Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

So I have an extra 3 weeks on my trip to spend somewhere....

Jul 22nd, 2003, 11:55 AM
RAR
Original Poster

Thanks to a mess up with Lufthansa, my flight home is now August 26th, instead of August 6th. So lucky me has 20 more days to spend, somewhere, in Europe.

So, excluding Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Switzerland and Germany ... where would you go? I would like to avoid tourist hordes, so that to me eliminates London/Paris/Amsterdam. And I would love to use the joy that is Ryanair, if possible. Not looking for a beach either, by the way.

So, recommend me something Fodor experts! I am havin a hard time deciding.
Jul 22nd, 2003, 11:57 AM
ira

Scandinavia, Finland and Russia.
Jul 22nd, 2003, 11:59 AM

Croatia and Slovenia. (tuck it in between Italy and Austria)
Jul 22nd, 2003, 12:24 PM
RAR
Original Poster

Scandanavia is definitely a thought. I think Croatia will be very crowded in August, with all the vacationing Europeans looking for a nice beach, especially the Italians and Germans.
Jul 22nd, 2003, 02:58 PM

Where are you now?
Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:07 PM
RAR
Original Poster

Cologne!
Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:27 PM

Another vote for the Scandinavian countries. Up through Denmark, ferry to Finland and work your way across to Norway. You can use Ryan Air to fly out of Torp which is south of Oslo.
Jul 23rd, 2003, 03:13 AM

RAR, if you are in Cologne, perhaps you can make your way to the Czech Republic? Once there, you can travel cheaply by train. Get the Karta Zet, and it will save you 40% off all travel within the C.R. It costs between 200-250 crown, and you need to give them a photo.

If you haven't been to Czech Rep, go to Prague, Cesky Krumlov, and Olomouc. Olomouc is good fun, and is a University town, so I think you'd have a blast. Poet's Corner is a good little hostel...very small and intimate. 250 crown a night there, as is Sir Toby's in Prague and Krumlov House in Cesky Krumlov. Email me if you want more info on those. The guy that ran Poet's Corner is a laid back guy who was great for info on the area. However, I think he just started a hostel in Loket, so maybe there's an option for you. There will probably be a lot less tourists in Olomouc than Cesky Krumlov!

Let us know what you pick!
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:42 AM
RAR
Original Poster

Unfortunately due to budget limitations (since this is the end of my trip) I cant go to Norway, instead I am headin off to Slovenia, Hungary, and Poland, via Italy. Lot's to see there and si paga meno!

For now I am relaxing on beautiful Sardinian beaches with my Sardinian gang, life is good! And thanks Mina, I have been to Prague (stayed at Toby's too, great place). I would like to see Krumlov but it is a bit out of reach from the line that I am taking. Any insights into the best of Slovenia, Hungary or Poland?
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:21 PM

RAR, I will ask a friend that I traveled with if he has any info on Poland...I never got there (even though I supposed to). Zakopane and Krakow seems to get the best raves.

In Ljubljana, most budget seekers stay at the hotel park. Do a search on my screenname..there's info on their website, number etc. It isn't dirt cheap though, compared to the hostel prices.

In Lake Bled, there is supposedly a great hostel there, but we didn't get in. Are you going by yourself there, or with a group? We found sobe prices there to be better than the hostel, but with more amenities...I can find the name of the hostel for you if you'd like.

In Lake Bled, take cash with you (although you can charge everywhere). The one ATM in town would not give either my travel companion or me money.

Which book are you traveling with...Lonely Planet or Let's go? (I assume you have one of the two backpacking "bibles").