Soglio to St. Moritz

Search

Soglio to St. Moritz

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soglio to St. Moritz

Hi all. We're planning on visiting Soglio on a day trip from Varenna/Lake Como.

We're really not interested in seeing St. Mortiz, but I'm wondering if there is anything noteworthy b/w Soglio and St. Moritz. We have time to travel a bit further; my guidebooks dont' seem to have a lot of detail about this in between area.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 09:41 AM

There's plenty to see between Soglio and St. Moritz.

If you're into art - there's a small museum in Stampa about the Giacomettis and their graves are at Borgonovo's cemetery, just a few miles farther up the valley. Then there's the Giovanni Segantini atelier/house in Maloja and his grave on the cemetery. St. Moritz, btw, has a collection of his works in the museum of the same name.

The Maloja pass is fun to drive and scenic. The scenery between Maloja and St. Moritz is very beautiful with the lakes and (partially) snow capped mountains above.

Sils is a quaint village, has the Nietzsche museum if you're interested. Or do a horse-drawn carriage ride into the Fex Valley, one of my favourites. The chapel in Fex-Cresta has medieval frescos that are worth to see (the whole valley with farmhouses, a few hotels and restaurants is fantastic and worth to explore).

There's also a cable car in Sils that goes up to Furtschellas - great views. Even better views from a place called Marmore, less than an hour to hike from the top station.

From (Silvaplana-)Surlej another cable car goes up to Corvatsch. You can step on the glacier, I think they even have an ice cave there since last year. Stunning views also.

Need more?

;-)

Ingo
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 10:17 AM

There's a wonderful hike into Soglio, but it's a 5 hour venture and you might not want to do that. Still, you could do part of the Sentier from Soglio and turn around after some time. I HIGHLY recommend a lunch under the elms at the Hotel Palazza Solis (sp?) I'm in France right now, away from my notes. Soglio is a magic place, but I would have died if we'd driven it. I highly suggest taking a post bus into the village. You can relax and watch the amazing scenery. St Moritz is not a place I'd spend time, but taking the lift at Pontresina up to Muottas Muragl is a BLAST! The hike is beautiful and you can take the chair lift down. Even without the hike, you can take the cable car up and enjoy the incredible view over St Moritz and the neighboring territory.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Wow, Ingo, thanks! You should write guidebooks!

And, please tell me about the post bus. Where would we access this?

And why is the road scary? Narrow, steep drop-offs?

Thanks.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 01:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree. Great info, Ingo!

Bookmarking for me.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 01:44 PM

>And, please tell me about the post bus. Where would we access this?

Post buses are local buses that serve any small village. Usually the central stop in the village is the post office.

>And why is the road scary? Narrow, steep drop-offs?

This, hairpin bends and the fact that post buses have a right of way, always.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 01:51 PM

And postbuses are made by Mercedes! You could take it from St Moritz or another village en route. Go to the Swiss travel router
http://www.sbb.ch/en/

In our last 3 trips to Switzerland, we've never driven but always relied on their amazing transportation system. It's one of a kind, trust me!
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 05:13 AM

The road is definitely narrow with hairpins but my Mom survived it (as pax) with minimal hyper-ventilating and no nail marks on the upholstery and that says a lot. I didn't think it was that bad.

The Maloja pass was GREAT! That's worth the ride right there.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, flygirl, I appreciate your info. I suspect we will driving it as well. My hsuband's not going to want to wait for a bus when we have a car. He's driven Cinnamon Pass and some other 4wd trails in the mountains in Colorado and Utah, so at least he has some experience with these types of roads.

But, thank you, all, for your insights. I appreciate it.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 01:19 AM

The reason why to go to Soglio by Postbus is that there are very few parking spots available and these fill up quickly in the morning. The town is almost car-free. Thus I recommend to park the car in Promontogno and take the Postbus from there (in front of Hotel Bregaglia). Granted, parking in Promontogno isn't easy either
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 08:50 AM

The hike up from Promontogno is lovely as well! Go the back way through the chestnut groves.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Ingo, that's really good to know, I notated that on my travel notes. Thanks so much for all your info - it is greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 03:20 PM

No matter how you do it, just don't miss Soglio!
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi all. Soglio was a wonderful stop - I'm so glad we went.

The views of the mountains were wonderful, and we had a very nice lunch in a shaded garden of a historic hotel while there.

I didn't think the ride up was bad. Yes, it was very twisty and my husband pointed out the wooden guardrail would not stop us (he didn't have to point that out, lol). I think driving some 4wd trails in Colorado, and up to the top of Mt. Evans, has re-defined for me what a scary road is.

We drove up around 11am and there were a few parking spots left.

On the way from Varenna, we passed one of the most pretty waterfalls I've ever seen. We were able to walk all the way up to the base - you could really feel the force (and the cold) from the force of the water.

It was such an amazing sight, and I didn't see it notated on our map - nor did I read about it in any of my guidebooks.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 09:52 AM

I'm glad you had lunch there (was it their pasta?)
and experienced Soglio. Are you writing a trip report?
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

I will write a trip report.

My lunch was a very good crepe (spinach and mushroom with cheese). I think it was the first lunch my sons didn't have pizza They ate a LOT of pizza in Italy!