So much to see so little time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be leaving in two weeks for Amsterdam, for three days two in Brussels and off to Berlin for three days and two in Hamburg. So much good advice from fodorites. HSV, DAX and all the rest. Any final thoughts to make the most of my holiday?
Thank you all so much,
Mike
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

TTT
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 02:44 PM

No advice, just wanted to say have a great time!
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 05:46 PM

We enjoyed a little stand up pub called the Wynand Fockink (yes that's what it's really called) for a friendly drink. It's just off the Dam Square along the right side of Hotel Krasnaplosky. They brew their own fruit brandy and it's lovely. Ask for a Walk in the Forest.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Lily, Thanks for the tip.
Forgot to mention two nights in Brussels, including a
day trip to Brugge.
Also wanted to thank Btike and PalQ for your help.
Mike
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 05:39 PM
DAX

BRUSSELS is a nice city to visit, but for my wife & I, it is an adventure in dining at great French(Belgian) restaurants for half the price of those in Paris. We typically make a list of which ones to go before we get there so that we don't get sidetracked.

A definite must do in Brussels is to eat Belgian mussels which taste so much better & meatier than anywhere else. It's best consumed with Belgian beers especially the trappist kinds. Being Catholics and Belgian beer lovers, we've made a pilgrimage to several of the famous abbeys where they make the trappist beers in Belgium.

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:40 AM
hsv

Have a great trip - and make sure to check in here again. If I should have any more suggestions, I shall inform you here (BTW which hotel is it now - the Ambassador or the the Dorint?).
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

HSV,
It is the Dorint, Any other tips would be helpfull as always.
Thanks
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:28 AM

We just returned from visiting Berlin and Amsterdam.

In Berlin, on Alte Potsdamer Strasse (near Potsdamer Platz), there's a restaurant called G1 Siegler Imbiss. They have a fish counter where you can pick your fillet and they'll cook it for you. Had fantastic Bratkartoffeln with it (sauteed potatoes with onions and bacon). <i>Very</i> reasonably priced.

In Amsterdam, we ate very well. I can recommend:
<b>Thai</b> - Rakang, Elandsgracht 29
Had a tasting menu and the best Tom Kha soup ever. Everything was absolutely delicious and the service was great.

<b>Indonesian</b> - Srikandi, Stadhouderskade 31
Had the Rijstaffel. It was 36 Euros per person and included appetizers, soup and 12 different main courses (curries, sates, salads) and 2 types of rice. Nice view of the canal and good service.

<b>Genever tasting</b> - De Admiraal, Herengracht 319
A very cozy pub where you can taste traditional Dutch gin and gin-based liqueurs (60 flavours). They offer a tsating of 4 gins for 7,95 (we had this twice ). If the weather's nice, you can site at a table by the canal. Owner is very knowledgeable and provides great service.

There are tons of cafes and restaurants in Amsterdam where you can sit for a coffee or a beer. We really enjoyed our stay there.

Have a great trip!
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

TTT,
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 10:07 PM
DAX

Hi Mike, I assume that you're leaving this weekend for Amsterdam. Well if you're looking for a good meal in a friendly place with a nice atmosphere, I recommend the continental restaurant called HUMPHREY'S. They serve a nice 3 course dinner for 25 euros where you choose one from the appetizer list, one from the main dish and one from the dessert menu. I ate there twice because of the food quality and the very friendly service. It is located on the Nieuwezijds Voorburgwall right nextdoor to the Golden Tulip Hotel and across the street from Ramada. Have a good trip.