Reload this Page >

From airport to Venice via water taxi!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 03:30 PM
Liv

On 7/26 I posted the new message "From airport to Venice via cab?", and I was convinced by Karen, Mariarosa, etc., to hire a private water taxi to carry the 6 of us from Marco Polo to our Hotel Principe on the Grand Canal ("GC") next to the train station. The estimated price would be $80, but well worth it for this entrance into Venice. MY NEW QUESTION: For about $80 would this itinerary from the airport (1) go pass Murano, around the east side of Venice, enter the GC at San Marco, proceed down GC's 1 1/2 mile length to the opposit end stopping at the Hotel Principe, OR (2) would it go the shorter route entering the GC on the west side at the Piazzale Roma & train station. Choice # 1 is far superior for the ride down the GC, but can it be for the suggested $80 price?

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 04:17 PM
zz-top

Liv - <BR> <BR>Arrived in Venice via train, so can't answer your query directly. However from other posters that whatever the route may be, entering Venice by boat is a memorable experience. Heck, just stepping outside of the train station & seeing the Grand Canal before you is what one those "I can't believe I'm here" moments. <BR> <BR>After a long flight, you may be ready to get yourself unpacked & situated at your hotel. And then for only about $3, you can jump on a vaparetto (either no. 82 or no. 1) -- "1" is the slow-pokey stop at all stops route, you can cruise from one end of the Grand Canal to the other.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 08:50 PM
Chris

Hi Liv <BR> <BR>I responded to your earlier post. I figured I'd respond to this one too, just so you wouldn't wonder where all those people with "all that advice" went, now that you are asking more specific questions! <BR> <BR>I can't help you, but I just wanted you to know that I want to! <BR> <BR>Even coming into the GC the short way is spectacular. And just hop on the 82 to get your view of the canal on your way to San Marco. <BR> <BR>I'm sure you can ask, but it will cost more (it's a long trip the other way). And going past Murano isn't that thrilling (wasn't to me, anyway) and you'll probably wind up going for a short trip anyway. <BR> <BR>Hope I helped a little (even if only to make you feel a little less "abandoned" by us advice givers!) <BR> <BR>Chris

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 09:13 PM
Surlok

I completely agree with the poster above. Arriving to Venice by another way than a water taxi, or even vaporetto is a waste! It has a totally different impact, and gives a totally different impression. <BR> <BR>Do it by water taxi, by all means!! <BR> <BR>Surlok <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 01:27 AM
james

The water taxi will only go round the east side of Veniceetc if you request it. However, the journey is much longer and you should expect the charge to be much higher - maybe $120. I'm not sure it's worth doing because you'll be using the water buses all the time up and down the GC.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 04:47 AM
Julie

I've found that they usually take the shorter route. Which is not to say that they wouldn't go the longer route if you asked, just be prepared to pay more. And make sure you've discussed this with the water taxi dispatcher BEFORE loading up so that everyone is in agreement about the price/routing. Your entrance will be just as spectacular either way. Considering how many people are in your party, bags etc., why not enjoy your "water taxi entrance ride" to your hotel then dump the bags and take the local vaporetto down the Grand Canal. It will help get you oriented, be relaxing and far cheaper. Just a thought...I would certainly understand wanting to opt for itinerary #1. And if money is no object, why not? It's your trip...make it your own. You won't regret either choice, I'm sure.

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Topper

ttt