your flight home leaves from Heathrow, it can take hours just to transfer from one airport to the other. A direct flight from Athens would be quicker.

One other thing, if you fly into Santorini from Athens it is quick but you won't see much. If you arrive by ferry, there are wonderful views of the island as the boat approaches. If you catch a catamaran (twice the cost of the ferry and twice as fast) you are inside and won't see much.

Have fun planning.
Kay
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 03:11 PM

Yes the views of the island as the boat approaches are lovely --- but if you take a regular ferry as you LEAVE, the views are exactly the same! The large Blue Star Ferry ... the best of the ferry lines leaves Santorini daily... and as it pulls away from the port, you can gaze your fill and take all the photos you want.

One thing I found, the approaching views of Santorini are gorgeous but you often cannot take time to enjoy because y ou are hustling inside down the stairs to get your luggage & stand in the crowd in the dark for the ferry ramp to slam down. GOing away, y ou're at ease on deck.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi Again All!

Thanks so much for all of your feedback so far. We're definitely leaning heavily towards Naxos as our second island (at this point, Santorini is a lock). It seems like one of the bigger decisions now would be the order. I was going to save Santorini for last because I heard the ride in by boat is beautiful (which a few of you have mentioned as well) and we plan on flying in to our first destination but the idea of checking out the view as we leave seems like a good one as well - so if there are any other circumstances I should consider while deciding on the order, please feel free to weigh in.

I understand the logic in saving Athens for last as a precautionary measure, but I just can't see us being too happy about cutting our idyllic honeymoon lounging on the beach short to go back to Athens, so I'd rather tackle that on the front - but I'd also rather be able to enjoy everything without worrying about being stuck somewhere and missing a flight. Is that type of thing common? I'll defer to the experience here on that issue.

As far as hotel recommendations - at this point we don't have much of a budget in mind and we could use some idea of what is offered in what range. A decent proximity to beaches and towns (or public transportation - we weren't considering renting a car) is at or near the top of the list, with something that feels "special" because, well, it IS our honeymoon. We could do something a little less formal and expensive at one island and really splurge on another or split the difference. What's best? Bigger resorts? Small bed and breakfast type places? We're going to be spending the majority of the nights doing romantic dinners and enjoying each other's company (we aren't big clubbers, etc) but we also don't mind being around other groups having fun (it does lend a nice atmosphere to trips) so being secluded or in the thick of things isn't a sticking point for us. As you can see, we're floundering a bit on lodging choices, but we would definitely want to treat ourselves, as long as the prices aren't too out of hand.

Thanks again everyone for your help!! If I was excited for our trip to Greece before, I'm even more excited now. Judging from the enthusiasm from you all, it seems like we chose a great destination for our first trip together (and also thank you all for your kind words.)
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 05:47 PM

The weather is stable in May so getting stranded then is not a high probability. Planes do get delayed, so if you choose to return to Athens on the same day as your flight homeward be sure your flight to Athens gives you ample time to make the connection.

On Santorini rooms range in price from €25 to €1600 per night, so you really DO need to have a budget in mind before we can offer you some appropriate recommendations. Otherwise it's a waste of time for everyone concerned.

The most beautiful and romantic Santorini village is Oia. Nightlife there is limited to the restaurants, some mellow bars and cafes. There are no lively clubs or discos like there are in Fira. The beaches are on the other side of the island, so if that's where you want to stay focus your search on Kamari Beach and Perivolos/Perissa Beach for the most variety mixed with shops, galleries, pubs and restaurants.

This link will get you started: http://www.santorini.com/hotels

You can check hotel reviews on the tripadvisor website.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks brotherlee. That's certainly a substantial range!!

It'll depend on how lucky we get with our flight prices, etc - but realistically the high, high end of our range is €225 a night, maybe even a bit higher (though that would mean going lower on the other island and positively skimping on accommodations in Athens).

€100 to €175 would be the sweet spot but if we find the perfect spot - I'm not going to let a little bit of money get in the way of having a wonderful experience.

As a "for example" from some brief browsing, I'm absolutely in love with Alexander's Cave Houses (http://www.santorini.com/hotels/alex...uses/hotel.php) and if the sentiment here echoes that on TripAdvisor, it's the type of place I wouldn't mind hitting the upper end of my range for.

Thanks again for all your help, I realize "100 to 225" isn't much of a specific range, but hopefully it's better than 25 to 1600
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 07:39 PM
wug

Congrats on your upcoming wedding. 11.5 years ago we spent our honeymoon in Greece (and Paris) and it was incredible!! You are going to love it!

There are arguments for doing Athens at the beginning and the end of the trip. It's really up to you. I enjoy getting straight to the islands so I can get through jet lag in the relaxed environment. I can see your thinking making sense too though.

Naxos and Santorini is a great combination of islands, giving you two different experiences. I love both islands. I'll second staying in Oia. That is always our preference. Options for accommodations vary, just be sure to get the caldera view. That's a must, especially on your honeymoon! We usually stay in cave houses that are privately owned rather than resorts. It really just depends on if you want a pool, breakfast service, etc.

We do usually rent a car for at least part of the time we are there. (Santorini and Naxos) That way we can visit the out of the way beaches, visit the wineries, go to the sites when we want, not have to worry about bus timetables all the time. That's not to say we don't use the buses too. You can definitely do without a car if you want to. You're going at a perfect time and it won't be crowded. You can wait until you're there to decide if you want to rent a car one day. You shouldn't have a problem getting one and wherever you stay can help you with that.

Enjoy and let us know what you decide and then definitely post a trip report. Happy planning!!
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 07:45 PM

About the business of not wanting to end your island idyll to go back to athens -- please. IT sounds as if you are saying "I'd rather eat my vegetables first (gt some obligatory history), and then have my dessert (loll around an island)". THat is NOT really the way to look at Athens.

Why not look at thingsthis way?? You'll be rushed/harried/tired -- all the hassle of the wedding hubbum -- and you'll need to collapse! THerefore, it's MUCH better to have your first sunset on a beautiful island!!! And after 7-8 days of island relaxation, y ou will be "into" how the Greek thing works, you'll be mor familar with everything --- and you'll be energized and revitalized, and much more capable of enjoying Athens. And when you've been immersed in Greece culture & istory for even just a few days, the famous landmarks of Athens will resonate SO much more for you!!

Believe me, please. On my first trip, I went to Athens first ... and nothing meant anything much to me. I then spent 3 weeks on various islands and mainland sites ... and when I returned to Athens for 2 days before my return home -- I saw it in a whole new light.
So --- it's not all about just making sure of y our connections. There are other reasons.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 08:36 PM

Here's a list of possibilities:

Oia-Strogili Houses, Rimida Villas, Delfini Hotel, Lucky Homes, Villa Kallisti, Casa Sofia, Lauda Hotel, Filotera Villas, Fotinos Houses and Old Oia Houses.

Fira-Scirocco Hotel, Studios Caldera and Caldera Butterfly Villas.

Firostefani-Villa Manos, Villa Ilias, Villa Maria Damigou, Sunset Hotel and Blue Dolphins Apartments.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 11:17 PM

Hello Travelerjan - just to give the contrary view on Athens - to me it IS the vegetables !! and last year I cried leaving Santorini to go back to Athens... I always have more appetite for Athens at the start of a trip when I am positive and looking forward to things - I spend the couple of days in Athens at the end I think "I wish I was back in the islands" (we usually do Athens at both the start and the end for a few days). So RoveT, your thinking might not be for everyone but would certainly work for me.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 11:18 PM

sorry - typo "Ispend the couple of days in Athens at the end THINKING "I wish I was back in the islands
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 04:53 AM

littlejane, in y our case and in the case of anyone else who feels that way, I would suggest skipping Athens altogether! Just take the first flight or ferry out of town upon arriving, and return to the area as close to your outbound flight as y ou safely can. Then you will not have tears at the thought of going there.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 05:43 AM

Also, check out Esperas Traditional Houses in Oia. We had a great stay there a few years ago and it was "somewhat" affordable.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 05:48 AM

Yes Jan having seen the major sights and museums (all well worthwhile seeing once) personally I would skip Athens on future visits if possible - I do think the islands and the coast are so much nicer, and time is always limited. Just my view.

And sorry if my message was unclear, I didn't mean I was upset at the thought of visiting Athens but I was sad leaving beautiful Santorini. Athens just seems like such a climbdown after that wonderful place.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 08:08 AM

I want to second what travelerjan says, because so much of successful travel planning is about philosophy. What I mean is, IF you aren't jazzed about Athens, do not feel obligated to spend much time there.
And with accommodations, if you aren't the upscale resort type, don't feel like you have to stay somewhere like that just because it is your honeymoon. You probably know all this already, but it helps some people to hear it. A modest little rental apartment with a balcony is just as luxurious to me. It is all about putting your priorities tops--so you and your fiance should make a list of what is most important and what you both think will make the best trip. Enjoy the first of what I hope will be many trips!
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 08:14 AM

RoveT - Congratulations on your impending marriage and your choice of honeymoon destinations. I think you show some very good logic in your posts so far. Athens, Naxos and Santorini will give you a lovely taste of Greece. Consider if you will need to absolutely relax and rest upon arrival. FIf so, fly directly to Santorini. Spend your higher hotel funds there you will be spellbound by the vistas as you relax in a lounge chair. The view as you depart by ferry will be even more meaningful. Also, don't take the fast ferry because you can't get outside to really see the view. Then move on to Naxos - of course I will always recommend Paros, but you certainly will love Naxos as well. You can find less expensive lodging there and rent a car to really see the island. When you go back to Athens, as already said, you'll be renewed and have the energy to do lots of walking before going home. You'll also be able to utilize your impressions from the islands to appreciate the art and artifacts. You can fly from JFK on direct flights to Athens quite easily and most cheaply. We usually fly from Boston and with one stop to save money. It also gives us a walking break to work out the cramps as well. For ease of connection, fly through Heathrow rather than DeGaulle. Have a wonderful trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -