Snow in Montepulciano

Search

Snow in Montepulciano

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow in Montepulciano

Here are some great shots of the recent snow in Montepulciano as posted by Giacomo Stuart, the owner of the Politian apartments where we stayed in May.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10337...62366033100833
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 05:54 PM

Just wow!
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 05:57 PM

Thanks Bob! It's beautiful (but then I really like snow and lots of it). It does look like they got quite a bit and I hope it doesn't cause too many problems.

Ciao from Park City
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 06:13 PM

I like lots of snow too, but I don't think I would do very well climbing around Montepulciano in that much of it.

Remarkable pictures. Thanks.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 06:22 PM

Very beautiful. I was envious.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 06:37 PM

I wonder if nytraveler thinks they should just put kitty litter on it.

Montepulciano was in an overnight state of emergency, and only late today was able to say with some confidence that all elderly people in town were no longer isolated, and news reports and local officials credited remarkable civic spirit for helping dig out emergency services. The forecasts of extended freezing weather have made officials plead with people not to travel unless absolutely neceassary, as they fear severe icing is inevitable and will last for days.

Similar dangerous situations occurred throughout the Tuscan hilltowns, and Siena was hit very hard.

But at least no reports out of Italy thus far of desperate people clawing for coal in scrap heaps as is going on in Hungary or people in Serbia fearing wolves will enter their towns in search of food. Bet those pictures are gorgeous.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 07:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Some streets in Montepulciano would be treacherous in rain. I can't imagine trying to get around in snow, and I guess that's why there are few people in the photos! Thanks for posting the link, Bob.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 09:00 PM

Montepulciano is a nightmare in snow.

Oddly for a town where extreme cold isn't at all rare in winter, its street surfaces get very slippery very quickly (presumably God forgot to add anti-slip qualities to the local stone). I was in a group a couple of years ago that had to crawl up to the cathedral, and come back down sitting on our bottoms. And those of us who still broke a limb simply put up with it for a day or two because Accident & Emergency at Poggibonsi just wasn't able to cope with the surge in broken arms and legs.

But it looked stunning: from a mile or so away even more dramatic than the snaps the OP's posted. And it did bring out Italians' extraordinary (and so frequently hidden under normal circs) sense of communal solidarity.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 09:04 PM

breathtakingly beautiful, thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 04:48 AM

Why, what a smart observation to post that what a visitor to Italy generally experiences is that Italian culture is really focused on the individual rather than the commune. About the last thing a tourist would begin to guess is that Italians deeply care about each other or are willing to help others in general. Guess it takes a picture of a snowstorm to realize maybe tourists' impressions don't begin to touch the "hidden" reality. Whooda thunk Italians would pitch in during a crisis? More wows.

But actually, this was my favorite line of the day, from an American news report of the snow in Rome:

"The unaccustomed snow caused traffic jams around the ancient city."