First trip on my own!!!

Search

First trip on my own!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First trip on my own!!!

I've travelled a fair amount, and have posted about a number of trips on here... but I've always travelled with someone else (usually husband).

At the end of the month I will go on a solo trip to London. Not the most adventurous choice, since I've been several times, but it's far enough from home and different enough that I'll really feel like I've travelled somewhere and since I know the city reasonably well I won't get lost or feel totally overwhelmed.

Now to many of you seasoned solo travellers I'm sure I sound like a baby! But for me it's kind of a big deal and I'm a bit uptight about it.

There's lots in London to keep me occupied as far as shopping, museums, etc., and I'll get up my courage to dine alone in the evenings. What I wonder about is going into pubs - usually my favourite thing for people-watching (and getting tipsy too I'll admit).

I'm just a bit concerned being on my own. I'm not the most social person and so striking up conversations with people is daunting. Plus in most of the pubs I've been in up to now, there isn't a lot of that going on anyway, and certainly not with a hip-looking and not quite middle-aged Canadian woman who isn't looking to get picked up at all.

Any hints or suggestions? I'll be staying in S. Ken.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi taggie - you might want to come visit with us solo travelers on the Solo Traveler board here. I tend to spend my evenings in restaurants rather than pubs, or pubs that specialize in food, so can't help much with your specific question.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Oh - thanks for the suggestion thursdaysd. I'ts been about a year since I last checked in here so I didn't even realize there was a solo board!
And I also realized I committed a cardinal sin and didn't put the city in my post title... or even give a very good descriptive title saying what I was asking for help with! I'm very rusty.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 05:00 PM

taggie:

You might spend at least one evening on a London Walks pub tour. We did the Aristocratic London pub walk and it was a lot of fun.

Another thing I love to do in London is go to the movies. I saw movies that never played my hometown and we saw Secrets and Lies in the same movie house that is featured in the movie. That was fun.

Also, since many Fodorites travel to London, maybe an evening gtg in a pub is possible.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 05:04 PM

I'd look for reasonably priced plays or theatre packages or concerts, and attend a production every night.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 05:35 PM

The TripAdvisor London Forum is a good resource; they often plan evening/dinner get-togethers. adamhornets is the resident expert there.

And another vote for something from www.walks.com in the evening, or any time really.

Sounds like a good trip, have fun.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 12:59 AM

There are loads of activities in London great for single people - so just look in Time Out and take your pick. For example, a night in a Salsa club would be perfect - most start with a lesson and have a beginner's session and one of the main points with Salsa is that you don't need to go with a partner - everybody swaps around. It would be a fun couple of hours and I'm sure you could break the ice with your fellow beginners.

You'll also find lots of lectures/educational evenings going on, special events in museums/galleries etc.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 01:49 AM

You'll be staying in a good area to get out & about in the evenings. Don't sweat it. You'll have a great time. Don't forget to do a trip report when you return.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 01:56 AM

Doesn't Southwest Airlines make overlarge people buy 2 seats?
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 07:59 AM
kja

Hi, taggie -

If you want to go to a pub and don't particularly want to interact with others, that's also an option. Bring a book or a journal or some post cards and make yourself comfortable!

Hope that helps. . . .