Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Some questions about our Greece itinerary and help much appreciated!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next June, my DH and I will be going for our first time to Greece. Our intinerary is as follows:
1. Fly to Athens staying in unconfirmed hotel for 2 nights
2. Rent car and drive to Nafplio staying in Hotel Leto for 3 nights
3. Return car to Athens and fly to Santorini staying in Rimida Villas in Oia for 4 nights
4. Ferry to Naxos staying in Hotel Galini for 7 nights
5. Ferry to Athens staying likely near airport for flight home the next day.

Questions -
-should we rent a car or bus it to Nafplio and rent a car there for a day or two?
-we have all day to get from Naxos to Athens so is the ferry a good idea or should we fly?
-anyone have any experience with Rimildi Villas?
-is three nights too many in Nafpoli?
-any recommendations for Athens hotel, considering Attolo or Art Hotels.
Thanks everyone!
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

anyone?
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:21 PM

Hi,

I can not help with a lot, but 3 nights in Nafplio is fine. There are a lot of antiquities to see around this area. Also there are some charming towns along the coast. I would fly back to Athens, because the airport hotel is right there. Maybe you can get the last flight off of Naxos. If you take the ferry to Athens, it is a long ride, which I rather like, but then you arrive in Piraeus and you need to get to the airport, which is a pain. We stayed at the Esperas in Santorini and loved it. I do not know about the Rimida Villas.
Your trip sounds wonderful.

Enjoy, Yipper
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:50 PM

Lily, I am planning a trip to Greece in April. What I have learned is that Napflio is a good spot to base yourself for a few days (in the historic old town area). You may easily visit Epidavrous and Poros Island (car ferry every 30 minutes, taxi boat more frequent). In Galatas (the jumping off sight for Poros) you may want to visit the lemon grove (name?). You will easily fill three days in the Napflio area. What an exciting trip!
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We spent four days in Napflion and could have stayed longer. There are many antiquities nearby and the small seaside city is beautiful and nice to spend time in. We also took a day trip to Spetses island from there.It is an easy 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive to Napflion from the Athens airport on well marked highways.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 04:01 PM

The consideration of car vs. bus is -- you don't want to try to drive out of Central Athens.

Many of my friends don't do Athens first, but instead rent a car at Airport and drive directly to Nafplio, on the big highway that bypasses athens. Then you can return car to airport and get immediately on your plane to Santorini.

However, you already have bookings in Nafplio & Santorini that require you to do Athens first.Some options:

CAR from ATHENS -- rent one in Athens if you can pick it up at an office RIGHT where the main highway leaves Athens. (this is Athinon Street/Ave: see map at this link):

When you rent the car, make this a Requirement; don't let them deliver the car to your hotel in Plaka.Make the car agency show you exactly whre to get on the highway. Then you can return it to same place, and catch the closest Metro station to the airport.

BUS -- In my 4 Nafplio visits, I've always taken the bus from terminal A. THe intercity busses are "tour-type" comfortable seats,all reserved and A/c. They go hourly on the half-hr and take 2.5 hours, costs 11E one way. BUsses back start at 6 am; when u get to the bus station, there's an express bus X93 direct to airport, every 35 minutes-- takes abt 60 mins.

CAR in NAFPLIO-- cheaper than at the airport that's for sure, and easy to rent on the spot if you drive stick shift. If not, I suggest you ask dear Mr. Tzanetos of Leto if he could pretty please see which agency has automatic cars available. Tell him Janet of Philadephia said he would. .

NAXOS FERRY Vs PLANE -- I think there is only one Olympic flight per day?
THe best ferry is Blue Star 9:45 arriving 3 pm. A long ride but relaxing IF you pay a couple Euros extra for a LOUNGE economy seat (you then can sit outside all you want and when you want to doze indoors, you have a comfortable lean-back reserved seat to do it in).

FINAL-NIGHT STRATEGY:
There is a bus directly to the airport from the ferry. However, the only available hotel (Sofitel) costs about 300 Euros/double per night (!). Hiway robbery. You could have a comfy hotel in Plaka for half that or less, and have a taxi reserved for 4 am or so at 60Euro, and still be ahead of the game....and you'd have a last dinner in a lovely open-air taverna in Plaka, instead of stupid airport.
Just my preference.

PS: call him Mr X... but not DH, i think that is so twee. I am on a campaign to stamp out the Fodor "D" business, hehehe.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 04:21 PM

OOOps, I forgot to give the link to the great map that shows the main roads out of Athens. click on
http://www.greece4real.com/greece4.html

and then click on "Wide Area Map" and a lovely detailed color map willdownload to your desktop. Athinon St. to the left leads to the road to the Peloponnese. Show it to your Athens hotel clerk & confirm this -- and rent a car at an office near there.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 04:23 PM

travelerjan: while the Sofitel is definitely on the pricey side, it's 195 euros for a double, not quite 300. (In May, anyway, the price might go up in June.)

I rationalized it by figuring we'll be saving on taxi fare in the morning, and we'll sleep easier knowing that we won't have to worry about a traffic jam making us late. (But of course we'll have dinner in the city - not the airport! Blech.)
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, especially Travelerjan, for this excellent information. Exactly what i was looking for and couldn't find elsewhere.