Some Helpful Hints for Posters

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to admit, I hate looking at a thread title and not knowing what it is about. I also hate opening one and thinking 'what the hell is this person doing.'

So, I thought I would provide some honest help for people to get the most out of these boards. I doubt it will stick around long so enjoy it while you can.

1. USE MIXED CASE. Not all caps regardless of what you prefer. If you use all caps, you will always, 100% of the time get flamed. It's not polite, it's not acceptable and it's not a matter of personal preference.

2. Give a clue. What I mean is use a title that is telling. You'll attract people that can help you or respond and allow others to get on with their lives. When you start a new thread, you get to pick a country or region but threads are obviously not sorted that way. An example: if you want driving directions from the Rome airport to Via Veneto don't title your message "Driving Directions"; instead at least use something like "Rome: Driving Directions." Get it? It helps us all out and will improve the change that you will get help.

3. Tell us more. Tell us what you have done thus far in terms of research. What books have you read, what websites have you used. That will let us give you information that you haven't tried yet and, frankly, reduce the chance you get flamed for wanting a fish instead of learning how to fish.

4. Tell us more, again. Tell us what you like, what you're interested in and what you don't like when you're asking for suggestions on eating or site seeing. Give us budget constraints or special occasion information.

5. Teach yourself something. Don't just come here and expect everyone to do your work for you. Google is a great tool that will answer much of the preliminary questions asked. I've done it myself, but now I know better than to come here and ask for the train schedule between Rome and Venice...I now search and pick my moments more carefully on this board.

6. Give back. Once you're taken, tried everyone's patience, and let everyone here plan your trip come back and give us a trip report or some helpful information that will aid the next person in planning.

That's it for me.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 06:06 PM

I have one more to add.

Take suggestions like those above in the spirit they were meant -- which is to help you get the most out of this travel forum. Don't take helpful comments on improving your post as insults or attacks on your "newness".
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 06:14 PM

Nice job, mdtravel. It is a bit annoying to see posts that offer no idea of what the person really wants. Annoying because I think most of us really do want to help each other out, yet it is made more difficult without a reasonable idea of what the post is for.

If I may elaborate on your comments regarding budget restraints, it truly is helpful if an inquirer says hotels "in the $80 - $100 range" instead of "reasonable." We all have different tolerances for what we wish to pay, not to mention incomes, and strangers don't know what "reasonable" means.

Finally, I know I made my rookie mistakes, and I've learned from not only my own but have had the benefit of learning from others.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would also help if you indicate your foreign language abilities, if that will affect how you will deal with the place you are going.

Old Oct 10th, 2004, 07:05 PM

HI--not sure if you are a doc who travels or a person from Maryland who travels but either way your suggestions are "just what the doctor ordered". However, even in my relatively short time of participating here, ~7 months, I know that your good advice will not be heeded.

I used to open vague posts and now I am just too "jaded" to even want to!! If someone cannot think out some rudimentary info to put in their post, I just no longer have enough patience to bother investigating further. I think it is really nice of you to spell out some basics--I tried myself once--and it did not make a bit of difference.

The very first time I posted, we had pored over guide books and then stumbled on this site. We could not decide if we should go to Rouen or Strasbourg after Paris. I titled the thread "Rouen or Strasbourg". Anyone opening it has some idea of what the topic is. But when I see things like "critique this itinerary" I have no idea if I am interested--and more to the point--if I am qualified to help at all and so I disregard those posts.

It does not seem to be so much an issue of being new to the board as it does to just employing common sense!! Would you say to a toll booth operator on the turnpike, "I need directions" and then wait for him/her to coax the request out of you? Sorry if I sound cranky, but it seems to be gettting worse and worse lately on this board. Too many hopelessly vague queries!!
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 12:28 AM

Sorry, but apparently a lot of people don't share your difficulty with "looking at a thread title and not knowing what it is about."

The perfect example is the recent one entitled "g." Lots of people opened it and responded.

I'm sure your own post was well-intentioned but if you haven't yet figured out that getting "the most" out of these boards varies widely among individuals then you may be the newbie here.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

TopMan, just was bored watching football and tired of reading posts like 'room with a view' and 'critique my itinerary.' If it helps me feel better, then mission accomplished!

I'm neither a doctor nor someone from Maryland...just my initials + travel and it corresponds with an email address that I have setup strictly to receive travel related emails from airlines, hotels and the like.

Again, I wasn't trying to flame anyone. Rather, your odds of getting the answers you want go up if you help us help you.

I'm going to bump this thread periodically...until I get tired of doing so at least.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 03:34 AM
ira

Good Post, MD.

>6. Give back. Once you're taken, tried everyone's patience, and let everyone here plan your trip come back and give us a trip report or some helpful information that will aid the next person in planning.<

Or at least post a "Thank You".
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 06:13 AM

Socialworker -

I love the toll booth analogy. Recognize that most people who don;t provide info do it out of confusion or througtlessness - but some have admitted that did it deliberately (to ty to get the most useless answers???).

Really, most of us are here to try to provide info/help (even if sometimes with a little sarcasm) not provide amusement for the merely irritating.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 07:02 AM

This thread should be required reading.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 07:11 AM

I'll never, ever be able to understand why a few people object to the friendly suggestions of how to make posts better. Why in the world would they think it is somehow BETTER for all the other people to just ignore poorly posted questions than to help the posters post better questions to begin with? What is it about people that makes them fight any type of improvement?
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 07:47 AM

I don't usually care how many "clueless" questons are asked or are asked more than once, but the response of some newer posters can get me riled...when someone in REAL LIFE is helpful, is it not the thing to do to say THANK YOU? and would you ever rely RUDELY or in an INSULTING way? Then why respond here in that manner?
I have seen so many regular posters answer the same question over and over, and sometimes someone comes back with the snappiest rude reply.
That will never get you anywhere.
Be Nice.
( and leave out the trauma you went through in high school when compaining about the posters here, no one cares)
LOL Scarlett
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Hey Scarlett--you *really* piqued my curiosity re: high school traumas. Did I miss something somewhere?? Clue me in!!
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 09:38 AM
ira

How many posts could a poster post if a poster posted good posts?
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 09:40 AM

Isn't this supposed to be a web site for casual information exchanges? There are no life or death decisions made here the worse that can happen is you might have your second choice for a hotel room.

If you don't feel the fun of casually helping out a fellow traveler go do something else on the computer. I think some of you take this way too seriously.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 04:27 PM

Until I read your post I had no idea that one could get "flamed" on a message board. Guess I don't get out (or on) much. Some of us are here for a specific agenda; when we're finished, we'll be gone and out of your hair. Perhaps there should be a board for people who simply love to travel and talk about it, in addition to one of shared advice/experience?

And I very much appreciate the gracious answers to my fumbling questions.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 08:42 PM

kswl, as far as I can tell, your post topics & questions are always very clear - I doubt anyone here would flame you. You keep asking questions and we'll try to help!
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

I don't think I said these were life and death decisions, nor did I imply this to be anything other than casual information exchange.

To quote myself:
"So, I thought I would provide some honest help for people to get the most out of these boards. I doubt it will stick around long so enjoy it while you can."

If you'd like to avoid some of them, that's fine but don't expect everyone to read your posts.

Here is todays' list from the top 50 that are a bit to ambiguous:

"Cell phone rental"
"Prague" - ok, this one has provided a hint
"cell phone rental" - different posts
"International cell phones"
"international cell phone rentals" - I see a pattern emerging
"rent a cell phone"
"scam alert!"
"helpful hints"

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 09:31 AM
rex

<<If you don't feel the fun of casually helping out a fellow traveler go do something else on the computer. I think some of you take this way too seriously.>>

My opinion - - and nothing more than that, so don't take this is some big "pronouncement" from me, or fellow Fodorites, "on high"...

I do take this website seriously, and while I used to be sheepish about it, it's an obvious and simple fact, so I am okay with acknowledging it now. This is my number one hobby - - and yes, I have a life, and it is full of other hobbies (and some work).

And "poor quality" posting does hurt the overall experience for everyone (okay so, perhaps only in a small way) - - by driving up the "frustration level", and conversely, driving down the "enjoyment level".

If it was just an issue to "us regulars", then a reasonable reply might be "geez, can't you just grin and bear it? it's not that big a deal"

But to the extent that it discourages "newbies" from coming back, or participating vigorously, it is a big deal. Newbies are the lifeblood of the forum; without them, this forum would be sharply reduced to a bunch of old farts sitting around rehashing previous experiences with each other, or talking about upcoming trips with increasing snobbiness, or arcane interests in more and more subtleties of Europe travel.

We need "fresh virgins" (and not so virgins) constantly joining in here to keep it all alive, current and infused (some) with the wonder, the awe - - and yes, the stupid questions - - that come with "joining" our "community" here.

Badly posted questions or inadequate message headers or any other "mis-etiquette" breeds hostile answers, or smart alecky answers (yes, I have provided my share of those) and generally, a less friendly and welcoming place to come back to...

What we need is gentle ways to help newbies post better, and diplomacy when even veterans (sometimes in their enthusiasm, either pre-trip, or post-trip) do an awkward job of posting.

It's an important way of making sure that the "Welcome wagon" really does say "Welcome" here.

Best wishes,

Rex Bickers
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 09:45 AM

Yes, I see your point, Rex. It is better all around for someone - especially a newby like myself - to post sensible titles.

It just looked like so many of you were getting their blood boiling that I wrote "don't take it that seriously" and I say that to you too. It is not worth getting a stroke over but I seem to think that anger with vague posters comes from another underlying cause.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -