Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

So I guess you don't care about the 100,000 people who have lost their jobs?

Oct 26th, 2001, 02:23 AM
Guesswho

It's obvious you fodorites only care about yourselves by all your ugly comments. Go ahead, continue to be selfish. Barely anyone addressed my central issue of the lost jobs in America. There wasn't any compassion towards all these people who have lost their jobs recently due to something they had no control over. They weren't lazy workers deserving to be fired but now they are without a job, searching, wondering where to go next. Why care about them, I guess.

Oct 26th, 2001, 03:36 AM
Big

Apparently you have mistaken this TRAVEL forum for a COMPASSION forum. Unless those 100,000 people are using their newfound free time to tour Europe?

Oct 26th, 2001, 04:14 AM
getoffour

This is a TRAVEL forum. I will say, though, that (IMHO) most here are compassionate. We all have our ways of dealing with 9/11 and the effects of that day. I personally donít have to tell you or anyone else how Iím dealing with it, how Iím helping out, etc. So, find yourself another web site to cry on.

Oct 26th, 2001, 04:48 AM
xxx

It's also not an American Forum, although by virtue of the nature of the Internet many/most of the participants are American.

So, sod off, Fanta; this is an international forum dealing with an international issue in a global economy. Keep your narrow nationalism to yourself.

Oct 26th, 2001, 05:26 AM
wrongaddress

Dear Not hard to guess who-! take IT somewhere else-this is a TRAVEL FORUM not a PITY FORUM.

Oct 26th, 2001, 05:38 AM
Lordy

Which whine? Red, white or blue?

This utter rubbish about an "obligation" to travel because that's how you want us to combat terrorism -- it's so hypocritical! If you want to travel, "guess who," go ahead and travel. But don't tell me about people's lost jobs as a reason I should do something non-essential, expensive, and possibly risky.

Sure I care about those here and in Europe who have lost their jobs -- but if you want to look for cause and blame, you'll have to go back before 9/11 to look at a greedy and illogical airlines industry and an overheated economy that created unprecedented but unsupported wealth.

You seem to think the late 1990s were some sort of "norm" of travel activity that we are obliged to keep up. That was a period of heavily subsidized and over-used business travel coupled with an exceptional level of tourism fueled by the "new (technological) economy."

As soon as the technology bubble burst -- when people figured out no one was paying any attention to Web advertising and the market for both soft- and hard-ware was saturated -- jobs created by this bubble were going to be lost.

FYI I'm unemployed right now myself, but it would never occur to me to demand that people start to travel even if they feel unsafe, just to get me a job. It just doesn't work that way and, loyal Fodorite that I am, my priorities just don't run that way.

Oct 26th, 2001, 05:45 AM
George

Think about the lost jobs caused by NAFTA since the mid-1990s. Many more than 100,000 lost jobs. Only these jobs were lost in 20 and 50 and 100 and 500 increments, not in one swoop due to a terrorist attack. In America, both major political parties were for NAFTA. Neither party cares about the jobs lost due to NAFTA or the World Trade Center terrorist attacks. They only care about power and the opulent lifestyle that the pols enjoy in Washington, DC. They're rats!!!

Oct 26th, 2001, 05:59 AM
newyorker

Guesswho, I don't know where you are from, but there has been plenty of compassion shown around here! There are food drives, clothing drives, millions of dollars being donated, funds set up for all of the children who have lost parents...people are volunteering for any manner of ways to help-And who exactly are you to be so judgemental about people that you know nothing about?You have no idea what we have done during these awful times...Show some compassion yourself, spare us your presence.

Oct 26th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Fanta

These pretzals are making me thirsty!

Oct 26th, 2001, 01:05 PM
asdf

What if I fly an American airline to Europe, stay at an American hotel chain, and eat at McDonald's???? I'm supporting American businesses but traveling in Europe.

If I don't fly on the planes, more people will lose their jobs, so it really is a good thing to fly to Europe.

Oct 26th, 2001, 03:22 PM
you're-wasting-my

Please leave this Forum.....baby. No one wants to hear you whine........
You have NO place telling other people what they should do.
Many of us have lost relatives and are grieving and have helped in every possible way that we can.
We don't need some stupid child posting these things on this Forum !!!!!

Oct 26th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Duke

It seems to be that there is a forum for travel and a forum for people that want to help people. Why mix up the two?

Those people that want to help someone should contact the Red Cross or some other agency and go for it. Those people that need travel info should come here. Why change this forum into some liberal forum for people to feel bad because they have money and a job. When I was out of work for 5 months I made it a full time job to find work on my own. No government hand out, no Red Cross, no notheing. I just got off my butt and found a job. Now I can afford to travel and I enjoy that. But mix the two forums? That is stupid. The same people probably voted for Clinton and love Hillary. What a joke!

Oct 26th, 2001, 04:32 PM
Chris

Fanta - why not just keep adding to / responding to the one thread you created? I don't care one hoot that you post your opinions; I can read them or ignore them at my leisure. But when you keep posting new topics (same idea), it tends to flood the 'subject' column, causing other more valid/interesting messages to get pushed down.

I would suggest this is your real intent - to flood the board with multiple messages all proposing your point of view, making it very hard to ignore. This is the 'bulletin board' equivalent to shouting louder than anyone else at a meeting, effectively preventing valid discussion of a topic.

Please show some respect/restraint!

Oct 26th, 2001, 05:14 PM
Pickens

I have been gone for a while, yet when I revisit this site, some of the crack pots are still around.

I know this is futile, but hear goes: Fanta, Guesswho, or what ever your name is, every person on this board supports the American economy every day.

The travel industry would have slowed down anyway due to the recession that was already happening. Plus, thousands of other people in other industries are loosing their jobs and cannot afford to travel.

I plan to travel to Europe next year. I may travel to see family in the US during the upcoming year, but in spite of being "depressed", I have had trouble finding good, discount cross country travel!

One other comment: I have a feeling that Fanta is a frustrated travel industry person who was laid off or about to be laid off. Many years ago, I was laid off during an economic slowdown that affected the industry I was in. But I didn't sit on my behind and whine. I printed up a new resume, and got a new job within two months. Only the strong will survive in travel industry and those people who lost their jobs will get another one, it just will not be in the travel industry. There are jobs out there in education, and the government, and industry for those who are smart and willing to work hard.

Oct 28th, 2001, 06:16 AM

topping

Oct 28th, 2001, 08:51 AM
NYer

Fanta -
So nice to hear you're concerned about my predicament - please send me all your money and credit cards (be sure to up your limits, it's very expensive to live in NYC) Or do you only care about yourself?