Reload this Page >

Some Specific Questions Re: Amalfi Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Joanne

Have been to Italy several times but never south of Rome. We're taking our three boys, 11, 14 and 19, as well as my oldest son's girlfriend. Here are some specific questions, and I really appreciate any specific info or insight.<BR><BR>1) Villa right in Positano town so that we can catch buses and circumvenusium (sp) or villa out a ways and rent a car? Also, will the teenagers feel isolated out a ways? I'm thinking that they'd rather be able to walk down the street to bars and restaurants.<BR><BR>2) I know the driving age for rental cars is 25, so that's out for the kids. Does anyone know what the driving age is to rent motor scooters? What about cost?<BR><BR>3) Hoping to see Pompeii, Vesuvius, Herculaneum, Capri, maybe go fishing one day. Does anyone know any reason why this couldn't happen in late November?<BR><BR>4) Some things close up, we know. But everything doesn't close up does it?<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 12:17 PM
meg

Sorry to put you off, Joanne but my first reaction when I saw the ages of the children was... they'll be bored silly. Positano is pretty quiet at the height of the season- bars and restaurants, sure but full of 40 year olds. No clubs, no live music. You won;t even be sunbathing in November! I'd seriously think again

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 02:14 PM
jt

Your req's just shout Sorrento as a<BR>solution. Positano is way overhyped here; you can daytrip to it and other such places. Stay in central Sorrento so the kids can run around the active downtown and pretty harborside.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 02:20 PM
russ

I would consider staying in Capri or Anacapri, and day tripping to Sorrento, drive the coast and see Pompei. Positano would be terrible for kids, worht the drive...but staying ???<BR>Good luck, it's a beautiful region!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Faith

Another vote for Sorrento, they will have a ball, and you can catch the boats for day trips there too. Sorrento comes alive in the old town at night.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 03:51 PM
greg

sorrento?i would never go again, touristy beyond words,filthy trashy markets.positano is beutiful but the kids will be bored stiff.in fact they would be bored anywhere on the coast.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Frank

Joanne<BR>Another vote for Sorrento. I was there with my sixteen yr old son, and eighteen yr old daughter this past April. Lots of shops, people watching, the local kids have a huge passagiamento at night, gelati, restaurants, etc. The entire Amalfi coast (including Positano) is touristy. The best part about Sorrento is the ease of daytripping. My son liked the chaos and flea markets and pizza of Naples, my daughter loved Pompeii. The best beaches are on Ischia but I don't think you'll be sunbathing in November.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 09:46 PM
Louise

Not another tourist (Greg) complaining about other tourists! They are there for a reason, it is wonderful. The passiagiata is fun at night, and they will meet some new friends, the locals, and there are alot of them too, are very friendly.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Amy

Another vote for Sorrento for the kids's sake. I think both Positano and Amalfi (the town) are too isolated and slow for kids. Sorrento is a pretty good ride to Pompeii on the Circumvesuviana as well, and as someone else mentioned, easy ferry rides to Capri. And Sorrento is pretty fun at night.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Joanne

Thanks everyone. We are now looking at Sorrento, although it is now going to be a balancing act between the great quiet views for my husband, and the action scene for the kids! Any recommendations on Sorrento hotels or villas?

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 12:37 PM
debra

So glad you're looking at Sorrento - it's my favourite place in Italy...Sure, it's touristy, but so is everywhere on the Amalfi Coast, besides, by November it'll have quietened down a lot. Hotel wise, I'd definitely recommend the Imperial Hotel Tramontano. It's in a perfect location in a quiet street, yet still remarkably close to the town centre for the kids to do the evening passegiata...Make sure you get a room overlooking the Bay of Naples - your husband won't be disappointed with the spectacular view of Vesuvius. Take a look at the hotel's website www.tramontano.com<BR>You might be lucky with the weather - a friend of mine went there last year in November and had fine sunbathing weather!<BR>Have fun..

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 12:49 PM
LeeAnn

Joanne, tell your husband not to worry. Get a hotel with it's own grounds where he can relax to his heart's content. He can look over the bay at Mt. V. all day if he wants! The town is there in walking distance if you want to go, or you can vegitate in the hotel. Look at Fodors rants and raves too for some good suggestions on hotels.<BR>Otherwise you will hear some whining teenagers that there is nothing to do in Pos. and Almafi.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 12:50 PM
jt

No lack of views or quiet is needed if you get a hotel on the cliff overlooking the ferry harbor (on the Naples side of town). Best to get a room not facing the sea, but facing sideways (sea corner best of all) where you see the ocean, harbor, and village going up the hills.<BR>Via Califano (president, ambassador?)

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Kay

Joanne,<BR>we stayed at the Hotel Bristol in Sorrento a few years ago, as part of a package tour. I think it's 4 star. Very nice, fabulous view across the bay and of the town. It's built into the cliff and is about 15-20 min walk down into town (not steep). Restaurant was very nice, with the same stunning views and a pool on the rooftop. Only downside was it's a bit of a walk to the train/bus station but the bus does go by the hotel I think.<BR>Kay

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:40 AM
Paige

We stayed at La Tonnarella (sp?) on the edge of town and loved it! We had a balcony with a view of Sorrento and the cliffs that was awesome. It's a short walk down a street with a sidewalk back to town.