solo traveller in London

Feb 26th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

solo traveller in London

I am looking for another person/s to hook up with for a few activites such as theater, meals and day trips out of London. I am very active and independent but would enjoy occassional friendly companionship. Any ideas? My husband hates to travel!!
Feb 26th, 2004, 01:46 PM

Why don't you take a friend or sibling on the trip?
Feb 26th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Well maybe I need new friends, but one I was going with has to have surgery and the other one has to repair her bathroom!!I have a nonrefunable ticket on BA so will be going and am looking for all options. I have experienced travel before as a solo and it can be fine but I think for the weeks I will be there I would like some company.
Feb 26th, 2004, 03:13 PM

I would suggest posting the dates you are considering
I travel solo a lot and like it. My friends have all married and have kids and while they can go away for short weekends, long Europe trips are difficult.(And the whole idea of traveling with my brother is terrifing!)
Feb 26th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Good idea! I will be in London on April 14th for about 10 days and am staying in Bloomsbury ( near the British Museum). I hope to find some friendly folks who might like to join me for theater, museums, occasional meal, or day trips out of London. I have been to London 4 times and know my way around fairly well and would call myself a "seasoned" traveller. I live in the Seattle area and will be flying BA.
Feb 26th, 2004, 08:47 PM

Amanita, you might consider staying at a hostel to help meet fellow travelers. There are probably other options which are pretty sociable too (I think someone mentioned the YMCA). Or maybe university student accommodation if available. You probably prefer something more upscale, but for meeting people these places work quite well, and you could always choose a private room.
Feb 27th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks WillTravel. Perhaps I will for another solo trip. I do have reservations at a smallish B+B for this one (St. Margaret's) Does anyone know of something like Jens Jurgen's Travel Companion Exchange? They are currently closed down due to a family medical problem. There must be others???
Feb 27th, 2004, 06:34 AM

Amanita, London is one of the great places to go to as a solo traveler. I would recommend taking some of the London Walks tours. That's a good way to connect with other people and make plans to meet for dinner or lunch.
Feb 27th, 2004, 06:53 AM

I was also going to suggest the London Walks tours. They do day trips outside of London as well as their normal walks. I think this would be a great way to meet new friends.
Feb 27th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Amanita,
I arrive in London about noon on Monday, April 19 and leave on Thursday the 22nd. I have been to London many times, but not for several years. This is my first solo trip there. I live in Dallas. I am staying in the St James area. I would love to meet you for dinner one evening.
Judy Coffman
Feb 27th, 2004, 09:53 AM

Hi Amanita,
My husband and I will be in London the same time as you for our last few days. We plan on taking some night time walking tours and would be very happy to meet up with you. We've done some of the walks before and found them to be great fun. I'm not sure exactly what we are going to do with those few days, we go home (South Africa) 19th April, but if you mail me, we can keep in touch and maybe meet up. [email protected]

ANYONE ELSE WANT TO MEET UP?
Feb 27th, 2004, 10:47 AM

Amanita:

I went to London by myself years ago.

I agree with some in that London is ideal for solo travel.

Amongst other things, I spent hours at Harrod's and would have not wanted to put anyone through that because they were trying to be compatible and agreeable...hours...

You seem to be outgoing so even if you do not make a solid connection before you go I am sure folks will gravitate toward you once you arrive.

IDEA: Transitions Abroad : Women's Travel Clubs provides a number of web-sites that feature travel for women singles, solo's and so forth.

Go to your search engine and type in women travel clubs/groups and explore...
Plenty of these folks can provide you with specific opportunities with other solo women travellers while you are in London.

Good Luck and Happy Planning,
Oaktown Traveler
Feb 27th, 2004, 10:52 AM

I forgot...

Please keep your B&B all Hostels are not created equal and B&B's are so special and nice for us girls...

Oaktown Traveler
Feb 28th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

To Judy Coffman--Thanks for the reply. If you get your place in ST. James nailed down for the April dates,I would love to have dinner with you after your arrival. I will be at the ST. Margaret's B+B in Bloomsbury ( phone is 20+7636+4277) arriving Wed.,April 14th and can you believe, my name is Judy Hatch. Happpy Trails.
Feb 28th, 2004, 02:07 PM

Judy,
I will be staying at The Stafford. All the info (address, phone #) are at the office. I will post on Monday.
Have a great time and look forward to meeting you.
Judy Coffman
Feb 28th, 2004, 02:42 PM

I, too, will be in London April 14 thru April 23. I am flying in on BA 4/13 arriving late that evening. I would be happy to join you for day trips, museums,day activities. I will be staying at my daughter's home in St. John's Wood which is convenient by tube almost anywhere in London. I have done walks and daytrips with London Walks and think they are excellent for someone traveling alone. I do not know my schedule with family activites yet, but I will call you at your hotel when I find out my "free time". I love London and find lots to do.
Feb 28th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful, Elainee. I look forward to connecting up with you. Judy (actually Judith Hatch).
Feb 28th, 2004, 07:48 PM

Amanita,
What is a room worth if it doesn't have at least 2 Judys in it?
Elainee, would you be intersted in joining "Amanita" and me for dinner? I arrive on the 19th from Paris and leave on the 22nd.
How fun to have new people to meet in London.
Amanita (Judy), I will post my hotel info on Monday. (I will try to find this thread and add it on.)
Isn't it fun to plan our trips?
Feb 29th, 2004, 05:41 AM

Would love to but..going to London to see darling grandaughters and super-busy daughter (and son-in-law). Need to work my plans with theirs, but usually have time for my own activities. Let me know when you are planning Judys dinner.
Mar 1st, 2004, 09:42 AM

Amanita/Judy, the phone number for The Stafford is 20+7493+0111. This is my first time staying there so I don't know what restaurants are in that area. Perhaps you have a favorite. We can pick a day and time and meet. I look forward to it.
Judy C