Search

Some Rome ???..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Rome ???..

1. how would we go from our hotel which is on Via De Torre Argentina to the Borghese museum. We don't know if we should do a taxi, bus or whatever.

2. if we get a tour to the Vatican can we avoid lines?..if so who do you recommend?

3. is there a Rome bus map online somewhere?

I do thank you...we are trying to plan exactly what we are doing..
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 07:18 PM

1. You can use public transportation, but no stops are really close to the Galleria Borghese, unless you are going to change buses. You'll need #3 below, and I'm afraid I don't know of a website with Rome's public transportation. We have always taxied to the Galleria Borghese and walked back.

2. No. Tour groups wait in line with everyone else.

3. I'll leave this one to someone else.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 09:03 PM

Any tabac or souvenir shop carries maps with all the bus numbers and routes on them (I am presently trying to figure out where mine is here at home?). I always take public transportation in Rome if I can and going from Argentina is quite easy.Most of the major numbers go by Argentina to Termini and then up to Piazza Barberini (at the bottom of the hill!). I have yet to find a bus number that stops at the top by Ludovisi and the via Veneto before turning (corner where the American embassy is)so if you have several people I would probably just catch a taxi. The price would be "approxiately" about 8-11 euros from Argentina to the Borghese area.The taxi stand is at Argentina by the "cat sanctuary and ruins area"(that side) and the great bookstore across the street from it.As to the Vatican-what time of the year are you going? The best bet is ALWAYS to go early but if you go in off seasons I have always found that after 9AM is good as you have missed the first wave of tour buses. This summer the lines were brutal everytime we went past the Vatican at 1000-11AM on our way from the airport. I don't fly Rome again till next month but will try and find my map for your bus numbers.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 03:42 AM

For maps, see:
http://www.atac.roma.it/linee/index.asp?i=6&p=1
on the right side under Mappe del trasporto. (The zip files contain PDFs.)

Paul
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Going to be in Rome mid September....and to all, thanks for the help. What on earth do people do who are not on Fodors..