Reload this Page >

Just back from London

Search

Just back from London

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:04 AM
Jeanette

Just back from London

For the record (and I thank all of you for your suggestions of many of these places): <BR> <BR>North Sea Fish & Chips, Bloomsbury - worth seeking out. Excellent value restaurant using fresh fish and a good choice of types of fish. The haddock was especially good. Much nicer than most REAL fish & chips 'shops' as this is truly a restaurant. <BR> <BR>Denise's - French on Southampton Row in Bloomsbury. Lovely. A great value, good wine list, nice atmosphere. What more can I say. <BR> <BR>Ciao Bella - Italian on Lamb's Conduit, Bloomsbury. Enjoyed it so much we went back twice. Real pizza, like in Italy (and yes, I've had real Italian pizza). Good pasta, too. The rack of lamb was outstanding and by American standards, truly a bargain. <BR> <BR>Cigala - Spanish on Lamb's Conduit in Bloomsbury - the food was really very nice, and the prices okay. But the room is loud, the place is terribly busy (as it is popular and 'hot' right now). At 44 and 55, respectively, I and my husband were considerably older than the rest of the crowd. Extensive, excellent wine list, but no real values here. Wonderful service, but remember that they automatically add 12.5% to the bill. <BR> <BR>Harlingford Hotel in Bloomsbury - very, very nice for this price range. Rooms larger than most of this type, bathrooms the standard closet size, but manageable. Breakfast better than most as they have an addition of a buffet of fruit, yogurt and cereal. Many children. The people that run this place make a real effort to make you comfortable. Very nice lounge with fireplace. Easy three block walk to the tube. Single women would be very comfortable here, I'm sure. Internet services available on site, but no hairdryers.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:27 AM
Mia

Thanks for all the restaurant suggestions, as I will be staying in Bloomsbury in May. How did you like the area overall? I figured it would be relatively safe and busy for a solo female traveler since the University of London is there. <BR> <BR>What was your favorite site or walk?

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:38 AM
Judy

Hi Jeanette, Nice post and I agree with you about Denise's. I wish we had known about Ciao Bella, it sounds wonderful. <BR>Mia: I do like the Bloomsbury area, even though at times I felt like everyone's mother(errr sister, yes, that's the ticket). Bloomsbury is a very young and vibrant area IMO. <BR>You will be fine there. <BR>Judy

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:39 AM
Jeanette

While I was not a solo traveler on this trip, I have stayed in this area as a solo woman on previous trips. I think it's a GREAT area for solo women. The nearby University does make it comfortable. I don't think you'll find it unsafe when walking, nor uncomfortable -- even in the pubs if you are alone. Go to the nicer ones (we liked the Norfolk and they Lamb). Many solo diners in North Sea and Ciao Bella. Where are you staying?

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 10:04 AM
Lidija

Thanks Jeanette for the post. Going in May and will search these places out. <BR> <BR>I'm staying at the Ridgemount on Gower Street, so I think more towards the British Musuem than where the Harlingford is but I was wondering if you noticed any grocery stores where one can pick up cheap picnic lunch items? <BR> <BR>thanks

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 10:37 AM
Ben Haines

For Lidija <BR> <BR>Near Gower Street there are four academic eating places, open in May and to the public, that I use a fair amount. First, a list just for Monday to Friday lunch. On Gower Street itself in the central building of University College London, straight under the dome, the restaurant with waiter service. Good dishes at six or seven punds: wine a pound and fifty pence. Much the same price for the restaurant with waiter service in the basement at the School of Oriental and African Studies. But for three or four pounds a dish you might join the students in their canteen, also in the basement. Since they come from across the world the choice always includes something unexpected, and something spicey. You feel like nobody's mother, since students there come all ages. Just off Gower Street, at the end of Store Street, stands the monumental Senate Hiouse, and MacMillan's on the ground floor there is a better than average self service place, with prices above those for S O A S students and below University College. <BR> <BR>Then Monday to Friday evenings until seven thirty only there's a small self-service restaurant up on the fifth floor of Birkbeck College, ten minutes from Gower Street, on Malet Street. Prices are down at S O A S student levels, and wine is 1.50 a glass. <BR> <BR>If you go any time north to the top of Gower Street, use the underground station to reach the north side of the huge Euston Road, and walk on a hundred yards to the Euston Square Hotel you can turn right into Drummond Street, where you'll find decent Indian food at ten pounds a meal, including lager. <BR> <BR>I haven't shopped there for ages, but I'm pretty sure there's still a large grocer's shop on Goodge Street, fifty yards from Tottenham Court Road, so ten minutes from Gower Street. <BR> <BR>I was glad to see two recommendations on Lambs Cinduit Street, and mention of the Lamb pub, as I have been telling people that this is an interesting road. <BR> <BR>What a useful correspondence Jeanette started. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. I have on disc a note on cheap meals around London -- any use ? <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 11:00 AM
joe

We've stayed at the Ridgemount several times. Ben is correct, across Totenham Court Rd. on the streets behind the Goodge St. station are many stores and restaurants, including a nice supermarket. <BR>PS. Does anyone have an address for North Sea Fish and Chips ?

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 11:14 AM
Lidija

Joe <BR> <BR>thanks for reassuring me that the Ridgemount is an okay choice <BR> <BR>North Sea is at 7-8 Leigh Street <BR>Telephone #7387-5892

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Jeanette

ttt for Cartwright Circle question

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Carolyn

Hi There - My husband & I are planning on staying at the Langland Hotel on Gower Street. Is this near any of the place mentioned in this thread? I thought that this would be a safe & quiet area near enough to get around London (This will be our 1st time in GB) - Any opinions out there?

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 07:07 AM
andrew

For Carolyn - Gower Street is in this area and is the street where University College London is situated. It is brilliantly convenient for Central London and in particular the British Museum and Oxford Street shopping. <BR><BR>However I do warn you that you will not get total peace and quiet on Gower Street itself. It is a busy two lane road. If you get a chance ask for a non-street facing room<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip to London<BR>Andrew

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Carolyn

Thanks Andrew - I am planning this trip with alot of help from travel books - internet & forums like this. I have contacted the hotel to check on the noise level for the rooms (our price range is budget level) - the room will have to be on the Gower St. side, but they are going to place us on the top floor to bypass some noise (oh well, it is earplug time!) Thanks for your help.